Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Taking a QB early

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Taking a QB early

I never thought I'd be saying this, but I wouldn't mind them taking a QB by the 3rd round, even though we have so many needs. Why?

1. We have no depth after 7.
    2. I'd like to see a QB good enough behind Ben who would actually push and threaten BB.

Let's face it: Fans and coaches are not going to consider benching Ben with a Batch or Lefty. But a young QB with legit hope of developing could create a little fire in the belly of the bonehead, who thinks game and season-losing interceptions are funny. Not to mention, BB may only have a few years left regardless, and his contract is up in 3 years. It might be time to start planning for Steeler football post BB. And maybe a decent prospect, that the fans start wanting to see play instead of Mr. Bonehead, what-me-worry, lost-his-clutch-gene BB.

Throw out some QBs who'd be worth looking at in the 3rd-round or later.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lloydroid View Post
    I never thought I'd be saying this, but I wouldn't mind them taking a QB by the 3rd round, even though we have so many needs. Why?

1. We have no depth after 7.
    2. I'd like to see a QB good enough behind Ben who would actually push and threaten BB.

Let's face it: Fans and coaches are not going to consider benching Ben with a Batch or Lefty. But a young QB with legit hope of developing could create a little fire in the belly of the bonehead, who thinks game and season-losing interceptions are funny. Not to mention, BB may only have a few years left regardless, and his contract is up in 3 years. It might be time to start planning for Steeler football post BB. And maybe a decent prospect, that the fans start wanting to see play instead of Mr. Bonehead, what-me-worry, lost-his-clutch-gene BB.

Throw out some QBs who'd be worth looking at in the 3rd-round or later.
    I could see taking one early in future drafts, we have too many needs besides a QB with a clip board at this time. When you need an OLB,TE,WR,S,ILB,RB, those positions become priority and QB becomes an after thought.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

That's why they scout. You don't just put down on a peice of paper "Draft QB in 3rd Round"
    You rate guys on HOW they can help your team in the future.

Take Kirk Cousins ... he was there in the 4th round last year and the Redskins saw value in HIM (not the QB position).
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I could see them taking a QB early IF they plan on trading Ben. However, I don't think they need anyone to "push" him for a starting job. He's already one of the best in the NFL and his competitive nature is unquestioned by all but the willfully blind. I do agree, however, that they do need to get some competent younger backups in by the time camp starts so that they can have a full offseasons activities under their belt for the inevitable stretch where Ben is out.

Legend

User Info Menu

They won't be adding any QB to 'push or threaten' their $100m+ Franchise QB.
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Kool-Aid McKinstry CB
    2. Sedrick Van Pran-Grainger OC
    3. Malachi Corley WR
    3. Maason Smith DT
    4. Matt Goncalves OT
    6. Trevin Wallace ILB
    7. AJ Barner TE

Legend

User Info Menu

They used a 4th on Sepulveda. So the Steelers must view their 4-7 round picks as gambles/throw aways. I wouldn't expect a QB before round 4 unless they know Ben is done in the next couple years.

Legend

User Info Menu

I think its time...

Legend

User Info Menu

I'm ok with it if the Steelers think they have spotted an underrated talent. A guy like Landry Jones interests me a great deal.
    Trolls are people too.

Starter

User Info Menu

Quarterback will be drafted next year as the "future".. we all know this draft sucks for QB's..
    Black N' Gold Til' I'm Dead N' Cold...
    [url=http://img203.imageshack.us/i/32023126285034060670100.jpg/]http://img203.imageshack.us/img203/4...4060670100.jpg[/url]
    [url=http://img19.imageshack.us/i/steelertowngal.jpg/]http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/107...lertowngal.jpg[/url]
    We don't have any cheerleaders but we do have a few of these \m/...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

If I was Colbert I would offer our 3rd to the Eagles for Foles. If they would go with our 2014 #3 even better but they may want this years. Foles showed enough to be your #2 and get an UDFA or street FA to be your #3. I would even be ok with Batch or Lefty as the #3 at that point. The Steelers could re-acquire a 3rd or 4th by trading down in the 1st or 2nd.