Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Can we stop with the we lose because "Art II is forcing us to run the ball"

Legend

User Info Menu

Can we stop with the we lose because "Art II is forcing us to run the ball"

Is ANYBODY here paying attention to what is REALLY HAPPENING?

We are not losing games because we run too much.
    We are 31st IN RUSH ATTEMPTS.

Are you people watching VIKING games and getting confused?

Ben threw PLENTY on Monday.
    Ben threw DEEP plenty on Monday.
    Ben EXTENDED PLAYS like he wants plenty on Monday.

Why did we lose then?

The receivers dropped PLENTY of passes on Monday.
    Ben misses PLENTY of receivers on Monday.
    Ben got sacked extending plays like he wants to on Monday
    The best completion of the day, WAS FUMBLED

We opened the game with three straight runs (admittedly stupid) but that is ALL anyone remembers.

Outside on that ONE DRIVE this has been a decidedly pass-centric team over the coarse of TWO games.
    And Monday's game cant be called "dink and dunk" either. Watch a replay. You will find 9 or 10 twenty yard or longer (in the air) pass attempts that failed.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    Is ANYBODY here paying attention to what is REALLY HAPPENING?

We are not losing games because we run too much.
    We are 31st IN RUSH ATTEMPTS.

Are you people watching VIKING games and getting confused?

Ben threw PLENTY on Monday.
    Ben threw DEEP plenty on Monday.
    Ben EXTENDED PLAYS like he wants plenty on Monday.

Why did we lose then?

The receivers dropped PLENTY of passes on Monday.
    Ben misses PLENTY of receivers on Monday.
    Ben got sacked extending plays like he wants to on Monday
    The best completion of the day, WAS FUMBLED

We opened the game with three straight runs (admittedly stupid) but that is ALL anyone remembers.

Outside on that ONE DRIVE this has been a decidedly pass-centric team over the coarse of TWO games.
    And Monday's game cant be called "dink and dunk" either. Watch a replay. You will find 9 or 10 twenty yard or longer (in the air) pass attempts that failed.
    You do realize that if you don't practice enough in the passing(drop passes, missing receivers) and the correct plays you will not succeed. No matter what talent you have.
    There is such thing as bad pass plays versus good pass plays...same with the running plays...

I've always said, you have to prove the pass in order to run not the other way around......

Legend

User Info Menu

I hate raw stats... especially when the person posting them is being deceptive, as you are (I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt, assuming you know better).

Even as a loser of 2 games (i.e., you pass a LOT MORE), Ben is 22nd in pass attempts... I could argue all of your "plenty" stats are faulty based on raw numbers alone. if he's 22nd with INFLATED pass numbers due to hurry up at the end of games, then, jeez...

What neither of those rankings independently explains, but, together clearly show is this: They simply aren't moving the ball. the team is THIRTIETH in time of possesion. They don't have many plays period, rushing or passing. I read somewhere that Alex Smith has more rushing yards than the Steelers entire team. I also happen to know that Ben is 27th in passing yards.

Blame it on drops if you wanna. On the season, the team has four dropped passes... FOUR. Good for an "average" rating in the NFL (14th). The 2-0 Patriots have 8... TWICE as many. The 2-0 Broncos have 7. So, sure, a couple of drops, may well have stopped drives (sounds like possibly 2 per game). But, what about the other drives in each game they didn't move the ball on.

Blame it on miscues: bad passes & drops, if you want. HOWEVER, Ben has a higher completion percentage than Tom Brady (whose team as i've already pointed out happens to be 2-0).

The fact is, the offense is simply ineffective. PERIOD.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sword View Post
    You do realize that if you don't practice enough in the passing(drop passes, missing receivers) and the correct plays you will not succeed. No matter what talent you have.
    There is such thing as bad pass plays versus good pass plays...same with the running plays...

I've always said, you have to prove the pass in order to run not the other way around......
    What? Sword are you kidding?
    Seriously dude you are just throwing stuff out there.
    Is Ben practicing handing off more than he is throwing the ball?
    Do the receivers not practice catching the ball because their time is spent learning to run block? Really?
    And where do you get this idea that we dont practice pass plays?

Flippy WENT TO the scrimmages and raved about the receivers more than anybody.

Let me add, THIS WAS A PASS CENTRIC TEAM LAST YEAR too.

We RAN LESS than ANY time during Ben's career as a Steeler.

Do the Rooneys want a better run game? Of course, it is HORRIBLE.
    But they arent controlling playcalling, which is clear because WE DONT RUN THAT MUCH.

We lost two games.
    The common advantage of our foes is that they BOTH RAN better than us.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    What? Sword are you kidding?
    Seriously dude you are just throwing stuff out there.
    Is Ben practicing handing off more than he is throwing the ball?
    Do the receivers not practice catching the ball because their time is spent learning to run block? Really?
    And where do you get this idea that we dont practice pass plays?

