Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Based on Personnel, we should play a 4-3

Rookie

User Info Menu

Based on Personnel, we should play a 4-3

The 3-4 scheme might be good for blitzing LB's off the corner, if you can find guys that can get there. But a 4-3 will help stop the run, collapse the pocket, hurry the qb, and still allow for a LB to blitz off the edge.

We have talented DL's, but they would be more effective in a 4-3. We have a couple talented LB's, but not so much that they can play the 4-3 scheme.

I think we would do well with Ziggy, McClendon, Fangupo, and Heyward as front four, with Jones, Worilds, and Timmons at LB.
    I'd blitz Worilds and Jones off the edges, and use Timmons to spy the other teams RB.
    If we can get a top CB in the draft, and the DB's continue to improve, we would be contenders.

A 3-4 works if you have a great edge rushing LB, and 3 goons who can collapse the pocket. Steelers don't have that personnel.
    Last edited by hardesthittinglbever; 02-27-2014 at 07:11 PM.

Legend

User Info Menu

Who told Ovi it was ok to have 2 accounts here?
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Kool-Aid McKinstry CB
    2. Sedrick Van Pran-Grainger OC
    3. Devontez Walker WR
    3. Maason Smith DT
    4. Matt Goncalves OT
    6. Trevin Wallace ILB
    7. AJ Barner TE

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

As far as I know, Dick Leboo is still our DC and he won't ever change and go to a 4-3. As long as he is our DC we are stuck with a 3-4, regardless of whether our personnel fits it or not. And even though the entire league has figured out DL "zone blitz" scheme, the Steelers seem unaware of that fact.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chadman View Post
    My first thought too

Legend

User Info Menu

A 4-3 relies on pressure from the front four, and a front four of Hood, McLendon, Fangupo, and Heyward would not get that pressure. Heyward is the only one capable of that among your suggested starters. You are already talking about blitzing Worilds and Jones from their LB spots, and the whole point of running a 4-3 is that you are counting on getting pressure from the front four without needing to resort to the blitz. In a 4-3, Worilds wouldn't be a LB anyway...he'd be a DE. You could play Timmons and Jones at Sam and Will, but we have no legit Mike backer either.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    My first thought too
    I gotta admit I agree with flippy

Molon labe

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

?We're not going to apologize for winning.?
    Mike Tomlin

American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    A 4-3 relies on pressure from the front four, and a front four of Hood, McLendon, Fangupo, and Heyward would not get that pressure. Heyward is the only one capable of that among your suggested starters. You are already talking about blitzing Worilds and Jones from their LB spots, and the whole point of running a 4-3 is that you are counting on getting pressure from the front four without needing to resort to the blitz. In a 4-3, Worilds wouldn't be a LB anyway...he'd be a DE. You could play Timmons and Jones at Sam and Will, but we have no legit Mike backer either.
    Your front four would have to be Fangupo (whom we are not certain can play) and McClendon at DT with Woodley and Heyward at DE...Hood is not under contract...

You would have to put Jones and Timmons at LB...I do think that Timmons could be a legit MLB...you would then have to play Vince Williams at the other OLB spot...

I suppose that could work, but would it be better than the 3-4 ZB? I don't think so...

Legend

User Info Menu

The Steelers are talent deficient right now and until some of the younger guys really begin to play higher level football the scheme is irrelevant. Jarvis Jones was supposed to be plug and play in a 34 at OLB, not so much, Woodley had three good years, signs a big contract and then falls off the face of the earth, Heyward has taken 2-3 years to begin to look like a really good player, Hood hasn't materialized into what they hoped when he was drafted, Clark and Ike saw a precipitous drop in their play during the last 8 games of the season, Allen improved, the rest didn't get a whole lot of playing time.

The simple matter of fact, IMO, is that the Steelers need players to play better, maybe they're not capable, then its back to the drawing board, the Steelers have invested in defensive players, but the investments aren't paying off...yet.

No need to change the scheme, half the league plays a 34 and the other half plays a 43, both schemes have been figured out, the Steelers need better production and/or players.

Pappy

1.20 - JC Latham, OT, Alabama
    2.51 - Xavier leggette, WR, South Carolina
    3.84 - Sedrick Van-Pran Granger, OC, Georgia
    3.98 - Andru Phillips, CB, Kentucky
    4.119 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fordfixer View Post
    I gotta admit I agree with flippy
    you must be worried about that...
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

My IT guy...
    Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chadman View Post
    I would have believed it was Ovi if the post included it was time to fire LeBeau.