Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: wide receivers at combine

Starter

User Info Menu

wide receivers at combine

I was wondering what people here were thinking after seeing what the WRs did at the combine Sunday. Did anything there change your opinion on who we should target to replace Wallace? One of the writers at NFL.com suggested the Steelers ought to get Tavon Austin if Wallace leaves. Is he a first-rounder? Marquise Goodwin's comparison to a current player is listed as Mike Wallace and I would think he is more of a day-2 guy, (Rnd 3 like Wallace?). I'd think the Raiders wouldn't pass on him 3 times though if he is still there.

I liked the numbers Ryan Swope posted. Seems like he could be a Jordy Nelson type. I'd hate to see the Patsies get him.

I could live with a Cordarelle Patterson at #17. Someone said he is close to a Julio Jones type with freakish athletic ability.

Legend

User Info Menu

If the Steelers want purely a 'fast WR', there are a few options to choose from. Not sure that is the direction they will go, however, as Antonio Brown is supposed to be moving into Wallace's spot.

Any new WR will have to be able to play that slot WR, cross-the-middle type role.

Forgetting the timed speeds & just looking at the pass-catching drills, one player stood out to Chadman- Tavarres King. He's a smooth runner & catches everything very fluidly. He seems very natural.
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Jackson Powers-Johnson OC
    2. Ruke Orhorhoro DT
    3. Khyree Jackson CB
    3. Marcus Rosemy-Jacksaint WR
    4. Jordan Travis QB
    6. Jordan Jefferson DT

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

No not for me. I still think that Terrence Williams and DeAndre Hopkins are the best WR's in this draft. And neither really tore it up in the 40. Both would be great compliments to what the Steelers already have.
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chadman View Post
    If the Steelers want purely a 'fast WR', there are a few options to choose from. Not sure that is the direction they will go, however, as Antonio Brown is supposed to be moving into Wallace's spot.

Any new WR will have to be able to play that slot WR, cross-the-middle type role.

Forgetting the timed speeds & just looking at the pass-catching drills, one player stood out to Chadman- Tavarres King. He's a smooth runner & catches everything very fluidly. He seems very natural.
    Oh and I like Tavarres King as well but not before the 3rd round. His production on the field was only so-so. That has to mean something at some point.
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

Legend

User Info Menu

I'd look for one of the bigger WRs that can help in the RedZone. Although with Rainey gone, I could see a fit for a guy like Austin in Haley's system.

Legend

User Info Menu

i thought swope let the ball into his body too much in the gauntlet

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by winwithd View Post
    Marquise Goodwin's comparison to a current player is listed as Mike Wallace and I would think he is more of a day-2 guy, (Rnd 3 like Wallace?). I'd think the Raiders wouldn't pass on him 3 times though if he is still there.
    Al Davis is dead...that may not be the Raiders' MO anymore...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NJ-STEELER View Post
    i thought swope let the ball into his body too much in the gauntlet
    funny you should say that...

I just watched one of his highlight videos, and the thing I liked the most was that he caught everything with his hands, whether it was screens, crossing routes, or deep balls. He high pointed the ball and went up for on several plays too. It was a breath of fresh air to see a receiver doing those things after watching the Steelers last year.

I would absolutely like to see him taken in the 3rd if still around.

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub View Post
    Oh and I like Tavarres King as well but not before the 3rd round. His production on the field was only so-so. That has to mean something at some point.
    The following names [39?] are from the grid on footballsfuture.com. All the results are there. I just took a quick look and these few things stood out for me. 1. The top players mentioned a lot here did nothing to change their status much.[unlike the RB results] 2. I was really surprised at how many BIG wr's were there. Many of them had excellent numbers. 3. Swope and Stills looked better on paper than I would have thought. 4. At least a half dozen deserved a further look off their paper results. Josh Boyce, T. King, Darick Rogers, Marquess Wilson. Probably several others. Take a look. Should be some BIG wr's available in later rds.

Keenan Allen California
    Tavon Austin West Virginia
    Stedman Bailey West Virginia
    Alan Bonner Jacksonville St-Al
    Josh Boyce TCU
    Marlon Brown Georgia
    Marcus Davis Virginia Tech
    Aaron Dobson Marshall
    Corey Fuller Virginia Tech
    Tyrone Goard Eastern Kentucky
    Marquise Goodwin Texas
    Cobi Hamilton Arkansas
    Chris Harper Kansas State
    Mark Harrison Rutgers
    DeAndre Hopkins Clemson
    Justin Hunter Tennessee
    Darius Johnson SMU
    Brandon Kaufman Eastern Washington
    Tavarres King Georgia
    Alec Lemon Syracuse
    Aaron Mellette Elon
    TJ Moe Missouri
    Cordarrelle Patterson Tennessee
    Quinton Patton Louisiana Tech
    Denard Robinson Michigan
    Da’Rick Rogers Tennessee Tech
    Lanear Sampson Baylor
    Ace Sanders South Carolina
    Rodney Smith Florida State
    Ryan Spadola Lehigh
    Kenny Stills Oklahoma
    Ryan Swope Texas A&M
    Kenbrell Thompkins Cincinnati
    Conner Vernon Duke
    Markus Wheaton Oregon State
    Terrance Williams Baylor

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I want a receiver that runs routes well and catches the ball consistently, speed is secondary especially in Haley's offense. Now if we get a receiver that has all three its a plus.
    I would only pick a WR in round one who can do the above, a speed guy is only good if he has the other parts of his game in place.

As a group the Steelers had one of the best receiver corps before the fall off this past season, we have other positions that are important too.
    IF one of the top receivers is there when we select I would consider taking him but not over the BPA.

Example, Jarvis Jones, kenny Vacarro, and both Pattterson and Hopkins are there, who would you pick. I love players on the offensive side of the ball but it would be hard for me to pass up Jones in favor of a WR.