Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Odds on our first rnd pick...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I am a Benjamin fan but Even I don't like him at #15. You have to give me better value (+ player) as a 3rd round pick to go along with Benjamin meaning trade down. That will be a challenge in itself to get a partner. Gilbert, Dennard, & Evans are the "realistic" targets. If they aren't there & you can't trade out...BPA. I hate some of the options, as well as many in here, as BPA...But I would understand.

The more & more I plug scenarios in the Top 14 picks...I seem to get a group of 6 players that keep coming up. The Top 3 of the list is Gilbert, Dennard, & Evans....And they fill that "Want" category. Any of the 3 I would be very pleased with. I also feel that if none of them are there...They will try & get out. The bottom 3 of the list Ebron, Lewan, & Barr seem to be the BPA players remaining. If the Steelers can't get out of #15...I would take them in that order. My choice would be getting out before I take any of Ebron, Lewan, & Barr as BPA. I feel Fuller, Benajmin, Mosley, Nix, Hageman, or any WR is a reach at #15. Fuller would be the closest riser out of that group...But still...I still feel a reach at #15.

The flurry in FA plugged allot of voids but it also tells me the Steelers are preparing for the dreaded BPA in the 1st. The pick that could have many going WTF. The have done a pretty decent job of covering the "Just in case." There is an equally realistic chance that it doesn't happen...But they are prepared if it does. Even if it does happen...The pick at #15 if BPA will make the team better. Before the draft...I could put together a 53 that would be better than the 53 that finished 6-2 with 2 vet min FA signings. One would be Kiesel. I think the Steelers are holding off on Kiesel because signing him could hinder the 53 depth chart not knowing what the draft will bring. The new position coaches, guys returning from injury, & young players making strides could impact just how better that 53 is but even not taking that into account...I feel it is better. I feel it is a playoff team...But not a contender. The have to close the gap on some teams. That's where the draft & the development of what they have right now comes in.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    He is probably bigger than Farrior was for most of his career with us. I recall reading once that Farrior was playing at 220lbs or less. Timmons just happens to be a physical freak with his combination of size and athleticism.

One named not mentioned which could be a real wildcard is Ryan Shazier. He fits the "run and hit" type LB that Tomlin loves. Tremendous speed and sideline to sideline pursuit capability which is becoming more critical as teams use TEs and RBs more as pass catchers.
    Mosely could be just like Keith Rivers, or he could be closer to Kuechley....very tough to tell with bama defenders lately

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    I think that is pretty close. I would have Mosley much higher, maybe as high as second on that list. We don't have a starting quality ILB on this roster. Mosley is a tackling machine. If it's not a DB, and Evans don't fall...it's not going to be a WR. The draft is too deep in the second at WR. They will be looking for a big school guy on D who has produced...and Mosley fits that bill. I think it will be one of 4 guys...Dennard, Gilbert, Mosley, or Ebron.
    My worry with Mosely is that I wonder if they are willing to pass because they have bigger, more immediate needs (WR and CB). IMO, Mosley should be rated higher than Benjamin, for example, however, I suspect if Dennard, Gilbert and Evans were gone, they might choose Benjamin over Mosely.

Here's to hoping for Dennard to still be there.
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!

DeVille's Early April Mock (In Progress)
    1.20 - Kool-Aid McKinstry, CB, Alabama
    2.51 - Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan
    3.84 -Sedrick Van Pran-Granger, C, Georgia
    3.98 -<tbd>
    4.117 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    6.178 - Travis Glover, OT, Ga State
    6.195 - Dillon Johnson, RB, Washington

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerOfDeVille View Post
    My worry with Mosely is that I wonder if they are willing to pass because they have bigger, more immediate needs (WR and CB). IMO, Mosley should be rated higher than Benjamin, for example, however, I suspect if Dennard, Gilbert and Evans were gone, they might choose Benjamin over Mosely.

