Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The only thing that is a head scratcher is Lewis

Starter

User Info Menu

The only thing that is a head scratcher is Lewis

You invest the time to mentor him to develop in the Defensive system both mentally and physically and now you are going to reap the benefits of the net payback or return on investment.

He was not asking for unreasonable money to be locked in

You do not even offer him a negotiation session.

Of course I am not in the meetings and practices but this philosophy will begin to eat away at the Defensive approach where you could afford to have a guy to not to start for a couple of years.

can someone talk some sense to me about this move?

Rookie

User Info Menu

Bad timing. The Steelers felt as though their cap situation did not allow for Lewis...

Legend

User Info Menu

Maybe there's more to Lewis than we all know.

Up until this past season, I thought Lewis was destined to be worse than Curtis Brown. He wasn't good at all until last season. And he came in predicting he'd be the best CB in his class. Perhaps he was always and still is a bit of a headcase? Maybe he's a bad presence in the locker room? Maybe he's just another bad apple like his buddy Wally and we didn't want him at any cost as a result?

I think there must be more to it than any fans may ever know.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

it wasn't long ago that he was busting out glass in visiting locker rooms because he had a bad game.

Legend

User Info Menu

I tend to agree that there's more to the Lewis story than we really know. If the Steelers really wanted him, they would've gotten it done.... last year or this year.

Even with all our losses, I still think that Defense will be the least of our worries this season. We need to get a lot more efficient scoring points on offense. And IMO, there's nothing more important needed than a healthy and effective Offensive Line for us to accomplish that.

Legend

User Info Menu

Up until his success in 2012, the question was never his ability. He had been given several opportunities and often messed up due to lack of maturity. I can't believe that this was strictly a salary cap move since they made no effort to retain this guy. If it was cap related then they would have at least spoken to him. I wanted him back too, but the complete lack of an attempt IMO is telling.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Not a head scratcher to me, three years to start, couldn't beat out the beloved Gay and then have a decent not good season.
    The two had scratcher to me are
    Recycling Foote again and recycling DJ, instead of these nickel and dime signings they could at least bring in one decent signing.
    [url=http://img525.imageshack.us/i/steelers2010.jpg/]http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/2...eelers2010.jpg[/url]

Legend

User Info Menu

I've read that Lewis did give the Saints a discount and did turn down more lucrative offers elsewhere. So perhaps he was looking for more than what the Steelers would pay.

I still think losing Lewis is a step back for 2013 and moving forward. This year, the Steelers are essentially swapping Lewis for Gay. Blech. If his price for the Steelers was significantly higher than what he agreed to with the Saints, then I understand this a bit better. But if he would have signed in Pittsburgh for the same price was what he gave the Saints, this makes much less sense.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    I've read that Lewis did give the Saints a discount and did turn down more lucrative offers elsewhere. So perhaps he was looking for more than what the Steelers would pay.

I still think losing Lewis is a step back for 2013 and moving forward. This year, the Steelers are essentially swapping Lewis for Gay. Blech. If his price for the Steelers was significantly higher than what he agreed to with the Saints, then I understand this a bit better. But if he would have signed in Pittsburgh for the same price was what he gave the Saints, this makes much less sense.
    Did we swap Lewis for Gay? Or did the Steelers figure that Cortez could do just as good a job as Lewis.

I think Gay is more for insurance.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eich View Post
    Did we swap Lewis for Gay? Or did the Steelers figure that Cortez could do just as good a job as Lewis.

I think Gay is more for insurance.
    The nickel back plays a lot for the Steelers - Allen logged more snaps than Casey Hampton last year.

I look at the top three of Ike-Lewis-Allen being replaced by Ike-Allen-Gay. So I guess you could say that Allen replaced Lewis (and I think he'll be just fine) and Gay replaced Allen, but either way, Willie Gay is back in the mix, and that is a step back.