Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Shamarko Thomas is first Steelers draft pick to sign

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Vader View Post
    And what does that have to do with anything I said? I said that the STeelers selected Thomas's speed over P. Thomas's production. What part of that is wrong? Is S. Thomas faster? Did P. Thomas have more production?

How about Ed Reed? He had 17 picks in 2 years. You rather have S. Thomas? See you can play the "Player X did this in college" all day. The fact is that P. Thomas had better production. Doesn't mean that S. Thomas can't play or that P.Thomas is going to be a great player. It's just an observation.
    My point was that YOU SAID nobody but Troy can make an int.
    My reply was simply a reminder that Troy did not have ints in college either.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    My point was that YOU SAID nobody but Troy can make an int.
    My reply was simply a reminder that Troy did not have ints in college either.
    And that still doesn't change the fact that the Steelers selected speed over production. Almost every analysis of Thomas says he needs to work on his ball catching ability. I never saw anything like that from Troy's analysis when he was drafted. Troy was considered short (not as short as Thomas) and had health issues. If Thomas takes over for troy in a few years that means nobody can catch an int. in the entire secondary. That's my point. Everybody is talking about the need for more TOs. But with Thomas I don't see that happening. He isn't a ball hawk... which is something most steeler fans want.

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Vader View Post
    And that still doesn't change the fact that the Steelers selected speed over production. Almost every analysis of Thomas says he needs to work on his ball catching ability. I never saw anything like that from Troy's analysis when he was drafted. Troy was considered short (not as short as Thomas) and had health issues. If Thomas takes over for troy in a few years that means nobody can catch an int. in the entire secondary. That's my point. Everybody is talking about the need for more TOs. But with Thomas I don't see that happening. He isn't a ball hawk... which is something most steeler fans want.
    Cortez Allen had two interceptions in three starts in the final of the last season. The average would be ten in a full season. Not bad.

And someone has to take over Ike soon. Maybe they take a ball hawk. I think Thomas was a WONDERFULL pick in the fourth.
    Steeler Nation in Spain

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSpain View Post
    Cortez Allen had two interceptions in three starts in the final of the last season. The average would be ten in a full season. Not bad.

And someone has to take over Ike soon. Maybe they take a ball hawk. I think Thomas was a WONDERFULL pick in the fourth.
    I'm not sure that's enough statistical evidence of anything. 2 picks in 3 games could just be an anomaly. I never said that he wasn't a good pick. Just that he doesn't fit what most fans wanted. He likes to play close to the LOS and is a hitter like Bob Sanders. With the way the NFL is going hard hitting safeties are probably going to be a thing of the past. I know he has good speed so hopefully he can play tight coverage at times and make up some ground. I just don't expect a lot of int. from him.

Legend

User Info Menu

If I had to choose between a DB with good hands or good speed and coverage ability, i'm choosing the one with good coverage ability... Ike has bad hands, but, there aren't too many DBs I'd rather have over the last decade... funny how some equate INT's with "production"...

Legend

User Info Menu

And that still doesn't change the fact that the Steelers selected speed over production.
    And that was never a point of disagreement. Heck every post of mine makes that very point. Again my point:

You said Troy is the only one who gets ints. But even Troy did not get many ints in college.

Almost every analysis of Thomas says he needs to work on his ball catching ability. I never saw anything like that from Troy's analysis when he was drafted. Troy was considered short (not as short as Thomas) and had health issues. If Thomas takes over for troy in a few years that means nobody can catch an int. in the entire secondary. That's my point. Everybody is talking about the need for more TOs. But with Thomas I don't see that happening. He isn't a ball hawk... which is something most steeler fans want.
    Just because you never saw it does not mean it wasnt there:

"Ran an amazing 4.35-40 and vertical jumped 43" at his "Pro day" workout, but isn't considered very good in coverage. Is short by NFL standards..........."

Sounds almost EXACTLY like a Thomas profile. But it is the Hair and Shoulders dude.
    [URL="http://www.markberger.com/games/steelers_2003_predraft.htm"]
    http://www.markberger.com/games/steelers_2003_predraft.htm[/URL]

"Negatives: Short for the NFL and is not a real ballhawk."

[URL]http://sports.espn.go.com/nfldraft/tracker/player?id=6771[/URL]

Were it not for the links you would not know WHO I was talking about now would you?

Both are off the chart in speed leaping ability, like to play in the box are "thick" and short.

And yes, BOTH received criticism about coverage skills for lack of ints.

All I know is that coach played Thomas in man to man as a CORNER against Robert Woods of USC (he got a pick in the process). A coach would never do that with a safety if he cant cover.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-

Administrator

User Info Menu

And that was never a point of disagreement. Heck every post of mine makes that very point. Again my point:

You said Troy is the only one who gets ints. But even Troy did not get many ints in college.

"Ran an amazing 4.35-40 and vertical jumped 43" at his "Pro day" workout, but isn't considered very good in coverage. Is short by NFL standards..........."

Sounds almost EXACTLY like a Thomas profile. But it is the Hair and Shoulders dude.

Were it not for the links you would not know WHO I was talking about now would you?

Both are off the chart in speed leaping ability, like to play in the box are "thick" and short.

All I know is that coach played Thomas in man to man as a CORNER against Robert Woods of USC (he got a pick in the process). A coach would never do that with a safety if he cant cover.
    Don't get me wrong... I like Thomas. With that being said, I watched the replay of the USC game and I wasn't overly impressed. Granted, I didn't get the opportunity to see him on every, single play against Woods. Covering woods is impressive... no doubt. I just thought Thomas played very out of control when coming up to attack the ball carrier/receiver.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerOfDeVille View Post
    If I had to choose between a DB with good hands or good speed and coverage ability, i'm choosing the one with good coverage ability... Ike has bad hands, but, there aren't too many DBs I'd rather have over the last decade... funny how some equate INT's with "production"...
    Is there one of those facebook "like" icons that I can click for this post?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    Don't get me wrong... I like Thomas. With that being said, I watched the replay of the USC game and I wasn't overly impressed. Granted, I didn't get the opportunity to see him on every, single play against Woods. Covering woods is impressive... no doubt. I just thought Thomas played very out of control when coming up to attack the ball carrier/receiver.
    Sounds like a guy we drafted in 2003

TCFCLTC-

Backup

User Info Menu

Those quotes say that he isn't good in coverage. It doesn't mean that he can't catch an int. Those are called ball skills. Ike can't catch a cold but he is in position to make an int all the time. Coverage skills means that a player can stay with the WR not catch an int.

Also just because one player is similar to another player doesn't mean they'll have the same success. I can find tons of short safeties that didn't make it. Troy was thought to be too short but that doesn't mean that Thomas is going to be just because someone else succeeded that was short. And the thing is Thomas is shorter than Troy who the experts thought was too short.

The int. against USC he was playing deep not press coverage. The QB made a bad throw behind the WR. If he waits just a second longer and leads the WR Thomas is toast. Also in that game he got juked out of his shorts by Woods the USC running back. He is a hitter and he came up to make a hit and Woods turned his knees to jello. Over 50+ yard run because the safety missed an easy tackle.

Again, I hope he does well but I just don't see an interception machine in the making.