Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Steelers just got better and most of their fans dont even realize it!!

Starter

User Info Menu

There are examples every year of players being broke and filing for bankruptcy. Or being in trouble with the IRS, etc.

What you never hear about is a player who regrets his championship and wishes he would've taken big money.

I don't despise or hate Wallace for his decision. Everyone wants to be paid what they perceive there value is. But the Steelers are pretty good about matching a player with the money he is worth. They don't SCREW people over. They are fair. I always felt that the offer they made to Wallace was fair. He clearly didn't think so. And just because he got more money doesn't mean the organization was wrong. It just means that another team had more money to give him. I don't think he is worth that kind of money. (But then again, I think all sports salaries are stupidly ridiculous for the most part.)
    For example, the case of Harrison. Sure the team wanted him back. That is a no brainer. But with his age and production, the Steelers looked for an understanding on his part. Harrison didn't see it that way. Now he moves to an unknown commodity, like Wallace, and may never sniff the playoffs again. All because of some money that, in the grand scheme of things, wouldn't have made that big of a difference anyways. Not when compared to more opportunities to win championships.

I personally want players on this team that are hungry for championships. This is a team sport. Money comes in other forms besides contracts.

I won't miss Wallace. I don't care much for the ego of man. It's ugly and gets in the way of individuals fulfilling there true potential IMO.

Good for him. He got his money. He got what he wanted. And in that regard I have no reason to wish anything else for him.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    I think what happens out of the draft will determine if that is true. I'm not sure going forward we will miss a one-dimesional WR and a fading pass rusher. Those can be replaced in the draft by one of a combination of players for those positions.

You don't need one player to get 64 catches and 8 TDs. A combination of players can improve on that number. Additionally, how hard will it be to improve on 6 sacks from a player in your primary pass rushing position. That is what Wallace and Harrison were for this team last year.
    Harrison was also a force against the run. He did more than rush the passer. The Steelers can add another LBer and were likely to begin grooming a successor anyway. But the fact that the entire coaching staff wanted Harrison back shows that they do not have confidence in Worilds. We know how you feel about Lebeau, but Tomlin and Butler also wanted him back.

And with Wallace, it is not just his production. There is also the attention that he drew as a deep threat. There is nobody on the offense now that scares you.

The Steelers can add a WR in the draft, but that is a pick that must be used at WR and that cannot be used to address one of the other needs on the team.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

The championships thing is overrated in popular culture. It's "noble" to say you are in it for the championships, but when someone offers you the moon, you take it. When Green Bay offered Reggie White that first MONSTER deal in free agency way back when, Green Bay was a doormat with a new coach at the time (Holmgren), a new QB (Favre), and about 20 years of futility behind them--much like these Dolphins. You can't fault a guy for going for the ASTRONOMICAL dollars over "a chance to win a championship". If anyone offers me or anybody here $50 million, and another one offers you $30 million... you won't have to think hard on which offer you'd take. THAT'S $20 MILLION you're willfully giving up! No one can place blame on that.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    I think what happens out of the draft will determine if that is true. I'm not sure going forward we will miss a one-dimesional WR and a fading pass rusher. Those can be replaced in the draft by one of a combination of players for those positions.

You don't need one player to get 64 catches and 8 TDs. A combination of players can improve on that number. Additionally, how hard will it be to improve on 6 sacks from a player in your primary pass rushing position. That is what Wallace and Harrison were for this team last year.
    Whatever viewpoint fans have regarding Wallace I would think most agree whatever we lose in production from him has to be made up somewhere or the offense might be worse off.
    Making up his production through a combination of players seems logical but at the same time we're going to need to make up for the loss of Heath Miller for a portion of the new season.
    Right off the bat you have two of your best TD makers not playing when the season starts, I don't know if we can replace that production as it is unless we get another weapon who can make an impact right away. This is why I have a preference for Tyler Eifert in the draft.
    At the time being I don't believe David Johnson, Paulson and our receivers can make up for that unless we add another weapon AND get a better run game as well.

We not only have to make up for losing Wallace and Miller early in the season the offense has to improve over last season or we wil be back to square one. Having a healthy O-line will go a long way in us getting better and probably the most important part in doing so, but you still need playmakers to go with that.

I know many of you would like our defense to be a priority early in the draft and I don't blame you for your opinion, I just have my own and feel our offense was the main reason we didn't have success last season and needs the most help so we'll see what happens from now till camp.
    The best senario would be to get players who can give us help now in some form and be future replacements for guys like Troy, Clark, and Taylor.

Legend

User Info Menu

Wallace got paid.... and now lives in a warm climate and a tax friendly state.

I dont think Miami is any closer to a championship and we will always be in contention as long as we have Ben and a solid D. Wallace has been to a SB... and maybe he will take a paycut to get one later in his career but if not... who cares.

He set his family up for life and I'm not mad at him for that... its a business and if he gets hurt next year he is in a better position in Miami than if he stayed here.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NJ-STEELER View Post
    7-9 dolphins was exactly 1 game worse then the 8-8 steelers. with a better draft pick and a hell of a lot more cap space to improve
    Ben is an elite QB, Ryan Tannehill isn't and never will be. I put my money on the Steelers being better than the Dolphins over the course of Mike Wallace's 5 year contract.

Saying the Dolphins were 7-9 and the Steelers were 8-8 while ignoring the fact that the Steelers elite QB got injured after they were 6-3 is lame in my opinion.
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub View Post
    Ben is an elite QB, Ryan Tannehill isn't and never will be. I put my money on the Steelers being better than the Dolphins over the course of Mike Wallace's 5 year contract.

Saying the Dolphins were 7-9 and the Steelers were 8-8 while ignoring the fact that the Steelers elite QB got injured after they were 6-3 is lame in my opinion.

Ignoring that if you are part of the Wallace fan club allows you rationalize his substandard performance and effort last season (34th in the NFL in receiving yards).
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

where did ABs numbers rank?

my guess it was substandard to the size of his paycheck.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Spaghetti View Post
    where did ABs numbers rank?

my guess it was substandard to the size of his paycheck.
    Not considering the games he missed due to injury. Besides he'll have chance to do better as a Steeler next season where Wallace chose not to. I know who I'm pulling for, what about you?
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

oh I will be pulling for him, but I think he is going to struggle without mike.

hopefully he won't do any more backflips into the endzone and try to be a leader for the WR group.

and his numbers were nowhere his paycheck. He must do better.