Thread: 3 NFL teams receive ticket extensions...

Legend

User Info Menu

3 NFL teams receive ticket extensions...

I remember fans complaining about the amount of empty seats available at Steeler games. This week the Bungles, Packers and Colts have yet to sell out...

I think the NFL may have peaked.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    I remember fans complaining about the amount of empty seats available at Steeler games. This week the Bungles, Packers and Colts have yet to sell out...

I think the NFL may have peaked.
    I don't know if the NFL has peaked, but there is this and this is the low end of the cost scale plus the annoyances.

* Nose bleed seat ticket approximately $75
    * Hot Dog $4
    * Drink (not beer) $4
    * Parking $25

Inconveniences
    * Traffic
    * Rude fans
    * Weather
    * Bathrooms
    * Strip search to get in

So, for one person to buy a cheap ticket and eat only once during the game it will cost that person about $108, plus the inconveniences mentioned. If you take a family of 4 you're looking at $432. You can buy a kick @ss HDTV for about $2000 and watch every game with good food, friends, running water and drinks. The cost and inconvenience and the advent of HDTV are driving people away from the stadium.

Decent seats will cost you $200, so a single is looking at $233 and a family about $1100 for decent seats and one meal (sort of).

This also doesn't take into account sitting there in potentially bad weather watching the players stand around during commercials, timeouts, play reviews and challenges.

On the plus side, there's really nothing like being live at a game and hearing the game, feeling the energy in the stadium when your team is playing well and seeing the players up close.

I just think that fans are saying this isn't what it used to be and watching on a big screen TV is a better experience for the most part.

Pappy

Trade 20 & 119 to Tampa for 26/57

1.20 - Troy Fautanu, T, Washington
    2.51 - Zach Frazier, C, West Virginia
    3.84 - Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan
    3.98 - T'Vondre Sweat, DT, Texas
    7.178 - Joe Milton III, QB, Tennessee
    7.195 - Omar Speights, LB, LSU

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Steelers never had any trouble selling their playoff tix. Just this year when they weren't playing so well.

Pap- you can revise those prices a bit. Parking is like $35-$50 now, and you can get a beer and a dog for $13. lol
    Playoff tickets may be more than $75. Face value on nose bleeds might be pushing $90...
    6- Time Super Bowl Champions......
    IX X XIII XIV XL XLIII

2012 MNF Executive Champion

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pfelix73 View Post
    Steelers never had any trouble selling their playoff tix. Just this year when they weren't playing so well.

Pap- you can revise those prices a bit. Parking is like $35-$50 now, and you can get a beer and a dog for $13. lol
    Playoff tickets may be more than $75. Face value on nose bleeds might be pushing $90...
    I assumed as much I was using the low end purposely to show the cost of attending a game, most people will eat more than once and in all likelihood stop in a restaurant after the game (or, have breakfast prior) as well, which you have to count as part of the day's cost. Hidden costs, such as gas, shopping afterward at Station Square (should you park there and pay for the ferry ride), it's an expensive day for one person, let alone an entire family.

Pappy

Trade 20 & 119 to Tampa for 26/57

1.20 - Troy Fautanu, T, Washington
    2.51 - Zach Frazier, C, West Virginia
    3.84 - Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan
    3.98 - T'Vondre Sweat, DT, Texas
    7.178 - Joe Milton III, QB, Tennessee
    7.195 - Omar Speights, LB, LSU

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Legend

User Info Menu

The league is pricing many fans out of games. As long as the owners continue to pay players/mercenaries outrageous salaries in bidding wars the cost of the game will continue to rise. IMO, the biggest shame the owners implemented were the PSLs to pay for outrageously priced stadiums.

At some point it might boil down to enjoyment/entertainment value vs the risk of losing what some fans consider a lot of money. Or fans don't have the money to spend on games like the used to. If a fan spends X amount of dollars to attend a game and the team gets blow out it's difficult to deal with the financial repercussions for some fans. If that fan's team wins the fan might feel better but it's still a lot of coin to spend. At the end of the day the only people that generally win in sports are the owners and the players. Personally, I'd rather use my money for a nice vacation then to spend money to attend live games. Football translates better on television for myself. What's better then the comfort of home, no traffic, don't have to wait in long lines to use rest rooms, and where the food and beverages are less expensive?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I don't understand why people go to games anymore? As noted above, the inconveniences FAAAR outweigh the benefits. And while that may be considered my opinion, people overwhelmingly share it. Yet they've religiously gone anyway! It really isn't even close anymore IMO (the home vs. game experience).

The other thing is that I think it is a sign of another recession coming. I think people are more practical after that last one, and coupled with the above mentioned inconvenience, it isn't worth it to people.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

It's becoming a corporate thing.. they say a lot of those extra seats in GB were just snagged by corporations. I have a few friends in Pittsburgh as well as KC, DC and Miami who get to go sit in corporate seats all the time.

Pappy- fyi- parking at Station Square in the deck is still $10 bucks BUT the boat ride round trip is $10 per person. lol. So, a family of 5 would mean $60! either way.... it is expensive. I used to go to 5 games a year.... now, not so much.. Once plus any playoffs is enough..

I guess that WHEN I get season tix, I'll be selling a lot of them.
    6- Time Super Bowl Champions......
    IX X XIII XIV XL XLIII

2012 MNF Executive Champion

Legend

User Info Menu

I remember people complaining about our attendance while pointing to Cincy's attendance. I just heard a radio commercial BEGGING for people to come to the stadium. It wasn't even a hype "we are going to the SB" type commercial with a tiger growling... it was more like "hello ladies and gentleman and a happy who dey to you..."

corporations are definitely buying them and giving them away for promo or donating them to needy kids. Nice gesture but pretty much shows the NFL is too damn expensive.

Legend

User Info Menu

With mediocre QB's like Cutler getting ridiculous contracts, prices keep skyrocketing.

Rookie

User Info Menu

And the product is getting worse. More offense does not make a game entertaining unless you don't really care who wins. Just look at the 2008 AFCC Game vs Baltimore. Very few points and it all turned on two big defensive plays. Today Troys Pick 6 would be overturned on some ticky tacky call and Clark would be flagged for his hit on McGahee. The game today sucks and it only took a few years to get here.
    "....great films, with plots! Where you cared about whose ass it was, and why it was farting!"

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/235511.jpg