Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Haley, Ben Repair Relationship (Didnt think they needed to)

Legend

User Info Menu

Haley, Ben Repair Relationship (Didnt think they needed to)

PITTSBURGH

Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger’s surgically repaired right knee is on its way to a full recovery.

So too, it seems, is Roethlisberger’s relationship with offensive coordinator Todd Haley.

Following a somewhat rocky year in which the two couldn’t seem to warm to the idea of the other, the admittedly headstrong men behind Pittsburgh’s offense appear focused on moving forward after the Steelers slumped to an 8-8 finish.

Haley approached Roethlisberger and several other players during the offseason asking them about changes they’d like to see made, and the result is an attack they hope is a little more streamlined than it was in 2012.

“You want your guys that are out there, especially Ben who is handling the football on hopefully an every down basis, to feel invested in what’s going on,” Haley said.

Though Roethlisberger consistently took the blame when things fell apart, he also expressed frustration at the playcalling and at one point reverted to old hand signals left over from mentor Bruce Arians’ run as the offensive coordinator.

Roethlisberger struck a more conciliatory tone while watching minicamp on Tuesday. Though relegated to highly paid spectator by minor surgery on his right knee last week, Roethlisberger gave Haley credit for being proactive in attempting to find common ground.

“Just the simple fact that he came to me and asked what I thought about it, changing the names of things to kind of make more sense to all of us, [helps],” Roethlisberger said.

Having the face of the franchise at ease is a plus. Roethlisberger looked relaxed watching backup Bruce Gradkowski work with the starters as minicamp opened and said his knee feels so good he could “start on Sunday” if the calendar read September instead of June.

Roethlisberger underwent arthroscopic surgery last week to relieve “discomfort” in the knee that he attributed to wear and tear. He endured a similar procedure in 2005 after hyperextending the knee. There was no direct trauma this time.

“I’d come in on Tuesday to practice and it would feel good, and by Thursday, it was almost like a tire was slowly losing air,” Roethlisberger said.

When team doctors suggested addressing the problem now to prevent bigger problems down the road, the two-time Super Bowl winner couldn’t find any room to argue.

“We figured it was time to get it done,” he said.

Roethlisberger expects to be 100 percent when training camp opens on July 26. The down time will let him get a better handle on the tweaks Haley has been working on.

The most significant change focused on the terminology. Roethlisberger thought older players were struggling to get a handle on the new jargon so Haley opted to give it an overhaul, mixing the old and the new. He also promised to revisit certain things during the season if the players come at him with well thought-out suggestions.

“Your big dogs have to have input,” Haley said. “They’re the ones out there facing the live bullets.”

[url]http://www.vindy.com/news/2013/jun/12/haley-ben-move-forward/[/url]
    2019 Mock

1. ILB
    2. CB
    3. ILB
    4. S
    5. CB
    6. ILB
    7. S

Rookie

User Info Menu

So much for "ramming stuff down Ben's throat"...

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    So much for "ramming stuff down Ben's throat"...
    Too bad it couldn't happen a year earlier.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain QB View Post
    what, both Ben and Haley acting like professionals?
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Glad to hear it. It still remains to be seen however, when push comes to shove (adversity in-season). I will say that I like the fact that Ben may be willing to put his ego aside for the good of his squad (and his career).

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Bravo to both parties!!

Rookie

User Info Menu

Yep. That is, indeed, too bad...

Legend

User Info Menu

Frankly, I dont think it would work. Ben had to learn the general workings of the new offense.
    Ben loved the Arians way, Rooneys did not.
    Haley aint gonna change his whole offense to please Ben in a way that got Arians fired.
    Haley's task was to impliment changes not recreate what Ben was comfortable with.

Now that Ben has worked in Haleys offense and knows it, Haley can use Ben's input to shape it.

Think about it.
    Considering the reputation of both Haley and Ben and the EXPECTATIONS of a blowup......
    Ben's brief whinnings last year seem pretty minor, and to already seem to be on the same page seems best case scenario.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher

Legend

User Info Menu

If Haley would have come in from the front end placating Ben, where is the room for compromise and growth? I like Haley coming in, Ben not liking it, and then them coming together through compromise this season. If that would have happened on the front end, I believe Ben was invested in being mad, upset that his friend and father figure got fired. IMO, It wouldn't have worked.

Legend

User Info Menu

We seem to have 2 drama queens now instead of just 1.