Here's to hoping for Dennard to still be there.
    I just don't see it. While DB and WR might be bigger needs I can't think of an ILB I am happy filling that position. Benjamin is reported to have poor motivation, having his QB have to give him the ole finger wag in order to get him moving. That doesn't scream 15 to me. If they were bent on WR, they would roll with Lee. But, I don't think they are bent on WR in the first. In fact, I think they know it won't be WR in the first, unless Evans or Watkins miraculously fall. I'm not even sure I can convince myself of Ebron considering the Steelers like TEs that can block. So, I must stand pat and say it's likely Dennard, Gilbert or Mosley...with Barr as a remote possibility as well.
    Trolls are people too.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    Mosely could be just like Keith Rivers, or he could be closer to Kuechley....very tough to tell with bama defenders lately
    Yeah, as Bama ILB of recent vintage go, Rolando McClain has been an unmitigated disaster of a pick, and Dont'a Hightower has been nothing to write home about.

If you are going to place guys like Luke Kuechly and Patrick Willis on one end of the early LB spectrum and Keith Rivers and Aaron Curry on the other end of the early LB spectrum, I see more a chance of bust potential than elite level dominance from Mosley. But that's just me. I'll pass on him in the first. Sure, ILB is a need, but it always seems like you can get a Bobby Wagner type or a Laurinaitis/Posluzsny type on day two of the draft instead.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Administrator

User Info Menu

I just don't see it. While DB and WR might be bigger needs I can't think of an ILB I am happy filling that position. Benjamin is reported to have poor motivation, having his QB have to give him the ole finger wag in order to get him moving. That doesn't scream 15 to me. If they were bent on WR, they would roll with Lee. But, I don't think they are bent on WR in the first. In fact, I think they know it won't be WR in the first, unless Evans or Watkins miraculously fall. I'm not even sure I can convince myself of Ebron considering the Steelers like TEs that can block. So, I must stand pat and say it's likely Dennard, Gilbert or Mosley...with Barr as a remote possibility as well.
    Very possible. I could see Ebron and Lee being rated high l but I wouldn't be the least bit suprised if the Steelers FO rank Dennard, Gilbert, Mosley and Barr all higher than Benjamin, Ebron and Lee.

Barr could be a suprise selection IMO. He could be one of those guys that the Steelers FO rated very high but falls because a run on of QBs, LTs, etc.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

if barr is there, you have to take him, IMO

let woirlds play out the tender and roll with jones/barr in 2015

you would have those guys cheap for 3-4 years

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Spaghetti View Post
    if barr is there, you have to take him, IMO

let woirlds play out the tender and roll with jones/barr in 2015

you would have those guys cheap for 3-4 years
    The original thought with Timmons was to play OLB, but when we also drafted Woodley to play OLB, Timmons was moved inside.

Similarly, the original thought with Jarvis Jones was to play OLB, but if we also drafted Anthony Barr to play OLB, perhaps Jones could be moved inside as well.

Worilds-Jones-Timmons-Barr? You could blitz any combination of those guys from anywhere at any time, including various inside-outside stunt blitzes, overloading one side, etc.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I'm not even sure I can convince myself of Ebron considering the Steelers like TEs that can block.
    I've warmed on Ebron, to the point of him being maybe #2-3 on my (realistic) wish list. I've read scouts say that he displays a willingness to block (which is generally better than "the ability to block"). One of the things about Ebron that I would like to feel more confident about, is his persona. I have no basis for this, but I feel like he has some prima donna in him. Ideally, I want a Heath Miller (team first, humble) kind of guy. Humble may not be realistic (in today's game)... but I do not want a chest-thumper.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shoe View Post
    I've warmed on Ebron, to the point of him being maybe #2-3 on my (realistic) wish list. I've read scouts say that he displays a willingness to block (which is generally better than "the ability to block"). One of the things about Ebron that I would like to feel more confident about, is his persona. I have no basis for this, but I feel like he has some prima donna in him. Ideally, I want a Heath Miller (team first, humble) kind of guy. Humble may not be realistic (in today's game)... but I do not want a chest-thumper.
    I wonder what a guy like that would learn from guys like Heath and Spaeth?