Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I charted DL 10 yd cushion defense...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I charted DL 10 yd cushion defense...

Of all the D plays of the Vikings game here is the break down

Press coverage

1man 17 times

2 man 3 times

Of those only three completions on the man in press coverage and

10 of the press was late in the game when the team was behind BIG.

Conversely the Vikings only gave a 10 yd cushion 13 times with 7 of those late in the game. Most of the Vikings was playing within 5 yds of the WR or press coverage.

If anyone that don't think DL time is over, think again. This defense is way too predictable.
    Last edited by Steelhere10; 10-06-2013 at 12:20 AM.
    [url=http://img525.imageshack.us/i/steelers2010.jpg/]http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/2...eelers2010.jpg[/url]

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

The only thing good that I noticed with the 10yd cushion is that the run defense was better, when in press the defense was getting gauge by the run.
    [url=http://img525.imageshack.us/i/steelers2010.jpg/]http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/2...eelers2010.jpg[/url]

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

his philosophy is well known. stop the run, keep everything in front of you, don't allow splash plays. shockingly, the teams we play seem to game plan around knowing what our goals are.
    2014 MNF EXEC CHAMPION!!!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Starlifter View Post
    his philosophy is well known. stop the run, keep everything in front of you, don't allow splash plays. shockingly, the teams we play seem to game plan around knowing what our goals are.
    and that is why our defense has been so porous all these years.
    As many on this site think ... The Rooney's suck, Colbert sucks, Tomlin sucks, the coaches suck, and the players suck.

but Go Steelers!!!

Backup

User Info Menu

The scheme is fine, it is the lack of talent. The D only has 1 play maker and troy can not be every where at once.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by blitz71burgh71 View Post
    The scheme is fine, it is the lack of talent. The D only has 1 play maker and troy can not be every where at once.
    Troy needs to leap the LOS and tackle the QB on every play. Even when offense catch on that he's gonna leap every play, it won't matter. It'll still disrupt the offense

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steelhere10 View Post
    Of all the D plays of the Vikings game here is the break down

Press coverage

1man 17 times

2 man 3 times

Of those only three completions on the man in press coverage and

10 of the press was late in the game when the team was behind BIG.

Conversely the Vikings only gave a 10 yd cushion 13 times with 7 of those late in the game. Most of the Vikings was playing within 5 yds of the WR or press coverage.

If anyone that don't think DL time is over, think again. This defense is way too predictable.
    It is a multi-year trend that allows teams more focused on passing to start their drives by putting the defense on its heels. It allows the easy 7-8 yard catch and makes the down and distance favor the offense.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Teams know it (the 10 yd cushion to start the game) and throw it, score on their first drive, get confidence, and have us back on our heels. Meanwhile, on our first drive we go run run bubble screen punt.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by blitz71burgh71 View Post
    Agreed.
    In 2008, this scheme fielded one of the best defenses of all-time and won the SB. Two years later, we were in the SB again with "DL's scheme." The next year, and the following two years including this one, we have clearly fell off (i.e. takeaways). This (now) three-year trend isn't because the scheme suddenly got figured out.

Twenty years running a scheme, and it suddenly got figured out? No. It is a talent thing. We have no one besides Polamalu, who can make game-changing plays on a regular basis. And even Troy is older now.

Starter

User Info Menu

We have no one besides Polamalu, who can make game-changing plays on a regular basis. And even Troy is older now.[/QUOTE]

I think Timmons is capable. Cortez was being talked about as one who could based on his last couple games last year. Jarvis was supposed to be one of those guys. Maybe DL needs to get a little more aggressive in his calls and trust the guys. I still think if the turnovers were equal we'd be 4-0 or at least 3-1. I hang the losses more on Ben and the OLine.

I was just reading that Clowney missed another game due to nagging injuries. Maybe he will fall to us too, like DD and JJ the last two drafts. He is known as a play-maker on defense.

Anyone hearing anything about Spence? Could he be playing by the end of this season?