Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Subtract another team from the qb question in the top ten: Flynn to Raiders

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Kevin Kolb just went to the Bills. Guess I'll have to adjust my mock. I had them taking Geno Smith.

[url]http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000156120/article/kevin-kolb-agrees-to-contract-with-buffalo-bills[/url]
    1. C.J. Mosley LB Alabama
    2. Jordan Matthews WR Vanderbilt
    3. (comp) Philip Gaines CB Rice
    4. Arthur Lynch TE Georgia
    5. Ross Cockrell CB Duke
    5. (comp) Derrick Hopkins DT Virginia Tech
    6. Josh Mauro DE Stanford
    6. (comp) Shaquil Barrett OLB Colorado State
    7. Quincy Enunwa WR Nebraska

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by thor75 View Post
    Kevin Kolb just went to the Bills. Guess I'll have to adjust my mock. I had them taking Geno Smith.
    Geno Smith hopes the Chiefs are serious about drafting him

By Josh Katzowitz | NFL Writer
    March 31, 2013

About a month before we all meet in New York for the 2013 NFL Draft, now is the time of the year when the team drafting first overall starts sending up smokescreens. The Chiefs most likely are no different.

Though five of our six mock drafters think Kansas City will take an offensive tackle at No. 1 -- either Texas A&M's Luke Joeckel or Central Michigan's Eric Fisher -- the Chiefs are putting out word that's not necessarily true.

So, the team's official Twitter account shows pictures of coaches working out Florida defensive tackle Sharrif Floyd, and coach Andy Reid slyly talks about the talents of West Virginia quarterback Geno Smith.

The goal could be to entice other teams who might want a Floyd or a Smith to potentially trade up with the Chiefs in order to grab the player whom those other squads might want. But Smith, for one, hopes Kansas City's supposed interest in him is really true.

“I hope Kansas City is legitimately interested. I hope I go No. 1. But, hey, we'll see,'' Smith told USA Today in a phone interview. "The Chiefs are bringing me in, so I'm going in there thinking that they're interested [in me], because I am in them.

"I'm just going to do what I've always done, try and impress them, just be myself and allow the process to do its job and get ready for whoever drafts me. I'll be going Monday to Friday, working out for different teams.”

It seems unlikely the Chiefs, who will work him out Monday, would draft Smith in the first round, particularly since they just gave up two second-round draft picks in a trade for Alex Smith and because there are still plenty of questions about Smith's NFL prospects (even though he's probably the top quarterback prospect coming out of college this season).

For the record, our mock drafters have Smith going anywhere from No. 3 to Oakland down to No. 8 to Buffalo. But Smith also could be mighty tempting for the Chiefs.

As USA Today points out, “Smith ran an impressive, 4.56-second, 40-yard dash at the scouting combine, and followed that with a 60-of-64 pro day performance on March 14. He has received strong reviews from teams he's met with, including new Jacksonville Jaguars coach Gus Bradley (after his pro day) and new Eagles coach Chip Kelly, general manager Howie Roseman and owner Jeffrey Lurie (after a workout two days before his pro day).”

It seems likely that Smith will hear his name within the first 10 picks on the first night of the draft, although CBSSports.com's Pete Prisco isn't sure he'd take Smith within the first 20 picks. It probably won't be with Kansas City, but, hey, maybe the Chiefs aren't sending out a smokescreen and really are thinking about drafting Smith.

At this time of the year, it's impossible to know one way or the other.

[URL]http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/eye-on-football/21983678/geno-smith-hopes-the-chiefs-are-serious-about-drafting-him[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Siggy00 View Post
    Facts always support me. I said Haley was a disaster the minute they hired him.

8-8.

It's time for another edition of Crash's Steelers history, so pull up your chair philly and read below:

The history of this team shows when they hire an outsider as OC? It fails.

Joe Walton 1990: Missed the playoffs.

Ray Sherman 1998: Missed the playoffs.

Kevin Gilbride 1999: Missed the playoffs.

Todd Haley 2012: Missed the playoffs.

Three of those coaches inherited teams that went to the playoffs the year prior to being hired.

On the other side of the scale? When the Steelers promote IN house.

Chan Gailey 1996: Playoffs.

Mike Mularkey 2001: Playoffs.

Ken Whisenhut 2004: Playoffs.

Bruce Arians 2007: Playoffs.

Three of those coaches inherited teams that FAILED to make the playoffs the year before they were hired.

