Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Calling all D-line gurus

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Calling all D-line gurus

Like most people, I spend most my time watching where the ball goes when I watch a game. I try to notice other elements of play, but I sill tend to just follow the ball, as most do. But I know some focus a bit more on seeing how the D-line is playing, and I wanted to know, from those who pay more attention to that element, if our DE's are playing well, particularly Hood and Heyward. I was looking forward to both of those guys really stepping up their play this season, with Hood, because he has become a work out animal and transformed his body, and Heyward, because usually a good player makes a big jump from rookie to 2nd year. It is especially hard to notice if they are playing well, because in our system, good DL play isn't usually predicated on sacks, etc, making it tougher to determine if they are playing well.

So, what is the verdict? Are Hood and Heyward living up to their first-round pedigrees?

Legend

User Info Menu

i would have to say that our dline performance would be based on the production of our lbs(so i have been told by the dline supporters)
    i wonder how our lbs rank stat-wise?

Legend

User Info Menu

Last game the DL was getting good pressure. I'm not one to look at the trenches but I tried to last game.

Legend

User Info Menu

On TV, it's easiest to watch the ball and sometimes hard to see what's happening on the lines and with the WRs. Anyone get the new packages from the NFL that allow you to watch the views the coaches get to see?

From what I can see on tv, I don't see the guys up front getting a push. They're often getting moved and redirected. I think a lot is on Casey. He used to move the C/G back 3 yards. And that's when we got pressure. It gave the QB no where to step up and avoid pressure on the outside. Collapsing the middle of the pocket is key to this D getting consistent pressure. And it hasn't been happening regularly since the XL SuperBowl. I think that was his downside.

If Casey can't get a push, it's easier to block everyone else on our Dline.

Granted, I don't focus on the Dline on every play. But my general take is we're easy to push around.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

OK, but what about when McClendon is in? It always seems like he is pushing people around up front.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I key in on the D-Line often. One thing I can say is they are merely holding their own and might be giving up a few steps compared to the Keisel, Hampton and Smith line of a few years ago.

Smith could blow things up and rarely got pushed back. A Younger Casey held his ground.

But now i'm noticing our line maintain the LOS at best but often are lose a yard or 2 of ground at the Point of Attack. I guess you could say they're doing their job, but they're not getting penetration and disrupting things in the backfield like the days of old. This of course puts more pressure on the LB's to fill and bring down a RB with a head of steam as opposed to bringing down a guy trying to make something out of nothing.

Now if you want to see bad, watch the Buffalo Bills. They're giving up huge chunks of yardage b/c their D-Line aren't maintaining any ground. Last week I watch their Pro Bowl DT Kyle Williams get "washed" down the line out of his gap leaving a HUGE running lane for Frank Gore. Compared to that, our O-Line doesn't look so bad
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SidSmythe View Post
    I key in on the D-Line often. One thing I can say is they are merely holding their own and might be giving up a few steps compared to the Keisel, Hampton and Smith line of a few years ago.

Smith could blow things up and rarely got pushed back. A Younger Casey held his ground.

But now i'm noticing our line maintain the LOS at best but often are lose a yard or 2 of ground at the Point of Attack. I guess you could say they're doing their job, but they're not getting penetration and disrupting things in the backfield like the days of old. This of course puts more pressure on the LB's to fill and bring down a RB with a head of steam as opposed to bringing down a guy trying to make something out of nothing.

Now if you want to see bad, watch the Buffalo Bills. They're giving up huge chunks of yardage b/c their D-Line aren't maintaining any ground. Last week I watch their Pro Bowl DT Kyle Williams get "washed" down the line out of his gap leaving a HUGE running lane for Frank Gore. Compared to that, our O-Line doesn't look so bad
    For all the money and investment they have in that D-Line, it is absurd how poorly their defense is performing.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SidSmythe View Post

That surprises me, about the Bills. They were advertised as having a DL that was all that and a bag of chips. Mario Williams, former first round over all pick, who is supposed to possess superman-like skills. Marcell Dareus and Kyle Williams - Dareus had a monster rookie season (43 tackles, 5.5 sacks); that guys is a massive load and crazy powerful. Kyle destroyed our OL last year when we played them. He can be disruptive as hell. Chris Kelsay averaged 47 tackles per season and though he may never have had a double digit sack total any year, he's a constant, stable force on the line. Anderson got a decent 4 year contract worth $19.5 mil, but Kelsay has been good for 9 years. It shocks me that this DL stinks. At least 3 of the guys on there should be dominant. Maybe they play undisciplined? Id Mario under-achieving? Only 1.5 sacks and 9 tackles would seem to indicate so. Too bad for Bills fans; I thought their DL was going to be dominant and I even drafted their D on my fantasy team, with this in mind (I have yet to star them; my other D is Houston).

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lloydroid View Post
    OK, but what about when McClendon is in? It always seems like he is pushing people around up front.
    I thought McClendon looked good in the preseason against Philly and then last week against Philly. I think it has to do with their OLine.

Other times I've seen him in the game, I've seen him getting blocked by 1 guy and controlled. That can't work in a 3-4. We need a beast of an NT. He seems better suited to be a 4-3 DT. I really like McClendon, but I think we're trying square peg, round hole a couple of these guys.

Even Keisel's not perfect for the 3-4. People used to get on him when he became a starter to better control his gaps and play the run better without getting washed out. He's gotten stronger and is a solid 3-4 DE. But he had a freakish size/speed combo and he could really get after a QB when he was a 3rd down replacement for Kimo. I really think Keisel could have been the Levon Kirkland of 3-4 OLBs. But we bulked him up to control the gap better.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

All I can say is the Bills are not getting their money's worth.

I think the Steelers D-Line is still playing well, just not dominant like we're use to seeing
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!