Flippy WENT TO the scrimmages and raved about the receivers more than anybody.

Let me add, THIS WAS A PASS CENTRIC TEAM LAST YEAR too.

We RAN LESS than ANY time during Ben's career as a Steeler.

Do the Rooneys want a better run game? Of course, it is HORRIBLE.
    But they arent controlling playcalling, which is clear because WE DONT RUN THAT MUCH.

We lost two games.
    The common advantage of our foes is that they BOTH RAN better than us.
    And your not not throwing things out there? please...
    Seeing receivers catch a ball at a scrimmage game means nothing..What matters is in the win and lost column. And we are not winning.
    When receivers and QB are not connecting in a real game that is at least from a lack of practice and \or the type of pass play called...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Mike Tomlin, aheem, I mean Isaac Redman fumbled the ball in a key situation and we lost the game. Mike Tomlin, or whatever that receivers name is, fumbled the ball after a big gain and we lost the game. The offense has problems, but we're giving it away and not taking it back.

Giveaway/Takeaway is a killer
    [URL=http://s227.photobucket.com/user/AAFiorini/media/jigsignewplate_zpsgmcgfc1q.jpg.html]<a href=http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd207/AAFiorini/jigsignewplate_zpsgmcgfc1q.jpg target=_blank>http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/d...psgmcgfc1q.jpg</a>[/URL]

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerOfDeVille View Post
    I hate raw stats... especially when the person posting them is being deceptive, as you are (I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt, assuming you know better).

Even as a loser of 2 games (i.e., you pass a LOT MORE), Ben is 22nd in pass attempts... I could argue all of your "plenty" stats are faulty based on raw numbers alone. if he's 22nd with INFLATED pass numbers due to hurry up at the end of games, then, jeez...

What neither of those rankings independently explains, but, together clearly show is this: They simply aren't moving the ball. the team is THIRTIETH in time of possesion. They don't have many plays period, rushing or passing. I read somewhere that Alex Smith has more rushing yards than the Steelers entire team. I also happen to know that Ben is 27th in passing yards.

Blame it on drops if you wanna. On the season, the team has four dropped passes... FOUR. Good for an "average" rating in the NFL (14th). The 2-0 Patriots have 8... TWICE as many. The 2-0 Broncos have 7. So, sure, a couple of drops, may well have stopped drives (sounds like possibly 2 per game). But, what about the other drives in each game they didn't move the ball on.

Blame it on miscues: bad passes & drops, if you want. HOWEVER, Ben has a higher completion percentage than Tom Brady (whose team as i've already pointed out happens to be 2-0).

The fact is, the offense is simply ineffective. PERIOD.
    Deville you miss my point.
    If we had a lead would we be 31st in rushing attempts? No.
    "The offense is ineffective period" is the truth.

But my point is that saying we are losing because "we run too much because of Rooney" is ridiculous. You CANNOT be 31st in rushing and be "running too much".

My point is that people are suggesting that "if we let Ben throw we will magically be successful".

Look EXCLUSIVELY at the first half taking out the hurry up element. We MISSED PLENTY of pass opportunities.
    And it was not the run, run, pass pattern people whine about. Look at it. After drive one, run, run, run we passed plenty.

I do not think we had A SINGLE run, run, pass, punt in the whole game.

My point is not to just rip on Ben. My point is that whether running, passing or catching, EXECUTION was far and away the biggest issue.

The problem is NOT that Ben was not given opportunities.

I think WE ARE IN FACT SEEING Ben's input IMPLEMENTED, as WE ARE NOT SEEING the dink and dunk feast of last year.

The players just need to play better, thus the meeting.

TCFCLTC-

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

one more thing to add..Rooney said it himself....
    [url]http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/rooney-wants-steelers-to-run-the-ball-more-228812/[/url]

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sword View Post
    And your not not throwing things out there? please...
    Seeing receivers catch a ball at a scrimmage game means nothing..What matters is in the win and lost column. And we are not winning.
    When receivers and QB are not connecting in a real game that is at least from a lack of practice and \or the type of pass play called...
    I am not "throwing stuff out there" I am providing factual information. Plenty of it. You can look it up.
    YOU BROUGHT UP PRACTICE, without ANY verification of your assertion. I dont know what happens in practice WHICH I WHY I GAVE Flippys eye witness account which is at odds with you unverified assumption.

You are right what matters is wins and loses.

My point which you cannot nor have even tried to contradict is that your assertion that we are losing because the Rooneys are forcing us to run DOES NOT match the facts of what is actually happening.

TCFCLTC-

Legend

User Info Menu

running on the first 3 plays is running too much...