Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Officiating

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SanAntonioSteelerFan View Post
    Yeah, but did you hear the ref award the Chiefs a "4th and final time out" on that play with penalties on both sides? If we'd lost, I'd be wondering about that one a lot more.
    It was explained by Tirico and Gruden as okay, it's the fifth timeout that would have assessed a penalty to the Chiefs. Personally, it should cost the team yardage the moment they don't have a timeout to take, I don't get the do over.

Pappy

1.20 - JC Latham, OT, Alabama
    2.51 - Xavier leggette, WR, South Carolina
    3.84 - Sedrick Van-Pran Granger, OC, Georgia
    3.98 - Andru Phillips, CB, Kentucky
    4.119 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SanAntonioSteelerFan View Post
    Yeah, but did you hear the ref award the Chiefs a "4th and final time out" on that play with penalties on both sides? If we'd lost, I'd be wondering about that one a lot more.
    I was wondering why the announcers were saying there's a 4th timeout, but no 5th? Is that a new rule?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    I was wondering why the announcers were saying there's a 4th timeout, but no 5th? Is that a new rule?
    I don't think it's new. You get a 4th only if needed for injury.
    [URL]http://www.nfl.com/rulebook/timingfinal[/URL]

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eich View Post
    I don't think it's new. You get a 4th only if needed for injury.
    [URL]http://www.nfl.com/rulebook/timingfinal[/URL]
    I thought it was new, thought that the rule was ten second run off if an injury occurs without a timeout remaining.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BradshawsHairdresser View Post
    No doubt.

When the regular officials were out on strike, I heard a lot of talk from the media about how bad the replacement refs were...Can anyone tell me exactly how the regular zebras are any better? Cause I sure don't see it.
    I kept saying that the officiating was just as bad with the real officials, but nobody listened to me. We are seeing more of the same awful calls, but as someone else said, they are made quicker.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post
    I kept saying that the officiating was just as bad with the real officials, but nobody listened to me. We are seeing more of the same awful calls, but as someone else said, they are made quicker.
    I agreed and have been frustrated by it for a long time. The thing about the replacement refs is that they didn't get time to hear about how horrible the Steelers are, so they threw flags evenly for stuff that shouldn't get called.
    Steel City Mafia
    So Cal Boss (Ret)
    [URL]http://www.anewsong.com[/URL]

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Only reason people complained so hard against the replacement officials is because there was another option, the real officials. Now there is no other option so no other way to go. One thing I don't understand is you have 60 year old officials running around trying to keep up with huge players running super fast. The NFL makes so much money, can't they start an officials school where they can groom younger, more athletic officials that didn't have the talent to play in the NFL but can keep up and be right there in the action?

Legend

User Info Menu

I am one of the few that had little problem with the replacement refs. I thought their decisions were just as good as the regs, but maybe did take a little longer to get the decision. The regular refs gain legitimacy by name only, i.e. "regular" vs "substitute", imagine the media roar if the subs screwed up the clock like in the STL/SF game Sunday ... there would probably be rioting at Goodell's doorstep!!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Djfan View Post
    I agreed and have been frustrated by it for a long time. The thing about the replacement refs is that they didn't get time to hear about how horrible the Steelers are, so they threw flags evenly for stuff that shouldn't get called.
    I think on a call by call basis the replacements were fine.

However, I think the big legit complaint was that they consistently called significantly more penalties on the visitors than the home team. I suppose the argument is that the bad calls by the regular refs even out (home vs. away), where the bad calls by the replacements were biased against the visitors.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BradshawsHairdresser View Post
    No doubt.

When the regular officials were out on strike, I heard a lot of talk from the media about how bad the replacement refs were...Can anyone tell me exactly how the regular zebras are any better? Cause I sure don't see it.
    They are better because the media and analyst cover for them when they screw up.