Thread: If Romney Was Smarter...

Legend

User Info Menu

If Romney Was Smarter...

He would comment on the dollars he paid in taxes versus Obama instead of percentages.

He'd spin it as patriotic that he's paying a ton to help out the middle class.

He'd lay out the total dollars Obama has paid in taxes. He'd say Obama's rich too. And he'd make the case that Obama doesn't care about the poor or he'd make himself pay more taxes like Romney does to help the less fortunate out.

Have a real conversation about taxes. Make Obama look like he doesn't understand math for using percentages. Talk about how much you're paying and how much gov't services you are consuming. Make it logical for the average American.

If these guys weren't so caught up in being douches. And marketing the sound byte.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Playing to the total amount rather than the % is a losing game that makes Romney look more out of touch and like a rich jagoff.

I think that would be a disaster, because the percentage is what matters to most people, and everyone would see right through that.

Legend

User Info Menu

I gotta believe Romney is really smart ... dumb people don't usually succeed in business as spectacularly well as he did. For some reason that isn't translating into an effective campaign - with the economy in a shambles like it is, it seems like it should be easy to be crushing O'bama at this stage.

But, "If Romney were smarter" ... he would have spent the summer defining himself and his policies before O'bama could.

Like him or not, Americans have had 4 years to form a very strong opinion of O'bama, and no amount of $$ spent by either side is going to change that much. Romney decided however to try ... and not surprisingly, he hasn't budged O'bama's #'s one iota.

Romney on the other hand was a relatively unknown factor at the start of the race. But instead of spending his time and $$ "introducing" himself to the voters on his terms, he decided long ago to play the role of a stealth candidate - not say anything specific enough to be controversial, instead to bank on the bad economy being enough to get him to the White House. That opened the door for very effective negative advertising by O'bama. Whether that is enough to keep Romney from getting in is what's going to make the rest of the summer and fall interesting.

Attacks re: taxes, dogs on the roof, car elevators, Team Romney dressage horses in the Olympics, cocaine dealers hosting Fla. fund raisers, charges of being shifty/dishonest, offshore banking accounts ... these are only chess moves by O'bama to keep Romney on the defensive, and take the conversation off the economy - where Romney needs it to be to win. These attacks have been amazingly successful at doing just that. Some say that Romney had fallen so far behind as a result of these attacks this summer that he was forced to make a "Palin-esque" Hail Mary choice of Paul Ryan to try to win.

Like I said, it should be interesting. Romney is simultaneously trying to appeal to the base with the Ryan pick, and running away from it by hiding most of the people he ran against, and other far right superstars, in the basement of the Republican Convention. Newt has been newtered without a speaking slot, I don't think my Favorite Current Governor of the State I Live In is even attending (more coyotes to shoot while jogging), and Palin wasn't even invited. Anyone know if Santorum got a speaking slot? Or Ron Paul?
    Last edited by SanAntonioSteelerFan; 08-17-2012 at 02:40 PM.

We got our "6-PACK" - time to work on a CASE!

HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!

Legend

User Info Menu

Sometimes when I hear about these tax returns, I think one of us knuckleheads would be qualified to run for president. At least those of us that don't have any tax loopholes or offshore accounts or capital gains like these guys do.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Honestly, I have to feel like anyone who cares about their country and fellow citizens. is a good leader and can communicate well, and is smart enough to let others do their job and make educated decisions based on their input is qualified... It's pretty much like a head coach of a football team.

Unfortunately what we get is egotistical rich people who want to make their mark on history rather than concerned individuals who want to do what is best for the United States of America. The system sucks. And that is why Ron Paul is the only politician I have ever outright supported...because he is honest and obviously truly cares.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by D Rock View Post
    Honestly, I have to feel like anyone who cares about their country and fellow citizens. is a good leader and can communicate well, and is smart enough to let others do their job and make educated decisions based on their input is qualified... It's pretty much like a head coach of a football team.

Unfortunately what we get is egotistical rich people who want to make their mark on history rather than concerned individuals who want to do what is best for the United States of America. The system sucks. And that is why Ron Paul is the only politician I have ever outright supported...because he is honest and obviously truly cares.
    Yes Sir.

August 27-30 .. Republican National Convention. Americans will fight for freedom. It will nt end there of course because we must fight back locally and nationaly.... Kepp your eye on the RNC .... Freedom is what we fight for.

PEACE