Thread: Notes from Monday's Practice

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Starter

User Info Menu

I mentioned Jarvis Jones' hands in my earlier post, but I feel like it's important enough to mention again. A pass rusher this young who is already utilizing technique like this is waaaay ahead of the curve IMO.

We've all seen plenty of pass rushers slam into lineman, TE's and RB's only to create a large collision but not get past their blocker to get to the QB. For #95 to be surprising people with his hand-work this early is awesome. Can't wait to see more of this kid during camp and the rest of the preseason.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelsnis View Post
    I mentioned Jarvis Jones' hands in my earlier post, but I feel like it's important enough to mention again. A pass rusher this young who is already utilizing technique like this is waaaay ahead of the curve IMO.

We've all seen plenty of pass rushers slam into lineman, TE's and RB's only to create a large collision but not get past their blocker to get to the QB. For #95 to be surprising people with his hand-work this early is awesome. Can't wait to see more of this kid during camp and the rest of the preseason.
    I agree. The article on Jones was really encouraging. Sounds like he has good technique and good instincts. Really excited to see what he can do.

Also interesting that he was on the inside a bit. I'd love to see a passing defense with Jones, Woodley and Worilds all on the field at once.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    Also interesting that he was on the inside a bit. I'd love to see a passing defense with Jones, Woodley and Worilds all on the field at once.
    Add Timmons and the QB won't know which way to look.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post
    Add Timmons and the QB won't know which way to look.
    Yup. I didn't mean to omit Timmons - I was just thinking of the three outside guys.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelsnis View Post

I also found it interesting that in the backs on backers drill, when he faced Bell 4 times, he used the same technique each time. To me, this shows a player who is advanced beyond the "fighting for his life" position that most rooks find themselves in and instead is in the "trying to perfect certain techniques" place that is usually reserved for seasoned vets. To me, I was envisioning a man whose focus was not winning each drill. He is working to master his bull rush, which is not known to be his greatest asset as a rusher. Maybe that is just me looking for a silver lining somewhere, but I found it an interesting tidbit.