Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Dri Archer

Backup

User Info Menu

He's never ran a full tree route. He also doesn't fight for the ball. He also doesn't have a very big catch radius. So the ball must be almost on top of him. You also play your hand with him in the backfield. He can't be allowed to block so he is always going to either run the ball (usually wide) or he is going out in the pattern.

Also find it interesting that nobody will talk about his fumbles or his inability to stay healthy. Do people really think the NFL is less rugged than the Mid-American Conference? Also he is not a punt returner. He did it 6 times for 8 yards. So he'll have a ton of stuff to work on. He has to learn to be a slot WR, learn to be a punt returner, and learn to not fumble the ball. That's a lot of learning for a 3rd round pick in one of the deeps drafts at WRs in years.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY View Post
    That's what Archer is...RB/WR. The Steelers aren't going to line him up & try to make him a work horse between tackles. He is going to be the top of the "I" in "20" series personnel to create mismatches. Johnson will be the guy staying in to block. Archer will be matched up on a LB or S if the defense stays in base. They will run PA or shift him out. If the defense starts to counter to nickel the Steelers can do the same or run outside zone, sprint draw, or screen. When you go "10" series personnel...Archer goes in the slot for reverse or PA patterns with Bell in the backfield. He can make the offense dynamic. You create identification nightmares between snaps for DCs trying to put their right personnel packages on the field. WHATEVER package they run out...BB will counter with an audible. That creates the "chess match". With the weapons in place for BB...There is a very high ceiling this offense could obtain.

Archer will get a helmet gameday because of his return ability. He will be worked to try & take over PR too. Archer has RB vision & great change of direction to go along with his homerun speed. What he also has is body control similar to a receiver & looks capable of running the whole route tree. 99 catches for 1,194 yards & 12 TDs over his college career to go along with 325/2,342 & 24 TDs rushing. When he is on the field...DCs have to guess. As long as the Tavon Austins, Dexter McClusters, Ace Sanders, & Darren Sproles of the world show they could do it in the NFL...There is nothing stopping Archer from being productive. Since he now is a Steeler...I'm all in
    JPN--please educate "10 versus 20 series?"
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Vader View Post
    He's never ran a full tree route. He also doesn't fight for the ball. He also doesn't have a very big catch radius. So the ball must be almost on top of him. You also play your hand with him in the backfield. He can't be allowed to block so he is always going to either run the ball (usually wide) or he is going out in the pattern.

Also find it interesting that nobody will talk about his fumbles or his inability to stay healthy. Do people really think the NFL is less rugged than the Mid-American Conference? Also he is not a punt returner. He did it 6 times for 8 yards. So he'll have a ton of stuff to work on. He has to learn to be a slot WR, learn to be a punt returner, and learn to not fumble the ball. That's a lot of learning for a 3rd round pick in one of the deeps drafts at WRs in years.
    That stuff can be learned...

Speed can't be...

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    That stuff can be learned...

Speed can't be...
    Tell that to all those guys who failed. Lots of fast players fail in the NFL... hell the Steelers just brought in one failed speedster in DHB. You remember Jerome Mathis? Same exact speed of Archer. He is 3 inches taller and 10 pounds heavier. Houston took him in the 4th round. He had one good year then got hurt. Last I remember he was playing for the Pittsburgh Power. Again, lots of fast people that can't make it in the NFL. Remember Yamon Figures? The rats took him in the 3rd round. Some how they couldn't teach him enough to stay in the league either. 6 NFL teams tried and cut him. So you might not be able to teach speed but speed isn't anywhere near the most important thing to have to be successful in the NFL.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Tell that to all those guys who failed. Lots of fast players fail in the NFL... hell the Steelers just brought in one failed speedster in DHB. You remember Jerome Mathis? Same exact speed of Archer. He is 3 inches taller and 10 pounds heavier. Houston took him in the 4th round. He had one good year then got hurt. Last I remember he was playing for the Pittsburgh Power. Again, lots of fast people that can't make it in the NFL. Remember Yamon Figures? The rats took him in the 3rd round. Some how they couldn't teach him enough to stay in the league either. 6 NFL teams tried and cut him. So you might not be able to teach speed but speed isn't anywhere near the most important thing to have to be successful in the NFL.
    If you go back and look, nowhere does I say that speed is the most important thing to be successful...

However, I implied that speed like Archer's is definitely worth drafting...even with a comp pick in the 3rd round, though you may disagree...

Also, I showed that there are a few productive NFL players that Archer matches closely in size...for the mismatches he can create, it was a good risk for the Steelers to take, IMHO...

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    If you go back and look, nowhere does I say that speed is the most important thing to be successful...

However, I implied that speed like Archer's is definitely worth drafting...even with a comp pick in the 3rd round, though you may disagree...

Also, I showed that there are a few productive NFL players that Archer matches closely in size...for the mismatches he can create, it was a good risk for the Steelers to take, IMHO...
    I think it is insane to take a "risk" in the 3rd round with someone with .001% chance of bucking a trend. I know you and others find players that are "close" to his size. But the fact is that nobody his size has done anything of note in the NFL in over 20 years. If Archer ran .1 of a second slower would you take the risk? Really? Speed is the only thing you and others are banking on because he has nothing else. The facts still remain the same. He has a small frame, small hands, fumbles a lot, injured a lot and can't do what other WRs or RBs can do blocking. Yes, I know Steeler fans think he'll be the "one"... just like Rainey was a few years ago.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    JPN--please educate "10 versus 20 series?"
    10 series is 1 RB, 20 series is 2 RB.

More specifically...

10 personnel is 1 RB, 0 TE
    11 personnel is 1 RB, 1 TE
    12 personnel is 1 RB, 2 TE

20 personnel is 2 RB, 0 TE
    21 personnel is 2 RB, 1 TE
    22 personnel is 2 RB, 2 TE
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

With that 3rd round comp pick, the front office is on record as saying that they were choosing between Dri Archer and Martavis Bryant. If they chose not to select the guy who needs to learn to be a slot WR, learn to be a punt returner, and learn to not fumble the ball (and wanted to take advantage of one of the deepest drafts at WRs in years), they would have instead selected Bryant at 3.97. However, they were able to get the big WR they wanted in the next round anyway, so how exactly did the Archer pick prevent them from being able to take advantage of one of the deepest drafts at WRs in years?
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Rookie

User Info Menu

But the fact is that nobody his size has done anything of note in the NFL in over 20 years.
    Except for guys like Tavon Austin and Dexter McCluster...

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    With that 3rd round comp pick, the front office is on record as saying that they were choosing between Dri Archer and Martavis Bryant. If they chose not to select the guy who needs to learn to be a slot WR, learn to be a punt returner, and learn to not fumble the ball (and wanted to take advantage of one of the deepest drafts at WRs in years), they would have instead selected Bryant at 3.97. However, they were able to get the big WR they wanted in the next round anyway, so how exactly did the Archer pick prevent them from being able to take advantage of one of the deepest drafts at WRs in years?
    An excellent question...

It "might have" prevented them...but it didn't...