Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Steelers interested in Michigan St RB Le'Veon Bell

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    OT: I have played fantasy football only once in my life...it was 2006 and I drafted Steven Jackson in the first...

I won the league that year and decided to retire...it was too nerve wracking for me...

But, I will always be grateful to Steven Jackson...
    Haha... Funny how that works. You always have a soft spot for someone who pulls your @s$ out of the fire (i.e. betting)

As for Bell, it would flat be a mistake to take a guy like that in the first couple rounds. There are plenty of serviceable backs out there! RB is a platoon position in today's NFL, pure and simple. Get Jonathan Franklin in Round 3. Or take Burkhead in 4. It doesn't matter.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Bell isn't "Elite" by no means. If he was elite he would be considered a 1st rounder. If you want to say he may be the most "complete" back in this draft...I would agree. There just isn't an elite RB in this draft. If you want to call him a beast because of his size, I would agree. But he isn't a beast by skillset or what he does on film. If you are watching Youtube highlights and coming away with elite-beast you are watching the wrong things. Grab a game recap of all his plays. Take Northwesterm 2012. You won't come away saying he is elite or beast. You will coming away saying he is a good RB.

Bell isn't overly elusive for his size. He also isn't a punisher his size would suggest. He is a pile mover with good leg drive after contact. He has good mass in his lower half which is a plus. He has good enough feet to make the cuts in the hole. Good receiver & blocker. He doesn't always run behind his pads & gets upright at times relying on his size to break tackles. He seems to have very good vision & patience. Also a good receiver and very willing blocker. Alot to work with. If you want a summary of who Bell can be at the next level it is simple. Bell needs to play as the RB he is and not the RB he thinks he is at the next level. That will be the difference between him being a feature or a compliment back. He needs to be a one cut North & South downhill leaner. He isn't going to bounce & jump cut in the NFL when a LB fills the hole. He will have to lower his pads and run through the tackle...Get positive yards. If he turns his shoulder to the LOS he plays out of his strenghts. He won't be able to rely on bouncing tacklers off his upper body or hurdling tacklers in the open field. I know he could be that back, he has shown it many times.

Adrian Peterson would be that "elite" player for his size I mentioned. AP will either run through you or away from you. Bell isn't that type of back. Dickerson was the same. A taller back but he was also a State Champ track athlete. Bell isn't that type of athlete. I mentioned Eddie George & Jacobs. You could put Arian Foster in that group for a present comparison. I don't think Bell will reach a George or Foster level...If he was a Steelers I sure hope he would. I think the ceiling could be a Jacobs. Bell is not a finished product and he has some work to do at the next level if he wants to become very productive.

All of that aside. I'm a PSU boy. I see every game and watch alot of Big 10 ball. I am bias...But not in a good way. I shy away from Big 10 RBs, WRs, & DBs that don't meet a criteria. From experience & knowing what this conference is about...You better be highly productive on the field and an elite athlete in workouts for me to consider you early in a draft at those positions. If you are highly productive but an average athlete...Won't consider you early. If you are an elite athlete but average production on the field...Won't consider you early. Take a Big 10 OL, TE, FB or front 7 on D and put them in comparision to any other player in a premier conference in the country. At RB, WR, & DB...You better be a special football player in the BIG 10. Until this conference starts pile up exceptions to my rule that are highly productive in the NFL...I'm sticking to it.
    Last edited by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY; 04-10-2013 at 11:13 AM.

Legend

User Info Menu

You act as if I'm not a Big Ten fanatic...and that I haven't watched alot of Bell. Youtube? Come on man. When I refer to being a "beast" I'm referring to his ability to take over a game. He had 3 200 yard games last season with 3 games of 250+ including his receiving. I agree his a complete back who can be elusive, run with power, and catch. Certainly odds are in your favor, but I'm willing to bet that Bell is one of the best, if not the best running back from this class. I'm that sold on this guy.
    Trolls are people too.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    You act as if I'm not a Big Ten fanatic...and that I haven't watched alot of Bell. Youtube? Come on man. When I refer to being a "beast" I'm referring to his ability to take over a game. He had 3 200 yard games last season with 3 games of 250+ including his receiving. I agree his a complete back who can be elusive, run with power, and catch. Certainly odds are in your favor, but I'm willing to bet that Bell is one of the best, if not the best running back from this class. I'm that sold on this guy.
    I can tell you are a big 10 fanatic. 4 of your 6 picks in your mock are Big 10 boys. Maybe you are a little bias in the other direction.

