Thread: This could go down as one of the greatest Steeler drafts of all-time...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

This could go down as one of the greatest Steeler drafts of all-time...

I can see 5 starters come out of this draft. Jarvis Jones, Le'Veon Bell, Markus Wheaton, Shamarko Thomas, and Vince Williams. That in itself will make this a very successful draft for the Steelers. And if what Bill Polain believes is true (Landry Jones is the best QB in this draft), it could net a very large return for the Steelers in some way or another.

From what I have read the Steelers already believe that Vince Williams very well could fill the ILB position for Larry Foote this year or next. Sharmako Thomas may be the steal of this draft. He has big play starter ability all over him. A 4.38 40 (his first run at the combine), I believe is what Troy ran when he was timed. That is great closing speed. And when Thomas closes in on a ball carrier, he hit's like a truck. Le'Veon is also already be thought of as a first year contributer/starter. And we all know the ability of Jarvis Jones. Mike Wallace departure and the possibility of Emmanuel Sanders leaving after next year means that Markus Wheaton could get a lot of looks immediately.

The media keeps talking about how great the 49ers draft was but reality is, most of those picks wont play much because of the talent ahead of them.

I really am excited about this years Steeler draft. I believe they got 5 starters out of it. And starters sooner than later.
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

Legend

User Info Menu

I love this draft. I've been as critical of Tomlin drafts as anyone, but I really believe they knocked it out of the park on this one.

Jarvy and Shark make this draft for me. I think you got 2 perennial All Pros in those 2. I really like what they did defensively getting the Williams brothers and Hawthorne who Lake thinks he can turn into another Ike. We have some major upside in those 3 other D picks.

Offensively, I'm not as excited. I'm intrigued by Wheaton who I think ran as slow a 40 as Jarvis relative to his real speed. He strides like Wally, but he runs his routes much better. And the Steelers have a knack for finding WRs. Also interested in Brown because of the Steelers' success with WR.

The RB and the QB, I'm just gonna have to wait and see what we got. Hope everyone's right and we landed the best QB in the draft and the next Eddie George.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I'm a big fan of this draft too Dub, think it looks good from top to bottom. Of course, I was a HUGE fan of the 2008 draft with Mendy and Sweed. I thought Sweed has 10 year pro-bowler, 7 time All-Pro written all over him.
    go to [URL]http://www.thebreastcancersite.com[/URL] to donate a free mammogram a day to women without health insurance.

Backup

User Info Menu

Terry Hawthorne can be a starter within two years when Ike go or retire too. I agree with you this is a helluva draft.
    Steeler Nation in Spain

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Dang guys, I'm sold on every pick from 2-7, and I'm coming around on pick 17. But Dub, your laying on the hyperbole pretty thick. I hope it goes better for you this time than Barkley's pro day prediction.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigRob View Post
    Dang guys, I'm sold on every pick from 2-7, and I'm coming around on pick 17. But Dub, your laying on the hyperbole pretty thick. I hope it goes better for you this time than Barkley's pro day prediction.
    Of course, you have to throw out 1974 when we got 4 HOFers. But beyond that class, this might have the potential to be as good as just about any other.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    Of course, you have to throw out 1974 when we got 4 HOFers. But beyond that class, this might have the potential to be as good as just about any other.
    The title of this thread is..."This could go down as one of the greatest Steelers drafts of all-time". Not, "This is the greatest Steeler draft of all-time".

Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSpain View Post
    Terry Hawthorne can be a starter within two years when Ike go or retire too. I agree with you this is a helluva draft.
    if Hawthorne=Taylor in two seasons, then the Steelers secondary is set for years. that is a huge deal in this pass-happy league. but the Steelers really need to fix the pass rush to go along, otherwise the Tom Bradys of the league will shred the defense regardless of how good the secondary is.

Legend

User Info Menu

Steelers’ Tomlin keeps expections in check for first-year players

Published: Saturday, May 4, 2013
    By Alan Robinson

Linebacker Jarvis Jones, the Steelers' first-round pick, works out at rookie camp Friday, May 3, 2013

Coach Mike Tomlin's first impression of what might be the Steelers' most heavily counted-upon rookie class in years is no different from that of any other rookie class in any other year.

Only a week after being drafted, these guys aren't nearly ready to be NFL players.

They're only beginning to learn a playbook and terminology that seem foreign to many. They're only beginning to learn what it's like to play at a level where everyone is very good and easily exploitable weaknesses are very few.

“We're just laying a foundation for their careers,” Tomlin said. “It's just familiarizing yourself with the young men, how they learn and how they move, areas in which they may be deficient.”

So, while there is on-field work at the three-day rookie minicamp that winds up Sunday, it is the classroom instruction that is most important on the first weekend these players can officially call themselves professionals.

“I think that's the first thing these guys need to know about professional football: They have no chance of being what they desire to be unless they are in the best conditioning of their life,” Tomlin said. “That's been a point of emphasis. ... Being able to take things they learn in the classroom and make it happen on the field is another element they'd better learn. There's some urgency involved.”

If only because in two weeks, it won't just be rookies on the South Side practice fields but the veterans as 10 days of offseason practice begin on May 21, followed by a three-day minicamp June 11-13.

That's when first-round draft pick Jarvis Jones will begin to compete with holdover Jason Worilds for the chance to succeed James Harrison at outside linebacker — probably the most-watched positional battle of the offseason.

The Steelers targeted Jones early on during their predraft player analysis, and the former Georgia star wound up falling to them at No. 17. He understands they are counting on big things from him, but those can't be accomplishment until the detail work — the little things — is done.

“That's a long way from now,” Jones said of the Sept. 8 season opener against Tennessee. “The most important thing for me is to come out here, try to get in the best shape I can be, learn the system and do what the coaches ask me to do. They're going to make that decision (about starting).”

Tomlin said no decision has been made about the status of inside linebacker Sean Spence, who is healing from a serious knee injury that involved nerve damage and sidelined him all of last season.

Linebackers coach Keith Butler said a week ago that it would take a miracle for Spence to play this season, but Tomlin won't go that far.

“My opinion differs, but I think he's going to have a full recovery,” Tomlin said.

[URL]http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/3931328-74/tomlin-jones-rookie#ixzz2SR0ouHhO[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha