Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Shamarko Thomas is first Steelers draft pick to sign

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

And I remember the term Bustamalu being thrown around here after his first and second seasons.

We will wait and see how Thomas turns out.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    Sounds like a guy we drafted in 2003
    Please don't expect Thomas to be a Polamalu. You will likely be highly disappointed.

Polamalu set a new standard for how SS can be played and is clearly a first ballot HOFer.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    Please don't expect Thomas to be a Polamalu. You will likely be highly disappointed.

Polamalu set a new standard for how SS can be played and is clearly a first ballot HOFer.
    I dont EXPECT Thomas to be good as Troy, who yes is HOF bound.

I however, I LOVE the fact that we just drafted a guy IN THE FOURTH who has a scouting report that at a quick glance could be mistaken for Troy's.

If he is Troy lite that would be........Bob Sanders.

NOT.....TOO......SHABBY

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post

I prefer to expect every Steeler player to be an All Pro until he proves otherwise. Sure, I'll likely be disappointed, but it makes the anticipation more fun. Plus, by the time any player disappoints, there will be another of him in the pipeline to have high expectations all over. Very few ever surpass my expectations, but oh well

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    I dont EXPECT Thomas to be good as Troy, who yes is HOF bound.

I however, I LOVE the fact that we just drafted a guy IN THE FOURTH who has a scouting report that at a quick glance could be mistaken for Troy's.

If he is Troy lite that would be........Bob Sanders.

NOT.....TOO......SHABBY
    I'm with you. In the 4th round, this is my favorite pick in the draft. Heck the whole day 3 of the draft was pretty terrific on paper. Even Justin Brown who seems to be given no chance by anyone.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    Very few ever surpass my expectations, but oh well
    just curious flippy, who was the last Steelers player to surpass your expectations?
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    just curious flippy, who was the last Steelers player to surpass your expectations?
    Ben and Troy are the 2 current guys that come to mind.

Later round picks or UDFAs have also surpassed my expectations over the years as well. Current guys on the roster like Foster, Keisel, Clark, AB, McClendon, Beachum, and Redman.

After seeing guys play, my expectations often become more realistic, then I've been pleasantly surprised by some guys I thought would be awful like Keenan, Dwyer, and even DJ who I thought was turning a big corner last year prior to his injury.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    I'm with you. In the 4th round, this is my favorite pick in the draft.
    Yup, I LOVE this pick in the fourth.
    The team traded a 3rd to get him which tells me they feel he was seriously undervalued.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher

Legend

User Info Menu

The only thing that continues to bug me about the Shamarko pick was that his college coach passed on drafting him 5 times.

He's supposed to have an insane workout regimen and a leader of men...wouldn't Doug Marrone want to bring a guy like that with him to Buffalo?

We took Shamarko with the 111th overall pick in the 4th round, and Marrone's Bills opted to go elsewhere with the following picks:

1.16 QB E.J. Manuel, Florida State
    2.41 WR Robert Woods, USC
    2.46 LB Kiko Alonso, Oregon
    3.78 WR Marquise Goodwin, Texas
    4.105 SS Duke Williams, Nevada

MARRONE CHOSE A DIFFERENT STRONG SAFETY SIX PICKS BEFORE WE TRADED NEXT YEAR'S THIRD ROUND PICK TO GET SHAMARKO. That 4.105 pick is quite bothersome in my mind. It just doesn't make sense to me, unless there is something about Shamarko that his former coach DIDN'T like about him that we don't know about.

Sure, Duke Williams is 2 inches taller than Shamarko (5'11" vs. 5'9"), but the Shark is 10 lbs heavier (203 vs. 213), runs the 40 yard dash .11 seconds faster (4.48 vs. 4.37), had 15 more lifts of 225 lbs on the bench (13 vs. 28...MORE THAN DOUBLED HIM), jumped 3 inches higher in the vertical (37.5 vs. 40.5), and jumped 7 inches farther in the broad (10'6" vs. 11'1"). NFLDraftScout.com (one of the most respected draft sites on the internet; CBS Sports and USA Today use them) had Shamarko projected as a 3rd or 4th round prospect, with Duke Williams projected as a 5th round prospect. It's not as if Duke Williams is a ball-hawk either (he has 1 INT this season, 1 INT last season, and 2 INT's the year before that). I can't wrap my mind around why in the world that Marrone would take someone like Duke Williams over a known quantity like Shamarko Thomas at the same position. It bothers me.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    The only thing that continues to bug me about the Shamarko pick was that his college coach passed on drafting him 5 times.

He's supposed to have an insane workout regimen and a leader of men...wouldn't Doug Marrone want to bring a guy like that with him to Buffalo?

We took Shamarko with the 111th overall pick in the 4th round, and Marrone's Bills opted to go elsewhere with the following picks:

1.16 QB E.J. Manuel, Florida State
    2.41 WR Robert Woods, USC
    2.46 LB Kiko Alonso, Oregon
    3.78 WR Marquise Goodwin, Texas
    4.105 SS Duke Williams, Nevada

MARRONE CHOSE A DIFFERENT STRONG SAFETY SIX PICKS BEFORE WE TRADED NEXT YEAR'S THIRD ROUND PICK TO GET SHAMARKO. That 4.105 pick is quite bothersome in my mind. It just doesn't make sense to me, unless there is something about Shamarko that his former coach DIDN'T like about him that we don't know about.

Sure, Duke Williams is 2 inches taller than Shamarko (5'11" vs. 5'9"), but the Shark is 10 lbs heavier (203 vs. 213), runs the 40 yard dash .11 seconds faster (4.48 vs. 4.37), had 15 more lifts of 225 lbs on the bench (13 vs. 28...MORE THAN DOUBLED HIM), jumped 3 inches higher in the vertical (37.5 vs. 40.5), and jumped 7 inches farther in the broad (10'6" vs. 11'1"). NFLDraftScout.com (one of the most respected draft sites on the internet; CBS Sports and USA Today use them) had Shamarko projected as a 3rd or 4th round prospect, with Duke Williams projected as a 5th round prospect. It's not as if Duke Williams is a ball-hawk either (he has 1 INT this season, 1 INT last season, and 2 INT's the year before that). I can't wrap my mind around why in the world that Marrone would take someone like Duke Williams over a known quantity like Shamarko Thomas at the same position. It bothers me.
    That's some great info.

I am still hopeful because

(1) A brand new coach might not have much - if any - input on draft decisions. Their FO might have put more faith in their scouting team that got to see a more diverse group. They may have also fallen in love with Williams for one reason or another. The Coach's vote may have been to get Shark, but he may have been over-ruled. It's too bad we'd never get any "insider" info on something like this.

(2) It's not like the Bills are a shining example of how to run a franchise. Hopefully, this is just one of their many post K-Gun screw-ups with personnel.