So while idiots in the owners box bemoan the relationship between Ben/BA as being "too close" and use them as the scapegoats to protect Dick LeBeau's poor performance in the 4th quarter for 5 years, as well as blame them for the "#1 ranked defense" being humiliated by the NFL's biggest side show freak in the 2012 playoffs, the facts actually show (With Ben as well as before Ben's arrival in 2004) that when this team hires an OC that is familiar with the talent on it, and has a past working relationship with it, it does well.

Which says here the minute they decided that Kirby Wilson (Tomlin's preferred choice after Art canned BA) couldn't perform OC duties due to the injuries suffered in that fire? Tomlin should have been allowed to promote in house candidate Randy Fichtner, who's paid his dues as the WR coach, and then as the QB coach, to OC. It would have given the entire offense a comfort level and probably meant the system wouldn't have been totally revamped, especially for guys like Sanders and Brown who were entering their crucial 3rd seasons, at the same time keeping Mike Wallace as the NFL's premiere deep threat.

But Art couldn't allow that, he hired some scumbag that no one wants to work with because his Dad was a Rooney hired hand 40 years ago and because Tom Brady was yelled at on the sidelines by his OC in 2011 instead. For some reason only known to Art his whole focus in 2012 was to put a HOF QB in his place, to flex his owner muscles and show him who's boss despite the fact that this team was experiencing its second greatest success in its 80 year history next to the 1970's dynasty once #7 became their full time starter in Week 3 of his rookie season.

And Art and his team paid the price for it.

This covers 1990 to 2012, with 8 of the last 9 OC's of this team (Does not include Ron Erhardt who was on Bill Cowher's original 1992 staff as his first OC).

You can either accept the facts, or keep your head buried in the sand while ignoring them.

And wrongfully calling me a troll, won't change them either.

Class dismissed.
    Ben got hurt due to his OWN play.. That's the main reason we missed the playoffs.. Not Haley.. One game and few plays from making playoffs.. Wouldn't take your class If I was paid..
    Black N' Gold Til' I'm Dead N' Cold...
    [url=http://img203.imageshack.us/i/32023126285034060670100.jpg/]http://img203.imageshack.us/img203/4...4060670100.jpg[/url]
    [url=http://img19.imageshack.us/i/steelertowngal.jpg/]http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/107...lertowngal.jpg[/url]
    We don't have any cheerleaders but we do have a few of these \m/...

Backup

User Info Menu

The play-call was garbage, having Heath in the backfield was garbage, it was 3rd and 4 and he's lined up in the backffield with Ben. So he has to run 9 yards, to gain 4.

Redman was blocking on the play also, so there was no dumpoff for Ben either.

If people don't want Ben to step up in the pocket? He's of no use to this team.

Trade him and start Gradkowski.

The facts speak for themselves. Hiring outsiders as OC has been a recipe for disaster for DECADES.

Don't shoot the messenger.

Legend

User Info Menu

Facts always support me. I said Haley was a disaster the minute they hired him.

8-8.

I'm sure all of the injuries the Steelers had last season had absolutely nothing to do with our 8-8 record.

no, it was ALL Todd Haley's fault.
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    I'm sure all of the injuries the Steelers had last season had absolutely nothing to do with our 8-8 record.

no, it was ALL Todd Haley's fault.
    Arians had injuries to deal with too. For YEARS his offensive line was an injury riddled mess.

Didn't stop his offense did it?

Legend

User Info Menu

Arians had injuries to deal with too. For YEARS his offensive line was an injury riddled mess.

Didn't stop his offense did it?
    not until it got into the red zone anyway...

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Backup

User Info Menu

not until it got into the red zone anyway...
    That's what happens when ownership demands the run game.

Only in Pittsburgh would an owner cut the balls off of his own franchise QB.

Art got what he wanted. He also got 8-8.

He can either step back, or he can continue to drive this team into the ground.

His choice.

Legend

User Info Menu

That's what happens when ownership demands the run game.

Only in Pittsburgh would an owner cut the balls off of his own franchise QB.

Art got what he wanted. He also got 8-8.

He can either step back, or he can continue to drive this team into the ground.

His choice.
    so ownership told Arians that he could throw all he wanted until we got to the red zone and then we had to run?

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Backup

User Info Menu

so ownership told Arians that he could throw all he wanted until we got to the red zone and then we had to run?
    Anyone who follows this team would know that local fans, and local media would get upset when Bruce Arians tried to throw the ball in the red zone.

They wanted their run game like when ol' Franco and ol' Jerome were here.

This whole sad situation started after 2009.

Arians appeased Art's wishes starting in 2010. The play-calling, specifically on first down in the red zone, was proof of that.