Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Eyebrow raising quote from Ben

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Eyebrow raising quote from Ben

"That's coach Haley's call," Roethlisberger said of the Jets game. "He's the one that calls all of the plays. There was no no-huddle. Our no-huddle is usually when we have three wide receivers on the field. (The coaches) saw something and wanted to run the ball with multiple tight ends and keep (the media) and the fans happy, I guess."
    The coaches want to "keep the media and fans happy" by their play calling? That is a pretty bold and interesting quote...and kind of inflammatory. I don't think that by using 2 tight ends it's making any fans happy. Most just want to win and have the team employ play calls that give us the best chance of winning, period. I don't think I fully understand what Ben is talking about.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Yeah, I read that, too...

It didn't particularly raise my eyebrows nor did I find it particularly inflammatory...

Legend

User Info Menu

if he wanted to be inflammatory, he would have said "and keep Mr Rooney happy".

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I think a QB stating that coaches are calling plays to "keep the fans happy" is a little inflammatory if you ask me. He is saying that they are calling plays on what they think the fans want instead of calling plays that they think are best to win games. If that were true, that would be pretty f---ked up.

Legend

User Info Menu

I believe the man was joking when he said to the assembled media "keep you guys and the fans happy"
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    if he wanted to be inflammatory, he would have said "and keep Mr Rooney happy".
    or better yet:

"That's the golf coach's call," Roethlisberger said of the Jets game. "He's the one that calls all of the plays. There was no no-huddle. Our no-huddle is usually when we have three wide receivers on the field. The golf coach and the janitor saw something and wanted to run the ball with multiple tight ends and keep Art II the two-bit lawyer and the fans who are still stuck in the 70s happy, I guess."
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    I believe the man was joking when he said to the assembled media "keep you guys and the fans happy"
    That is what I was thinking but you would have to actually see the clip. Ben likes to act glib during the media scrum and it does not translate well to the written media.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post
    That is what I was thinking but you would have to actually see the clip. Ben likes to act glib during the media scrum and it does not translate well to the written media.
    I don't think you even need to see it to know. Anything this ridiculous had to be said tongue in cheek.

Legend

User Info Menu

Anyone else recognize SARCASM? Why is everyone always looking for a conspiracy? Or turmoil?

Ben reads and knows how there is a subset of fans who still long for the days of Franco and Rocky and believe that is "Steeler Football" as archaic as the notion may be.

Ben is a QB. I would be more concerned if he didn't want to throw the ball all the time. Do you really think he should have any confidence in the running game with the "great" redman getting 2.0 yards per carry and Dwyer not doing much better?
    Last edited by Oviedo; 09-21-2012 at 04:26 PM.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

has Ben been listening to Crash again?
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha