Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: There's Still A Leadership Void

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY View Post
    .................................................. ...Who?
    Porter, Lambert, Ray Lewis, Warren Sapp, Singletary, Lloyd, Richard Sherman, etc....

Someone with a bit of attitude... a bit of fire..... a bit of intensity. We have some good players but they're a bunch of sleepers. I think Heyward has some fire to him so there is some hope.

Drew Brees and especially Tom Brady have more fire and intensity than anyone on our defense.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    Porter, Lambert, Ray Lewis, Warren Sapp, Singletary, Lloyd, Richard Sherman, etc....

Someone with a bit of attitude... a bit of fire..... a bit of intensity. We have some good players but they're a bunch of sleepers. I think Heyward has some fire to him so there is some hope.

lol You gave me 6 out of 7 guys out of the league. Seriously...There wasn't one guy who would have made the other 10 into super heroes. Richard Sherman improves the secondary...But he isn't making the other 10 players suddenly younger, faster, more experienced, etc. You guys give WAY too much credit to a loud mouth leader. If the guys on that field aren't playing with fire or a bit of intensity...They wouldn't be on the field. The talent has to be there.

NFL players have to be self motivated if you want to be a winner. Coaches & players can motivate but it doesn't run hot & cold. If you are running cold...You will be on the bench...It is that simple. It's your JOB to show up. That's what you get paid for. That's the talk on each side of the ball...Do you job. The last run of the core didn't have loud mouth leaders. The all showed up...Played with that fire you mentioned...And did their jobs. They played for each other. That's what you want. Players playing for each other on their own. That result is at the Top of the mountain made up of allot of things on the way.

If you need "a guy" out there trying to motivate them...Trying to get them to play with some fire..You have problems. Those problems go from the players to coaches & could even be into the FO. Gameday is just the test...Some seem to forget that the week of practice leading up to it is where the Leaders make there mark. Preparation leads to execution on gameday. True Leaders make sure the players understand how to execute when they are on the field. The majority of those leaders aren't loud mouth up in your face players. They are all business & team mates look up to them. That's what we see is the Steelers mold.

Legend

User Info Menu

If there are leadership problems with this squad, I'd suggest we might need to look at the person who is PAID to lead them...when it comes to team leadership, the buck stops with Tomlin.
    Last edited by BradshawsHairdresser; 06-03-2014 at 01:12 PM.

Legend

User Info Menu

And personally, I think Porter and his loudmouth had an enormous impact on the Steelers Super Bowl XL run during the playoffs.
    nope.. his loudmouth had an impact on the TE in the SB but during the playoff run Porters mouth didn't do a damn thing.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    nope.. his loudmouth had an impact on the TE in the SB but during the playoff run Porters mouth didn't do a damn thing.
    Maybe not his mouth, but Porter was a leader that year. IIRC, he was the one who went out and bought all of the LeBeau Lions #44 jerseys and all of the Bettis Irish #6 jerseys, and he was the one who held the rest of the team back during SB introductions to let the Bus run out there by himself. That was a leader. Little things like that make an impact.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Vocal leadership is a funny thing. I think that in 2005, the players loved being led by Porter, and were willing to do whatever it took to back up his brash words. Within a year, his act was starting to wear thin, and he lost his discipline as a player. I remember several 15 yard flags that he received for nonsense that no "leader" should be guilty of.

The moral of the story, on the football field, you must be a model for the younger players in order to be a good leader. Porter was that in 2005, was no longer that by 2006.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY View Post
    lol You gave me 6 out of 7 guys out of the league. Seriously...There wasn't one guy who would have made the other 10 into super heroes. Richard Sherman improves the secondary...But he isn't making the other 10 players suddenly younger, faster, more experienced, etc. You guys give WAY too much credit to a loud mouth leader. If the guys on that field aren't playing with fire or a bit of intensity...They wouldn't be on the field. The talent has to be there.

NFL players have to be self motivated if you want to be a winner. Coaches & players can motivate but it doesn't run hot & cold. If you are running cold...You will be on the bench...It is that simple. It's your JOB to show up. That's what you get paid for. That's the talk on each side of the ball...Do you job. The last run of the core didn't have loud mouth leaders. The all showed up...Played with that fire you mentioned...And did their jobs. They played for each other. That's what you want. Players playing for each other on their own. That result is at the Top of the mountain made up of allot of things on the way.

If you need "a guy" out there trying to motivate them...Trying to get them to play with some fire..You have problems. Those problems go from the players to coaches & could even be into the FO. Gameday is just the test...Some seem to forget that the week of practice leading up to it is where the Leaders make there mark. Preparation leads to execution on gameday. True Leaders make sure the players understand how to execute when they are on the field. The majority of those leaders aren't loud mouth up in your face players. They are all business & team mates look up to them. That's what we see is the Steelers mold.

Are you kidding me? I was just throwing names out there. You know damn well the type of player I'm talking about. I'm sure your smart enough to go thru each teams current roster and pick out the type of player I'm talking about. If not, I have no time for you.

Intensity, fire and adrenaline can turns things up a notch on any player and sometimes certain players need that even during a game. Yes, you clearly need talent captain of the obvious but talent + intensity + fire + adrenaline makes a difference. 1 player can get the adrenaline flowing in other players as well.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    I guess you didn't watch the game in which Porter was all over Peyton like stink on $hit....I suggest you watch that game because apparently you didn't or can't remember

Legend

User Info Menu

I guess you didn't watch the game in which Porter was all over Peyton like stink on $hit....I suggest you watch that game because apparently you didn't or can't remember
    those 2 sacks,which were obvious protection breakdowns because he was untouched both times weren't the reason we won that game.

...and it wasn't his mouth that got those 2 sacks.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Are you kidding me? I was just throwing names out there. You know damn well the type of player I'm talking about. I'm sure your smart enough to go thru each teams current roster and pick out the type of player I'm talking about. If not, I have no time for you.

Intensity, fire and adrenaline can turns things up a notch on any player and sometimes certain players need that even during a game. Yes, you clearly need talent captain of the obvious but talent + intensity + fire + adrenaline makes a difference. 1 player can get the adrenaline flowing in other players as well.

You just went off the road right into the woods! You can't go through every roster & pick out that loud mouth badass you want. The Steelers have leaders here. They also haven't had that badass loud mouth you THINK they need in the last 2 SB appearances. BB is a leader...Plain & simple. The type of idiot you are looking for would be Phillip Rivers. What has that got him? That's the difference.

I played the game for a long time. You are looking for a punk on the field that does nothing but run his mouth. Sometimes you get that to go with a hall of famer...Ray Lewis. Sometimes you get the punk that runs his mouth & is average...Bart Scott. I'll take every talented player that flat out plays & does his job. Because you put talent at every position & they can execute...They will be winners. Those players become leaders because team mates respect what they do & they follow. They want to play for each other. They want to go into battle with their brothers. Who wants the little ass trash talker. You want a badass....Well badass doesn't equal football player & players don't follow someone just cause he acts like a badass. AB has grown into a leader & is one of the most humble players that takes the field. You don't have to be a D!ck to be a great football player & leader...You just have to be great!

You know...Stupid argument & we are wasting each others time. We will see how we do this year with what we got. We don't have the guy you like so if they miss the playoffs...Bump the tread!
    Last edited by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY; 06-03-2014 at 04:23 PM.