Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1119202122 LastLast

Thread: Steelers select Benny Snell, RB, Kentucky

Legend

User Info Menu

Wednesday, Jun 05, 2019 04:35 PM

Snell a bundle of energy

Teresa Varley

Steelers.com

When Benny Snell is on the football field, you can feel the energy he brings to the offense.

When he talks, Snell brings that same energy, enthusiasm, and his love for the game can’t be hidden.

“I enjoy every minute,” said Snell, who put that enthusiasm on display during the team's media day on Wednesday. “I am a sponge to everyone. Every coach, every player, every veteran. I take things from them and take it to the field.”

�� This is @benny_snell football. �� pic.twitter.com/SkPCIeRZGO
    — Teresa Varley (@Teresa_Varley) June 5, 2019

Snell said he welcomes all of the feedback, whether it be from his fellow running backs James Conner and Jaylen Samuels, or from someone on the other side of the ball.

“After a certain play others besides James and Jaylen will say something. I have linebackers and defensive backs correcting me,” said Snell. “It’s like a brotherhood. Like it was in Kentucky. I felt comfortable there and I feel comfortable here.”

Snell admitted he didn’t know what to expect coming in, if he would get that kind of support or if the intense competition that comes with fighting for a roster spot would keep guys from being so helpful.

“It is surprising,” said Snell. “You would think some guys would want to just handle their business and be isolated. I know from personal experience, coming from a program that wasn’t much to something that is big, that is how you make it far and take it places when everybody is on the same page, wants to get better. Everyone is helpful. It’s a great team environment. A great feeling.”

One of the biggest adjustments for Snell is learning a new system and while the physical side takes some getting accustomed to, it’s the mental side that really has him on his toes.

“It’s really the mental side,” said Snell. “From where I came from it was all signals. This is like you huddle up, call the plays and let’s go. It just takes learning.

“You just have to be able to go at your own pace, but learn and get better every day or people will pass you by. It’s about learning from every experience.”

At this point it’s way too soon to know what Snell’s role is going to be with just a week of OTAs in the books. But whatever is asked, you can be sure he will enthusiastically attack it.

“Wherever coach wants me, wherever he wants to put his trust in me,” said Snell. “I will block, run, catch. Whatever they ask. I want to see the field as soon as possible.”

Having fun: Steelers players spent the last two days smiling for the camera...and growling too...as a part of the team's media days. it was the first look at some of the newcomers in the black and gold.

Lookin' good @_Dbush11‼️ pic.twitter.com/JIUak46k4j
    — Pittsburgh Steelers (@steelers) June 5, 2019

Monster Boys���� @JamesConner_ pic.twitter.com/pCcUMF26UY
    — Donte Moncrief (@drm_12) June 5, 2019

SteelerNation this year will be one to remember ‼️#TeamGray pic.twitter.com/EI8jU59iYg
    — Derwin Gray (@Teamgrayy) June 5, 2019

https://www.steelers.com/news/snell-a-bundle-of-energy
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Banned

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    Someone needs to # Florio that the Steelers have replaced Bell, and quite nicely.
    North, some just can't let it go. LOL

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    Wednesday, Jun 05, 2019 04:35 PM

Snell a bundle of energy

Teresa Varley

Steelers.com

When Benny Snell is on the football field, you can feel the energy he brings to the offense.

When he talks, Snell brings that same energy, enthusiasm, and his love for the game can’t be hidden.

“I enjoy every minute,” said Snell, who put that enthusiasm on display during the team's media day on Wednesday. “I am a sponge to everyone. Every coach, every player, every veteran. I take things from them and take it to the field.”

�� This is @benny_snell football. �� pic.twitter.com/SkPCIeRZGO
    — Teresa Varley (@Teresa_Varley) June 5, 2019

Snell said he welcomes all of the feedback, whether it be from his fellow running backs James Conner and Jaylen Samuels, or from someone on the other side of the ball.

“After a certain play others besides James and Jaylen will say something. I have linebackers and defensive backs correcting me,” said Snell. “It’s like a brotherhood. Like it was in Kentucky. I felt comfortable there and I feel comfortable here.”

Snell admitted he didn’t know what to expect coming in, if he would get that kind of support or if the intense competition that comes with fighting for a roster spot would keep guys from being so helpful.

“It is surprising,” said Snell. “You would think some guys would want to just handle their business and be isolated. I know from personal experience, coming from a program that wasn’t much to something that is big, that is how you make it far and take it places when everybody is on the same page, wants to get better. Everyone is helpful. It’s a great team environment. A great feeling.”

One of the biggest adjustments for Snell is learning a new system and while the physical side takes some getting accustomed to, it’s the mental side that really has him on his toes.

“It’s really the mental side,” said Snell. “From where I came from it was all signals. This is like you huddle up, call the plays and let’s go. It just takes learning.

“You just have to be able to go at your own pace, but learn and get better every day or people will pass you by. It’s about learning from every experience.”

At this point it’s way too soon to know what Snell’s role is going to be with just a week of OTAs in the books. But whatever is asked, you can be sure he will enthusiastically attack it.

“Wherever coach wants me, wherever he wants to put his trust in me,” said Snell. “I will block, run, catch. Whatever they ask. I want to see the field as soon as possible.”

