Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Steelers' Position Preview: Tight end

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    Matt Spaeth will be huge in all things zone blocking....he and adams both at around 6-8 is what you look for in a OT/TE combo for a ZBS

My god he has terrible hands though
    You do recall that neither player starts so their "hugeness" will be limited at best
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Mike Adams will be starting at some point.

And Spaeth is the #2 TE, and a primary blocker.....not sure what starting has to do with it

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Iron City Inc. View Post
    Make McCullers the goal line fullback.
    Give Troy the ball and have him leap over the goal line Marcus Allen style.

He's already shown multiple times that he is good at that from the defensive side.

Last edited by RuthlessBurgher; 07-08-2014 at 02:38 PM.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Getting To Know: Rob Blanchflower

Position: Tight End

Height: 6-4

Weight: 256

College: Massachusetts

Years Pro: Rookie

How Acquired: Seventh-round draft pick in 2014.

Football Mentor/Inspiration: Growing up I always looked at Mark Bavaro. He is a Massachusetts guy, a tough blue collar type of player. Coming in here there is no one better to look after you than Heath Miller. Working in the same room, same building as him is great.

Proudest Football Moment/Memory: I think senior day, being able to walk out onto the field with my grandparents, mom and dad and sisters. That was a pretty cool experience. I also set the all time receiving record for tight ends at UMass that day and it was cool to share that with them.

Favorite Teammate: That is a tough one. I would have to say my buddy Andrew Dugan from high school. He is in school right now to be an Army Ranger and we still communicate. He has been pushing through that for almost a year now. He is the biggest Pittsburgh Steelers fan I know. He gave up his five minutes he gets on the phone to talk to me on Draft Day instead of his wife. He is one of my best friends, captain senior year and a tough guy. We push each other through hard times.

Initial NFL Attraction: When I was 12 years old I started playing Pop Warner because I wanted to go to the NFL. That is the goal I set for myself at a young age and luckily it all worked out. It’s the highest level of competition. Proving to myself and everyone else I had the ability to compete at the highest level.

Football Mindset: Aggressive, attacking wherever I can, point of attack on run game, catching the ball and attacking someone with my shoulder pads. That aggressive approach is why I think I am here.

Impression of Pittsburgh: I love it. It reminds me of home. Central Massachusetts is similar in that there is industry, blue collar towns. When I first came here I saw the city surround me. I like it. It’s a great town, great fan base and more Super Bowl trophies than any city. It’s an honor to be here and I am really enjoying it.

Perception of Steelers: I think of tough, downhill running game in the snow in the playoffs on the way to the Super Bowl. Growing up in New England every year you dread playing the Steelers because they are the toughest team to go against. There has always been nothing but respect there. Now that I am part of the organization it’s even better because I get to see it, live it and fully understand how hard it is to succeed here and what it takes.

Goals/Aspirations for 2014: I want to make the team and have an opportunity to play on Sundays.

Career Goals: I want to win a Super Bowl. I never had an opportunity to win any type of championship in college. There is a chip on my shoulder because of that. There is no better organization to be a part of to get a Lombardi Trophy because they have the most already and are not stopping now.

[URL]http://www.steelers.com/news/article...3-45420307ef61[/URL]

Legend

User Info Menu

James C Wexell @jimwexell :

Yet I'm still unclear if Waters is ahead of Rob Blanchflower for the TE spot on practice squad. Does make me want to see Waters again though

So frustrated at one point, Shazier wanted to fight Waters. In the fourth rep, the undrafted rookie threw Shazier to the ground.

If Shazier made "huge and positive impression" as one headline writer put it, what should be said about Eric Waters, who beat Shazier twice?

Undrafted rookie tight end Eric Waters gets my first star in backs-on-backers drill. Mike Sam's college roommate at Mizzou. #Steelers

[URL]https://twitter.com/jimwexell[/URL]

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    James C Wexell @jimwexell :

Yet I'm still unclear if Waters is ahead of Rob Blanchflower for the TE spot on practice squad. Does make me want to see Waters again though

So frustrated at one point, Shazier wanted to fight Waters. In the fourth rep, the undrafted rookie threw Shazier to the ground.

If Shazier made "huge and positive impression" as one headline writer put it, what should be said about Eric Waters, who beat Shazier twice?

Undrafted rookie tight end Eric Waters gets my first star in backs-on-backers drill. Mike Sam's college roommate at Mizzou. #Steelers

[URL]https://twitter.com/jimwexell[/URL]

Michael Sams roommate ?...Ohoo Oh! I can almost hear the theme from " Brokeback Mountain " playing in the background!!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by thetruthteller View Post
    Michael Sams roommate ?...Ohoo Oh! I can almost hear the theme from " Brokeback Mountain " playing in the background!!
    Of course he's going to room with a tight end! Hee-yo! I'll be here all week. Try the veal. Don't forget to tip your waitress.

Seriously, though, regarding Brokeback Mountain, I'll be happy if we find a young TE who is a mountain of a man who can break some backs.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Waters is a long shot to make the team. 8 catches for 72 yards his senior season. He better be a beast of a blocker to get a shot. There are 6 TEs on the roster. Figure they keep 3 and have W. Johnson as a FB who could play TE in a pinch. 2 of the 3 spots are locked up barring injury. Then it's down to Paulson, Palmer (bounced around for 5 years), Blanchflower and Waters. Maybe it comes down to which guy can play STs as well.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    Waters is a long shot to make the team. 8 catches for 72 yards his senior season. He better be a beast of a blocker to get a shot. There are 6 TEs on the roster. Figure they keep 3 and have W. Johnson as a FB who could play TE in a pinch. 2 of the 3 spots are locked up barring injury. Then it's down to Paulson, Palmer (bounced around for 5 years), Blanchflower and Waters. Maybe it comes down to which guy can play STs as well.
    Paulson should have taken the same train out of town as D. Johnson. IMO he actually regressed last year.

I'd be fine with Wil Johnson as FB/#3 TE and keep an extra player somewhere else. Let Walters and Branchflower battle for the P.S.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Will Johnson gets my vote for #3 TE, and that is only because spaeth is such a good zone blocker. Johnson shames him in the reciever department