Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Steelers fans on the road....some are a disgrace

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I sat through 6 Ravens fans that did nothing but taunt 3 rows in front of me at Heinz Field until Troy went pick 6 on the Ravens and they were notin there seats when the crowd was done going nuts.

i could not find my 59 year old dad after we played the Jets in the last AFCCG until 20 minutes after the game and he emerged with a broken nose because a Jets fan assaulted him in the bathroom after my dad uttered 'man, good game until the end' an the Jet fan punched him in the face.

At the last Ravens playoff game my buddy loft a snowball lightly in a joking manner only to have 6 Ravens fans approach him over it and a brawl break out over a casual joke.

Unless any 'Steelers Fan' was 100% sure from the city, I wouldn't be shocked if the fan in your adopted city lived 2 blocks from you.

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    I never thought about this. But I'm starting to wonder was this all driven by greed. The rich needed to expand the work force to reduce labor costs. So they marketed feminism to women who never really wanted it in the first place? It drove down wages and necessitated families have multiple incomes in today's world to get all the stuff the rich people tell you that you need to have.

So they effectively weaved greed into the culture and created consumerism which drove major divides in families and society. It's all like a matured version of slavery. Building of a cultural divide. The more you tear people apart, the more anger and animosity. Then you bring them together with sports and align them against others and the anger from the greed driven divide manifests itself in stadiums and lunacy and fan violence.

The world has become so corrupted, the only way for a sane person to escape may just be alcohol or medications. Everyone's on some kind of medication and those who aren't likely are getting chemicals in the food and water supply. We get dumber, poorer, focused on materialism, and it's just all messed up.

Now we've got Steeler fans peeing on themselves and not even realizing it. So sad.
    So the lack of God, feminism, and the rich are all responsible for rude football fans??

OK......

How about just a lack of personal responsibility, and alcohol? I'm guessing if you use foul language in your home, you probably have no problem dropping the f-bomb in public. This isn't a Steeler fan issue, the an epidemic because there is no discipline anymore. But alcohol is the number one problem...then tack on the fact that most people see themselves as the center of the universe, and you can see why there is a problem.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Get rid of booze and the fan behavior will improve. Its as simple as that in my opinion. There will come a day when it will become undeniably apparent that booze at stadiums is the fuel for bad behavior by fans. Unfortunately, tragedies will have to take place & people will probably have to lose their lives before a ban occurs. It may take another 20 years, but I think it will happen.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Booze will never be banned. It's big bucks! And the USA's cult religion of corporate profits and big business will always prevail until something changes.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I somewhat agree with you Skyhawk about the booze. But the problem over time may be so big that the NFL may be forced to ban booze or risk losing people wanting to buy tickets to attend games. I think that all it takes is 5% of the fans in attendance to ruin it for the other 95%. As I said, it may take 20 years but I think it's headed in that direction. College football doesn't have this problem and their stadiums are packed.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh View Post
    I sat through 6 Ravens fans that did nothing but taunt 3 rows in front of me at Heinz Field until Troy went pick 6 on the Ravens and they were notin there seats when the crowd was done going nuts.

i could not find my 59 year old dad after we played the Jets in the last AFCCG until 20 minutes after the game and he emerged with a broken nose because a Jets fan assaulted him in the bathroom after my dad uttered 'man, good game until the end' an the Jet fan punched him in the face.

At the last Ravens playoff game my buddy loft a snowball lightly in a joking manner only to have 6 Ravens fans approach him over it and a brawl break out over a casual joke.

Unless any 'Steelers Fan' was 100% sure from the city, I wouldn't be shocked if the fan in your adopted city lived 2 blocks from you.
    My experience is that the vast majority of a hole Steeler fans are VISITING the away city, and still live in Western PA. I hang out with a crowd of 20 Steeler fans here, who live here, and almost none ever act like jerks. But when we see visitors come to FL, they tend to be rude, ribald, obnoxious, etc. And my best evidence of this is the previous to me moving the hell out of WPA, I _was_ one of those jerks. When you change locals, with better weather, island-type living, you learn how to relax and just be a nicer person. There is something about living in WPA that tends to make you less refined, etc. I know from personal experience.

Backup

User Info Menu

First of all the whole myth of Steeler fans traveling so well is BS...they already live there. It's not that we travel to take over other cities, tyhe Steelers with their 6 Super Bowls makes them a huge bandwagon team, couple that with the fact that many people left western PA in the 70's and relocated all across the US, means that every NFL city already has thousands of Steeler fans already living there. Again this isn't a Steeler problem, it's an alcohol problem. When people get drunk they do stupid stuff, if they are wearing a Steeler jersey or a Raider jersey it makes no difference.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SDSteel1 View Post
    First of all the whole myth of Steeler fans traveling so well is BS...they already live there. It's not that we travel to take over other cities, tyhe Steelers with their 6 Super Bowls makes them a huge bandwagon team, couple that with the fact that many people left western PA in the 70's and relocated all across the US, means that every NFL city already has thousands of Steeler fans already living there. Again this isn't a Steeler problem, it's an alcohol problem. When people get drunk they do stupid stuff, if they are wearing a Steeler jersey or a Raider jersey it makes no difference.
    I think you are over-simplifying a tad here. First of all, you are 100% right that most Steeler fans you see at away games do indeed live there. That is very true, but not EVERY terrible towel seen waving is by a local resident. How do I know? Because I have TALKED TO visiting Steeler fans who made the trip, and that happens at a higher rate when the locale is a warm weather city and Pittsburghers want to get out of the dreary weather. So, I have witnessed, first hand, many Steeler fans who really did travel for an away game. Also, you can't blame it 100% of just booze. I drink at games, and don't get obnoxious. It's not as simple as saying it 100% the booze's fault. It can increase rude behavior, but it is not 100% the total culprit. Steeler fans can be quite crass on their own as I have witnessed it first hand.

One other thing: Generally speaking, if you are an away fan at Heinz Field, and if you generally don't get to loud or obnoxious yourself, you should be fairly safe. But when I see visiting fans gets a little too annoying is when they might get in some trouble. Most who keep to themselves will only get light ribbing in most cases.

Legend

User Info Menu

I was watching Real Sports year in review and they had the same youtube clip I posted earlier. The guy that did that clip commented that when he took his kid to a game, his kid asked why everyone's drinking/drunk before they walk into the stadium.

It was a roundtable of Bryant Gumble and a bunch of old guys and women commenting and the consensus was why would anyone go to a game anymore when you can just watch at home on your huge tv in a safe environment.

One of the guys commented the mentality is the same as the Bloods and the Crips. And the thought process is how can you disrespect me on my turf wearing those colors.

I wonder what the problems of the world will look like when today's kids grow up. They'll probably think back to the good ole days when people just punched each other at sporting events. And 50 years from now they'll be complaining about people bringing heavy artillery into games. There's already wackos bringing guns into movie theaters, schools, shopping malls? Too surprise this generation, would someone have to bring a tank in Heinz field? or call in an air strike?

Backup

User Info Menu

I didn't say no Steeler fans travel, I know a ton of Charger fans that travel too. Just because you say you handle your alcohol well really means nothing. Rude behavior can easily be blamed on society today, but as I said before, it's not a "Steeler problem". It's a world wide issue because people lack self responsibility and society is rude.