Having fun: Steelers players spent the last two days smiling for the camera...and growling too...as a part of the team's media days. it was the first look at some of the newcomers in the black and gold.

Lookin' good @_Dbush11‼️ pic.twitter.com/JIUak46k4j
    — Pittsburgh Steelers (@steelers) June 5, 2019

Monster Boys���� @JamesConner_ pic.twitter.com/pCcUMF26UY
    — Donte Moncrief (@drm_12) June 5, 2019

SteelerNation this year will be one to remember ‼️#TeamGray pic.twitter.com/EI8jU59iYg
    — Derwin Gray (@Teamgrayy) June 5, 2019

https://www.steelers.com/news/snell-a-bundle-of-energy
    Ruthless IDK who this writer is but if she can "feel the energy" from a walk through in shorts I hope she's not at Latrobe when the pads go on or we'll likely need rescue to get her out of there n one piece at the end of the day.!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Iron City Inc. View Post
    Ruthless IDK who this writer is but if she can "feel the energy" from a walk through in shorts I hope she's not at Latrobe when the pads go on or we'll likely need rescue to get her out of there n one piece at the end of the day.!
    Who knows...Benny could be one of those guys (like Juju, for instance) who seems to bring out positive energetic vibes from others wherever he seems to go.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    Who knows...Benny could be one of those guys (like Juju, for instance) who seems to bring out positive energetic vibes from others wherever he seems to go.
    I get it. I just want to see some things on the field first before I get excited. We needed another back n Snell resume is solid I'm good with him.

Legend

User Info Menu

Benny Snell Jr. to prove to the Steelers he is more than just a power running back

When the Pittsburgh Steelers drafted Benny Snell Jr., they knew they got a pure power running back. Snell is out to prove he can do more than just power running.

By Jeff.Hartman@BnGBlitz Jun 8, 2019

With Le’Veon Bell now a member of the New York Jets, the Pittsburgh Steelers running backs all have their own areas where they excel. James Conner, probably the most complete of the Steelers running backs, is best suited for a one-cut downhill style of running attack. In contrast, Jaylen Samuels proved last year he might lead the group in versatility. With the ability to run routes and catch passes out of the backfield, Samuels is a matchup nightmare for the opposition.

Then there is rookie Benny Snell Jr.

Snell Jr. was labeled as a bruising power runner coming out of Kentucky, but after rookie minicamp and Organized Team Activities (OTAs) Snell is out to prove he is more than just a power running back, but an all-around talent to help round out the stable of backs.

“I can block, run, catch; whatever they say, I’ll be happy to do,” Snell told Chris Adamski of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review after an OTA session. “I want to see the field as soon as possible.”

Maybe Snell is following the path of some of the other rookies in how they are taking a ‘the more you can do’ approach to not just making the 53-man roster, but to seeing the field sooner, rather than later.

Snell, who stands 5-feet 10-inches tall and weighs roughly 245 lbs., set school records running the football, but didn’t do the same catching the ball out of the backfield. In his final year at Kentucky, Snell caught 17 passes for 105 yards. Over this three years in college Snell registered just 29 receptions for a whopping 216 yards and no touchdowns.

Not that this part of his game isn’t strong, maybe just not showcased while in Kentucky, but if Snell wants to see the field as a rookie he will need to show he is capable of pass blocking, catching the ball as well as running the ball effectively at the professional level. Even Snell knows how the game changes from the college level to the NFL, he has seen it already in offseason workouts.

“The game is really fast,” Snell said. “It’s like, you just got to be able to go at your own pace but you have to be able to learn and get better everyday — because if you don’t get better every day, everyone will pass you by. So, it’s really about always learning from each experience.”

For Snell, and the rest of the rookies, the next step in the process is mandatory minicamp on June 11-13, but it is what follows which is the true test. Training Camp. When the pads go on and the cans and cannots are deciphered in front of coaches and fans alike.

I have a feeling Benny Snell Jr. can’t wait for those hot days at Saint Vincent College to prove himself.

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.co...k-james-conner

Banned

User Info Menu

I can’t wait to see what skills he brings.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Maniac View Post
    I can’t wait to see what skills he brings.
    I have one of my feelings about this young man. And I’m seeing a trend upward when it comes to positivity and character. The locker room should have a very different vibe this season. I have very little worries about the Steelers O this season. The D should be much better though I worry about depth.

Banned

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    I have one of my feelings about this young man. And I’m seeing a trend upward when it comes to positivity and character. The locker room should have a very different vibe this season. I have very little worries about the Steelers O this season. The D should be much better though I worry about depth.
    I’m with you Shawn; I’m really not worried about the offensive side of things. My focus is the back 7 on defense.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    dude you shoulda asked me... i coulda told ya months ago... LOL
    easily my favorite selection in this draft....
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!

DeVille's Late-March Mock (In Progress)
    1.20 - Jackson Powers-Johnson, C, Oregon
    2.51 - "WR/DL/CB" (tbd)
    3.84 -
    "WR/DL/CB" (tbd)
    3.98 - "WR/DL/CB" (tbd)
    4.117 - Jordan Travis, QB, FSU
    6.178 -Travis Glover, OT, Ga State
    6.195 - Isaac Guerendo, RB, Louisville