Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Lolley: Steelers' Contract Situations

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pittpete View Post
    You need to read [URL="http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2013/1/9/3853220/steelers-2013-salary-cap-details-news-options-roster-Woodley-Harrison"]this[/URL], it's just not that easy
    I think the plan is to cut Harrison (which galls me to no end) while restructuring Woodley, Timmons and Ben...

While that sucks, I think that it alleviates the salary cap burden this year and allows for retaining some young players like Keenan Lewis, Jason Worilds and Emmanuel Sanders...

Legend

User Info Menu

Harrison has already said he would agree to a salary cut to stay. I think he'll get that chance.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    I think the $13 million takes only players under contract into consideration...

I don't think it includes any tender offers, tags or the rookie pool under the salary cap...
    Correct. The larger number factors in tenders to RFAs and the rookie cap so what you read can vary. I think it also factors in roster bonuses and the like.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pittpete View Post
    You need to read [URL="http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2013/1/9/3853220/steelers-2013-salary-cap-details-news-options-roster-Woodley-Harrison"]this[/URL], it's just not that easy
    Good read.
    [url=http://img525.imageshack.us/i/steelers2010.jpg/]http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/2...eelers2010.jpg[/url]

Rookie

User Info Menu

If Harrison would accept a pay cut (like Casey did this year), the Steelers could make it work...

I think that cutting Harrison outright before the season saves the Steelers about $5 million...if the Steelers needed that money to get under the cap, James would have to take a $5 million salary cut, leaving him with a salary of roughly $1.5 million...would he stay for that little? Do the Steelers need all of that $5 million savings?

Can he play next season like he played in the last seven games this season? If he can, the Steelers MUST make it work...

Legend

User Info Menu

If Harrison would accept a pay cut (like Casey did this year), the Steelers could make it work...

I think that cutting Harrison outright before the season saves the Steelers about $5 million...if the Steelers needed that money to get under the cap, James would have to take a $5 million salary cut, leaving him with a salary of roughly $1.5 million...would he stay for that little? Do the Steelers need all of that $5 million savings?

Can he play next season like he played in the last seven games this season? If he can, the Steelers MUST make it work...
    Also, keep in mind, if the Steelers replace Harrison, they're going to need to pay a replacement. The bonus portion of the cap charge is there and is not going to change. I think they can, and should, find a cut that makes sense for both parties.

Legend

User Info Menu

If Harrison goes I move Woodley to Harrison's side and Worilds to Woodley's side.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Crash View Post
    If Harrison goes I move Woodley to Harrison's side and Worilds to Woodley's side.
    I agree but doubt it happens.

Legend

User Info Menu

Just looking at the numbers..

Ben, Timmons, Woodley & Colon are potential 'restructures' as they have numerous years left on their contracts. Of course, every restructure will just increase their cap hit for the following years..

Harrison, Polamalu, Ike, Clark & Miller would be bad restructures due to age & contract length remaining. They are potential cut options though (although cutting Miller might border on insanity). Cutting Cotchery would save roughly a million, same with Suisham.

Would suggest that a restructure for Ben & Colon might be most likely, with Harrison getting a 'pay cut' as it is. Wouldn't surprise to see Cotchery released. Not sure where this would place the team, as far as the Salary Cap goes, but it 'should' get them close to under $121m- which would be the aim for the start of FA. Then, if they feel they need to sign a FA, we see other restructures (Timmons/Woodley) or cuts (Ike... particularly if they decide to keep Lewis & extend Allen).

Reckon we're about to see a whole bunch of young players on this team.
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Kool-Aid McKinstry CB
    2. Sedrick Van Pran-Grainger OC
    3. Malachi Corley WR
    3. Maason Smith DT
    4. Matt Goncalves OT
    6. Trevin Wallace ILB
    7. AJ Barner TE

Legend

User Info Menu

I think the plan is to cut Harrison
    I strongly believe that the Steelers will restructure Harrison's contract and Deebo will return for another season at a much lower salary.
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha