Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do The Steelers Lack Swagger?

Legend

User Info Menu

Do The Steelers Lack Swagger?

I know Ike T talks about his swaggin. But guys like Farrior and Ward had real swagger on the field. And it was infectious.

Nothing got this team going like Hines taking a shot and popping up with a huge smile. And coming back at a guy to lay him out before he took another shot.

Or James barking on the field and getting everyone livened up. And seeing one of the lightest guys on the field hitting like a ton of bricks was uplifting.

This team has a lot of talented players in Ben, Heath, Troy, James, Timmy. But these guys are quiet, introverted, and just don't have a leadership gene in them. They each bring something to the table and in many ways are some of the most impressive players at their positions in the league. But I just don't see these guys lifting the play of those around them.

Quite possibly the only guys we have with any semblance of leadership are Larry Foote, Willie Colon, and Ryan Clark. One's a small, weak, and slow MLB, the other can't get through a season healthy, and the latter is a FS that can't play the ball in the air.

Maybe it's a question of guys giving everything they've got. And by everything I mean physically, mentally, and emotionally.

This team has talent, but it's missing swagger. I hope Tomlin/Colbert figure this out and draft a little swagger come April.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

What you do on the field creates swagger not what a player says. When your winning ball games on a consistent basis your automatically swaggin.
    Heath Miller is the quite swagger, his performance on the field says' it all.

What we may be missing is the emotional leader, like when we had Joey Porter challenging Ray Lewis to get off the bus so he could kick his butt.

New England doesn't come across as a team thats real vocal or emotional, they just score tons of points and they do it consistently year after year, thats what the Steelers really are missing....scoring points.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by supersteeler View Post
    What you do on the field creates swagger not what a player says. When your winning ball games on a consistent basis your automatically swaggin.
    Heath Miller is the quite swagger, his performance on the field says' it all.

What we may be missing is the emotional leader, like when we had Joey Porter challenging Ray Lewis to get off the bus so he could kick his butt.

New England doesn't come across as a team thats real vocal or emotional, they just score tons of points and they do it consistently year after year, thats what the Steelers really are missing....scoring points.
    Heath's got 2 of the 3, but he might be the definition of emotionless. Our talented players are like zombies.

On the same note, I hate a guy that is emotional but doesn't give 100%.

The Pats haven't won a SuperBowl in a while either. They used to have some guys with swagger on D in Law, Seymore, and Harrison. They also haven't won a SuperBowl since they lost their swagger on D.

We need a healthy Troy and Harrison to get an edge. Harrison lost some of his edge with all the Goodell fines. I do think Troy is capable of carrying the entire D if healthy. But he's on his own wavelength and playing in his own world.

Legend

User Info Menu

Yes they lacked swagger last season.
    Trolls are people too.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Some would say, which comes first, the swagger or the wins? Some would argue you have to win to grow swagger. I think when you try to swag while losing, you come off looking like a fool or punk. And if you keep losing, your artificial swagg will soon disappear. You can't fake it. That is like when our WR turn all punk with the celebration of a first down. Grow up. That is weak stuff.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    I know Ike T talks about his swaggin. But guys like Farrior and Ward had real swagger on the field. And it was infectious.

Nothing got this team going like Hines taking a shot and popping up with a huge smile. And coming back at a guy to lay him out before he took another shot.

Or James barking on the field and getting everyone livened up. And seeing one of the lightest guys on the field hitting like a ton of bricks was uplifting.

This team has a lot of talented players in Ben, Heath, Troy, James, Timmy. But these guys are quiet, introverted, and just don't have a leadership gene in them. They each bring something to the table and in many ways are some of the most impressive players at their positions in the league. But I just don't see these guys lifting the play of those around them.

Quite possibly the only guys we have with any semblance of leadership are Larry Foote, Willie Colon, and Ryan Clark. One's a small, weak, and slow MLB, the other can't get through a season healthy, and the latter is a FS that can't play the ball in the air.

Maybe it's a question of guys giving everything they've got. And by everything I mean physically, mentally, and emotionally.

This team has talent, but it's missing swagger. I hope Tomlin/Colbert figure this out and draft a little swagger come April.
    Didn't the team have seasons that didn't live up to expectations with Ward and Farrior? Two realistic reasons why this team didn't live up to expectations were turnovers and injuries. Lack of swagger didn't have much to do with the losses this season.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BURGH86STEEL View Post
    Didn't the team have seasons that didn't live up to expectations with Ward and Farrior? Two realistic reasons why this team didn't live up to expectations were turnovers and injuries. Lack of swagger didn't have much to do with the losses this season.
    No question!

Legend

User Info Menu

Maybe swagger is simply ability. I guess what I see missing here is a desire to achieve greatness. We've got the #1 ranked D in the league. But they played timid. There wasn't a lot of zest or attitude.

Sure Farrior, Ward, Bussie, whoever played on bad teams that didn't have success. But those guys played violently every play. There was no sense of false bravado in their play. It was a genuine drive to be great.

Maybe it's just perception. Maybe strip sacks, forced fumbles, violent hits, etc. seem like swagger?

Legend

User Info Menu

I don't care if they have any swagger, as long as they do their jobs.

Some players who have swagger do a little dance, or flex their muscles, or preen for the cameras after seemingly any tackle, catch, or other play made. . .sometimes even if they're down by three touchdowns. Doesn't impress me at all.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Troy should quit those head & shoulder commercials, and do these, sending the entire team some samples [url]http://advicesisters.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/swagger.jpg[/url] JK