Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Steeler player news

Legend

User Info Menu

sky-is-falling.jpg
    omgggggggggg

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Losing Harrison 5 years ago would have hurt real bad, but its time worilds steps up and starts. If he can't then carter will. Starks? Yea I love him but they just spent a 2nd on a guy who doesn't have health issues. Lewis? Has had one DECENT year. McClendon can rush the qb but he can't consistently control the center of the line. Y'all minimize how important that is in our defense but the NT that isn't gap sound breaks down the entire defense.
    Our only free agent loss that scares me is Wallace.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chadman View Post
    Too many good players on the roster to say the Steelers won't still be aiming for the play-offs. Any team that has Ben, Troy, Timmons, Woodley, Pouncey, Clark, Brown, Miller, Keisel, Taylor & a host of young up & comers like Allen, Sanders, Gilbert, Adams & DeCastro, not to mention guys that are expected to step up in Heyward, Hood & Worilds.

It's not like the Steelers haven't been preparing for this day, and it's not as if the team is suddenly introducing 10 new starters. Nearly every player lost will have a guy that took snaps the last few seasons moving in to replace them.
    Ben: been injured in the second half of each of the past two seasons where he has tried to play but his play was crap due to the lingering effects of the injuries. No reliable replacement on the roster.

Troy: another highly paid star that has been injured causing him to miss games or play inneffectively. Completely on the downside due to age, unreliability, and cost No replacement on the roster.

Timmons: stud

Woodley: has been injured the past two seasons missing games and playing poorly when on the field. With Worilds now a starter, no replacement on the roster.

Pouncey: injured two seasons in a row but good when on the field. If Legursky leaves, no replacement on the roster.

Clark: stud, but old...no replacement on the roster.

Brown: solid but too many mental errors. Needs to refine his game and earn the contract.

Miller: total stud but his knee was shredded. I am not counting on Heath at all this year and he may never be the same. No replacement on the roster.

Keisel: good season but old.

Taylor: good but expensive and older. Creates no turnovers at all.

Allen: young and unproven.

Sanders: injured every season and hasn't shown an incredible amount. More like a 3rd or 4th WR.

Gilbert: guy just seems like a slob with little power, speed, or body control. Injured missing games last season.

Adams: I actually think he can be a decent RT but another OT that missed games due to injury.

DeCastro: projected to be a stud but missed most the season and looked average at best at RG. Yet another OL that was injured and missed games. All OL missed time last year but some seem hellbent against an OL in the first two rounds.

Heyward: hasn't shown a whole lot but playing time is limited. To spend a first round pick on a 3-4 DE was dumb once. Twice in three years is moronic.

Hood: see Heywards comment. An equal player would of been a cheap FA or much lower round pick.

Worilds pass rush abilities but has to prove he can handle the other responsibilities. We'll see as its his turn.
    Last edited by Mister Pittsburgh; 03-10-2013 at 10:18 AM.
    @_Hellgrammite

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I get Redman, Dwyer, and Sanders. I don't get McClendon. I think he is a future starter. He could also thrive in a 4-3.
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelblood View Post
    I get Redman, Dwyer, and Sanders. I don't get McClendon. I think he is a future starter. He could also thrive in a 4-3.
    I think this will say a lot about how McClendon is viewed around the league. By front loading the contract, it would be easy for another team to sign McClendon to a deal that the Steelers cannot or will not match. I suspect he will probably be back in Pittsburgh next year on the tender.

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    I think this will say a lot about how McClendon is viewed around the league. By front loading the contract, it would be easy for another team to sign McClendon to a deal that the Steelers cannot or will not match. I suspect he will probably be back in Pittsburgh next year on the tender.
    Totally agree. Also agree that he'll be back. Every single team in the NFL has probably 3-5 guys who their fan base thinks could/should be starters. The die-hards usually "overrate" these players but are shocked when they get no interest around the league.

Same goes for practice squad guys at the end of training camp. People always freak out about guys getting scooped up but most make it through to the PS.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh View Post
    Ben: been injured in the second half of each of the past two seasons where he has tried to play but his play was crap due to the lingering effects of the injuries. No reliable replacement on the roster.

Troy: another highly paid star that has been injured causing him to miss games or play inneffectively. Completely on the downside due to age, unreliability, and cost No replacement on the roster.

Timmons: stud

Woodley: has been injured the past two seasons missing games and playing poorly when on the field. With Worilds now a starter, no replacement on the roster.

Pouncey: injured two seasons in a row but good when on the field. If Legursky leaves, no replacement on the roster.

Clark: stud, but old...no replacement on the roster.

Brown: solid but too many mental errors. Needs to refine his game and earn the contract.

Miller: total stud but his knee was shredded. I am not counting on Heath at all this year and he may never be the same. No replacement on the roster.

Keisel: good season but old.

Taylor: good but expensive and older. Creates no turnovers at all.

Allen: young and unproven.

Sanders: injured every season and hasn't shown an incredible amount. More like a 3rd or 4th WR.

Gilbert: guy just seems like a slob with little power, speed, or body control. Injured missing games last season.

Adams: I actually think he can be a decent RT but another OT that missed games due to injury.

DeCastro: projected to be a stud but missed most the season and looked average at best at RG. Yet another OL that was injured and missed games. All OL missed time last year but some seem hellbent against an OL in the first two rounds.

Heyward: hasn't shown a whole lot but playing time is limited. To spend a first round pick on a 3-4 DE was dumb once. Twice in three years is moronic.

Hood: see Heywards comment. An equal player would of been a cheap FA or much lower round pick.

Worilds pass rush abilities but has to prove he can handle the other responsibilities. We'll see as its his turn.
    Pretty much agree with everything here. As Chadman pointed out, we still have good players but that doesn't mean much. What is more important is if we hav BETTER players then our competition. Some players need to step up because the Bengals have talent and obviously the Ravens do as well. Think about that for a second. We were THIRD in our division last year and this even more difficult... that's for sure.

We are losing talent fasting than what we are gaining it.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    A true reality check for some fans that think we are better than what we are.

It's a bit of a reality check for me in regards to McClendon. I thought McClendon was highly regarded by the coaching staffs. In fact, I remember comments being made about him being underestimated.

I'll be honest.... we lost Harrison and we will most likely lose Mendenhall and Wallace. Hampton, Starks, and Foster aren't expected to be back either. We could lose Lewis as well.

Could we replace some of these guys ..... SURE! I have hope. Replacing all of these guys by next year? I'm not to sure about that. In all honesty, Cleveland and us could be fighting for last in the division.

Sometimes you have to take one step back to take two steps forward. We have been trying to hold on with fading players too long. This period was eventually going to come. I'm all for them getting their cap situation right for the future and them laying the groundwork for the next 5-8 years versus trying for "one more" with the same players.

If it's me, even though he is one of my all time favorites I would say good bye to Troy also. I have zero faith he can play 16 games in a season. The Aaron Smith fiasco should be a strong lesson to all involved.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Sometimes you have to take one step back to take two steps forward. We have been trying to hold on with fading players too long. This period was eventually going to come. I'm all for them getting their cap situation right for the future and them laying the groundwork for the next 5-8 years versus trying for "one more" with the same players.

If it's me, even though he is one of my all time favorites I would say good bye to Troy also. I have zero faith he can play 16 games in a season. The Aaron Smith fiasco should be a strong lesson to all involved.
    Good post Ovideo