I said Youtube because many pull up the highlihts and fall in love. I generalized my post for many. I can make an undrafted player look draftable just by putting up his highlights. You watch the game log highlights of players to get a feel.

I understand you passion for the player, I just don't share the same enthusiasm on Bell. For example, your 3 200+ yard games were against Boise State, Eastern Mich, & Minnesota. The National rankings for their run defense is Boise State 47th, Eastern Mich 124th, & Minnesota 74th. He also rushed for 188 yards against Nebraska and they rank 92th. Some of his worst games were against ND (17/45), OSU (19/77), & Wis (21/77). Their national rankings in rushing D are ND 11th, OSU 14th, & Wis 25th. I don't see the "beast" of taking over the games against good defenses.

Bell could be one of the best, if not the best running back from this class...I think he has as good a shot as any. I really don't like the class at the Top and I think the talent depth is in th 2-4 range with little drop off. I think Lacy & Bell are the two most complete with Ball & Taylor close behind. That being said, I don't think there is much seperating that group from a Zac Stacy.Those are the types that fit that "Steeler Back" mold but I'm not that sure that is the direction they will go. I think they may be looking for their Ray Rice - Jamaal Charles type. Bradshaw could fit that mold. If they don't sign Bradshaw, maybe look at a Bernard, Franklin, Michael early of a Wood or Graham later.

JUST some FYI...There are some sleeper types who could develop into a well rounded back late in the draft or undrafted. There are guys like Michael Ford, Spencer Ware, Rex Burkhead, Matt Tucker, Mike James, or Cameron Marshall.
    Last edited by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY; 04-11-2013 at 10:58 AM.

Legend

User Info Menu

It's not bias, it's experience. I put people in my draft that I know...and I know can play. I don't know SEC or ACC guys. If you are comfortable reading a scouts opinions, or seeing a highlight reel to come up with your conclusions, well more power to you.
    Trolls are people too.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    It's not bias, it's experience. I put people in my draft that I know...and I know can play. I don't know SEC or ACC guys. If you are comfortable reading a scouts opinions, or seeing a highlight reel to come up with your conclusions, well more power to you.
    I have the same experience in the Big 10 & I go the other direction. Maybe that is your downfall not knowing players in other conferences to gauge them against. Can't be a homer & think they are the cream of the crop because they are not. I see talent..Not my favorites.

I watch many college football games in whole. I have football experience & background. When it comes to your "highlights"... I don't watch highlights, I watch the play count videos. Offensive/Defensive snap highlights. Every offensive snap or defensive snap a player is on the field and don't hold a grade to "highlight" reels when it comes to evaluating. All my opinions on players are my view based on what I see. If you drew that conclusion about me based on all my posts in here...You are way off. It seems to me you are "reading a scouts opinions, or seeing a highlight reel to come up with your conclusions" when you put stock on those 200+ yard games & have no response. If you were watching them or did a little homework you would have known they were bottom of the barrell defenses in the country and not used them in your beast mode argument. When he played against the big boys...It was a different story.

I hate punching holes in a kid I like because someone thinks he is a whole hell of alot more than he is. Bell is a good football player. I wouldn't mind the Steelers selecting him. Bell is a 3rd round talent in my book based on my evaluation. If I would have been at his workouts, interviewed the kid, and put him in front of a chalkboard & watch some of his game film with him....He may have earned late 2nd round consideration. Teams are doing that and there could be a few that grade him out as such. I hope the Steelers aren't one of them. That would be a reach in the 2nd.

Legend

User Info Menu

If you say you are an expert on all the players in your mock then great. Glad to have your well rounded opinion. No need to turn this into a big johnson contest...its just a fun discussion.
    Last edited by Shawn; 04-11-2013 at 03:50 PM.
    Trolls are people too.

Starter

User Info Menu

I'm hoping for Christine Michael. That dude is sick.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 8467thekraken View Post
    I'm hoping for Christine Michael. That dude is sick.
    problem with Michael is he comes with a reputation for having a selfish attitude. do we really want to add a guy like that to our team?
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    problem with Michael is he comes with a reputation for having a selfish attitude. do we really want to add a guy like that to our team?
    Not this guy apparently!
    2022 NFL Mock Draft
    -------------------------------------------
    1. Malik Willis, QB; Liberty
    2. Daniel Faalele, OT; Minnesota
    3. Dante Stills, DT; West Virginia
    7. Riley Moss, CB; Iowa