Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Foote Back on Three Year Deal

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    Both Tomlin and Colbert could be on the hot seat this year. Tomlin probably moreso because he has much less of a tenure with the Steelers. I think it's safe to say the Rooney's were less than thrilled with the product, coaching and lack of discipline the Steelers displayed.

I hope I'm wrong but I can't see how this team will be any better this year than last.
    they finally have a .500 year and now it's hot seat time? Talk about over reacting.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Or be a realistic fan and realize our competitors are getting better and we are getting worse.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Honestly, Larry Foote should have been done in Pittsburgh for good when he left for Detroit, where he was paid $1.5 million (on the open market!!!) and ended up a 2-down player for them by year's end.

Instead we bring him back, give him a 100% raise, turn over the reigns of the defense to him (despite his 15 wonderlic score) and make him into a 3-down player that plays close to 100% of all snaps (despite being a glaring liability in coverage).

Aren't those facts a complete indictment on this organizations (Colbert/Tomlin/Lebeau) ability to home grow talent? Isn't the quarterback of your defense WORTH investing in?

And don't bull**** me with Sean Spence and his bad luck injury. That guy was undersized and a long shot to begin with. I love how people think he was a guaranteed starter when the fact is he was overdrafted and doesn't belong anywhere close to a 3-4 defense.

This team used to let 3rd contract player walk a year to soon rather than a year too late because we kept the pipeline full of potential starters. That cupboard is bare right now. Even our backups to backups are scrubs being brought in off the street (Plaxico). It's a paradigm shift and it is/will catch up to us.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    they finally have a .500 year and now it's hot seat time? Talk about over reacting.
    It's for many reasons... not just the .500 season....I'll create a different thread about it because I don't want this one to get off topic.

Backup

User Info Menu

Or be a realistic fan and realize our competitors are getting better and we are getting worse.
    When you win as many games as this team has and spent the money they have for a decade there are going to be down years because of age and the cap. Takes two years to get a "cap hell" situation cleared up. You can't avoid it. It happens to every team that wins.

A "realistic" fan would know this.

Backup

User Info Menu

Tomlin's never had a losing season and now he's on the hot seat? LOL

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by deljzc View Post
    Honestly, Larry Foote should have been done in Pittsburgh for good when he left for Detroit, where he was paid $1.5 million (on the open market!!!) and ended up a 2-down player for them by year's end.

Instead we bring him back, give him a 100% raise, turn over the reigns of the defense to him (despite his 15 wonderlic score) and make him into a 3-down player that plays close to 100% of all snaps (despite being a glaring liability in coverage).

Aren't those facts a complete indictment on this organizations (Colbert/Tomlin/Lebeau) ability to home grow talent? Isn't the quarterback of your defense WORTH investing in?

And don't bull**** me with Sean Spence and his bad luck injury. That guy was undersized and a long shot to begin with. I love how people think he was a guaranteed starter when the fact is he was overdrafted and doesn't belong anywhere close to a 3-4 defense.

This team used to let 3rd contract player walk a year to soon rather than a year too late because we kept the pipeline full of potential starters. That cupboard is bare right now. Even our backups to backups are scrubs being brought in off the street (Plaxico). It's a paradigm shift and it is/will catch up to us.
    You are right but criticizing those 3 names are not allowed. lol. We are supposed to have Steelers goggles on and think "all is good".

If Foote is getting 2.5 million in the first year of his 3 year deal, it's completely unacceptable...

- Overpaying for a vet that isn't worth 2.5
    - Not developing ANYBODY in all of these years that can unseat him

Let's see....

We went from Foote and Timmons sharing time and Farrior, to....
    Timmons and Farrior, to ...
    Timmons and Foote ...

We are getting progressively worse as a team....

Ike Taylor will be 33.5 by the start of the season.
    Larry Foote will be almost 33.5 by the start of the season.
    Ryan Clark will be 34 in October
    Keisel will be 35 in September
    Polamalu is the veteran youngin' and he will be 32 in April

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Larry represents some stability, we didn't have too may options other than a FA who can't be guaranteed to be any better than Larry.
    Overall Foote played well last season so I can't understand why fans would want him to leave.
    The Steelers are doing what they can to be a competitive team under the circumstances they are dealing with, keep in mind they are limited to a degree.

Legend

User Info Menu

we can't be the king of the hill every year.

Legend

User Info Menu

The Steelers aren't getting worse because of Larry Foote. They will be worse because they've released James Harrison, won't be re-signing Wallace, Mendenhall or Starks and it appears Keenan Lewis is headed out of town. The Steelers 2nd best linebacker (I'll give Timmons benefit of the doubt), their best WR, their best RB and their 2nd best cornerback (possibly best cornerback). We're going to complain about signing Larry Foote, really?

If you want to complain about the FO and coaching staff then complain because the Steelers have to let go of the best player at 2 positions and the 2nd best player at three others, not because they sign a good steady performer to a 2.5 million dollar contract for the first year of a three year deal. Geesh guys and gals, I know 8-8 sucks but we're going into hyper meltdown here.

Pappy

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount