Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2013 Steelers Defense is at the Bottom Against the Run

Legend

User Info Menu

2013 Steelers Defense is at the Bottom Against the Run

We are ranked 29th in the league against the run. Casey Hampton may have been "retired" a little too soon. Steve McClendon may be strong, but he isnt playing NT the way we need him to, so this D can be productive. Offense is a big concern, but our run D is causing us to lose just as much. I haven't re-watched any games to evaluate McClendons performances, but it starts up front, so he must be losing the battle. Also, Vince Williams hasnt been lighting the world on fire, so we might have several concerns on run D.

What has anyone else seen from our run D?
    2019 Mock

1. ILB
    2. CB
    3. ILB
    4. S
    5. CB
    6. ILB
    7. S

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

big snack + aaron smith mixed in with a little keisel was perhaps the greatest down 3 in steeler history. NOTHING got through them and it allowed our LB's to do their stuff and our secondary to focus on defending the big play. These days we have to commit more to stopping the run - and not only has that now worked, it's opened up holes elsewhere.
    2014 MNF EXEC CHAMPION!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

I thought it was a passing league?

I think its more than the NT. Our O stinks so our D stays on the field... Foote was our QB on D, Hood isn't consistent, McClendon is one gap, Williams is trash right now... but we also aren't finishing tackles.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Again ... we have a personnel problem, not a schematic problem. It starts right in the middle of the defense.
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post

I think its more than the NT. Our O stinks so our D stays on the field... Foote was our QB on D, Hood isn't consistent, McClendon is one gap, Williams is trash right now... but we also aren't finishing tackles.
    You're right about the missed tackles. If we were a better tackling D would that be enough?

Heres another thought, is the new D line objective the cause for our run D be so bad (rushing the QB more)? I think it is, although it's helping our pass D. What will Dick LeBeau do?
    Last edited by SteelCrazy; 10-05-2013 at 09:50 PM.
    2019 Mock

1. ILB
    2. CB
    3. ILB
    4. S
    5. CB
    6. ILB
    7. S

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SidSmythe View Post
    Again ... we have a personnel problem, not a schematic problem. It starts right in the middle of the defense.
    Agreed.
    They were showing the "great innovations" show on NFLN, and I caught the part when they were talking Tampa 2. Tampa 2 was great in Tampa, because of Sapp, Brooks, Lynch and the rest. It was copied and tried in places like DET, and it failed miserably. Because of talent.

People on here rail against DL's scheme, but he11... put some stars on this D, and watch this scheme thrive. I'm sorry, I like Keisel too... but he's not a star. Timmons is not a star. Ike isn't a star. Clark is not a star. These are our best defensive players (along with Polamalu and Woodley), and while they are solid pros... none are stars. We've watched our stars walk out the door over the past couple years do to age (Harrison, Hampton), and we haven't replaced them.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shoe View Post
    Agreed.
    They were showing the "great innovations" show on NFLN, and I caught the part when they were talking Tampa 2. Tampa 2 was great in Tampa, because of Sapp, Brooks, Lynch and the rest. It was copied and tried in places like DET, and it failed miserably. Because of talent.

People on here rail against DL's scheme, but he11... put some stars on this D, and watch this scheme thrive. I'm sorry, I like Keisel too... but he's not a star. Timmons is not a star. Ike isn't a star. Clark is not a star. These are our best defensive players (along with Polamalu and Woodley), and while they are solid pros... none are stars. We've watched our stars walk out the door over the past couple years do to age (Harrison, Hampton), and we haven't replaced them.
    In retrospect, we probably shoulda tried to keep Max and Hampton for another year and we might have gotten a bit better than 8-8 with healthy Troy and Woodley back. So many of these young players are just not cutting it yet and may never. And we didn't add any significant FAs a la Farrior, Clark, Bettis to help us out.

I hope something starts clicking next week. As bad as we are, we're not that bad. There's still too much talent on this team for 0-4. It doesn't make sense.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    So many of these young players are just not cutting it yet and may never.
    IMO the gap between our NT play in the past and now is huge. We have been getting pressure from the outside but it is easily avoided by the QB stepping up into the pocket. For most or all of the big runs against us this year, the RB crossed the line on the inside before bouncing outside. The problem is that nobody plugs the middle, and that is where a 6' 1", 360 lb mass of fat could come in handy. I don't think that Casey can get it done anymore, but I recognize that he did for many years.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post

It is which is why we have seen four games of teams easily exploiting the cushion our CBs give them and march down the field on opening drives. This is what gives them the ability to force Timmons to play chase in coverage versus attacking the LOS. That then creates the ability to run.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    In retrospect, we probably shoulda tried to keep Max and Hampton for another year and we might have gotten a bit better than 8-8 with healthy Troy and Woodley back. So many of these young players are just not cutting it yet and may never. And we didn't add any significant FAs a la Farrior, Clark, Bettis to help us out.

I hope something starts clicking next week. As bad as we are, we're not that bad. There's still too much talent on this team for 0-4. It doesn't make sense.
    I disagree. It was time to cut ties with guys like Hampton and Starks even last year. I do agree that this team is not 0-4, and that is an indictment on the coaching staff and management (i.e. scouting, contracts) as much as it can be.