Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Biggest Steelers Loss May Be Off The Field

Legend

User Info Menu

Biggest Steelers Loss May Be Off The Field

PITTSBURGH (93.7 The Fan) – In a Steelers season featuring far more losses than expected, The Fan’s Andrew Fillipponi believes that the biggest one may have happened off the field almost four years ago.

Doug Whaley spent 12 years with the Steelers organization as General Manager Kevin Colbert’s right-hand man.

Andrew calls Whaley “a guy who has been a Pittsburgher through and through.”

An Upper Saint Clair native who played at Pitt, Whaley is now the general manager in Buffalo and the Steelers will get a chance to view what he has been up to this week when the Bills roll into town.

Andrew makes a case for the timing of Whaley’s departure coinciding with the start of a decline in Steelers player evaluation competency.

The NFL is a copycat league and when you are successful like the Steelers have been for so long, other teams will try to mimic that success by hiring away the guys who know how to do things successfully.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    There's an audio file on the website that covers everything else not in this article above

[url]http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2013/11/08/andrew-says-biggest-steelers-loss-may-be-off-the-field/[/url]
    2019 Mock

1. ILB
    2. CB
    3. ILB
    4. S
    5. CB
    6. ILB
    7. S

Legend

User Info Menu

This sounds like it could very well have some truth to it???

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Well, I'm not at all impressed with what Buffalo has been up to. I will predict that in about 3 to 4 years they will look back and conclude that they wasted a #1 draft pick on that QB they drafted. He'll be avg. at best. Their Defense hasn't lived up to their billing, and they just aren't all that good.....
    6- Time Super Bowl Champions......
    IX X XIII XIV XL XLIII

2012 MNF Executive Champion

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pfelix73 View Post
    Well, I'm not at all impressed with what Buffalo has been up to. I will predict that in about 3 to 4 years they will look back and conclude that they wasted a #1 draft pick on that QB they drafted. He'll be avg. at best. Their Defense hasn't lived up to their billing, and they just aren't all that good.....
    Well, the rats just won a SB with a QB who is really average at best. I hope the players for the Steelers are not thinking like you do ... because seriously, right now, this team can't afford to look past anyone.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I totallly disagree with you that Flacco is just an avg qb.
    6- Time Super Bowl Champions......
    IX X XIII XIV XL XLIII

2012 MNF Executive Champion

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Bills are a good QB away from being competitive .......oh and 1 QB less away from competing in the Division.
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelBuckeye View Post
    Well, the rats just won a SB with a QB who is really average at best. I hope the players for the Steelers are not thinking like you do ... because seriously, right now, this team can't afford to look past anyone.
    I couldn't agree more. Flacco is a big-armed guy who is inconsistent. He has had several years to prove otherwise and hasnt. If not for Raheem Moore's mistake in last years playoff game Flacco would not have a ring, an MVP, or such an outrageous contract.

We cant afford to overlook anyone, take Oakland for example.

While I cant say I've seen enough of Manuel to judge how good he will be, he appears to be a very physically gifted individual. He could be the next Kapernick.

I think Buffalo is on the upswing and for whatever reason we are not. Kiko Alonso appears to be quite a find.

Backup

User Info Menu

And you are free to do so. However, statistically speaking, over the course of his career, he has been a middle of the road QB. Doesn't mean his "team" hasn't won with him, and I respect that more than talk of "elite" or not.

[url]http://www.thesportspost.com/blogs/view/the-consistent-mediocrity-of-joe-flacco[/url]

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by winwithd View Post
    I couldn't agree more. Flacco is a big-armed guy who is inconsistent. He has had several years to prove otherwise and hasnt. If not for Raheem Moore's mistake in last years playoff game Flacco would not have a ring, an MVP, or such an outrageous contract.

We cant afford to overlook anyone, take Oakland for example.

While I cant say I've seen enough of Manuel to judge how good he will be, he appears to be a very physically gifted individual. He could be the next Kapernick.

I think Buffalo is on the upswing and for whatever reason we are not. Kiko Alonso appears to be quite a find.
    sounds like our very own qb
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Legend

User Info Menu

Go back and watch last year's playoffs in which Flacco "established himself" with such exceptional play. See how many awful throws became lucky completions due to great plays by his receivers (mostly the since departed Anquan Boldin) or sheer incompetency by defensive players (especially the elite Champ Bailey). I'm not talking about close plays that were just out of the reach of defenders, because that is skill. I'm talking about balls heaved up in the air for anyone to get, defenders dropping balls like the went to the Ike Taylor School of Soft Hands, a safety on Denver gift wrapping a long TD out of an easy int. It happened all playoffs long for him. The greatest thing to come out of the Ravens SB is going to be that they tied themselves to this average QB for a long, big money deal.