Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: good Timmons article.

Legend

User Info Menu

Willis was getting abused in coverage too this postseason. Gonzalez (I know, he abuses most MLB's) had a field day against Willis and it seemed like any TE he covered got the best of him.

Stat comparison between the 2 is pretty close. If this was Heath Miller or one of our other fan favorites the board would be livid with the NFL for ignoring his stats.

It's personal with most fans and they are indeed selling Timmon's short. When you think about all the positions he has learned the last few years to cover for injured players it really puts him in a special place. I'm just glad the FO doesn't think like we do half the time.
    Last edited by feltdizz; 02-13-2013 at 05:28 PM.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    So you are saying that Aldon Smith's success is just a by product of the talented players who have to be on the field with him?

Since Timmons has nowhere near the talent around him helping him that Smith has why do you hold Timmons to a different standard?
    I should have been more clear. When I said that "His bad stretch just happened to coincide with the playmakers on the defense being out" I was referring to Timmons, not Smith. It was my understanding that Aldon Smith had a shoulder injury of some sort, but I don't follow them closely enough.

As for Timmons, the bottom line is that he had an opportunity with Harrison and Polamalu out to step up and fill the void. He didn't take advantage of the opportunity.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    I should have been more clear. When I said that "His bad stretch just happened to coincide with the playmakers on the defense being out" I was referring to Timmons, not Smith. It was my understanding that Aldon Smith had a shoulder injury of some sort, but I don't follow them closely enough.

As for Timmons, the bottom line is that he had an opportunity with Harrison and Polamalu out to step up and fill the void. He didn't take advantage of the opportunity.
    Name one player in the NFL that excels on defense without the other 10 guys doing their jobs and playing sound. How did his role differ in these games when the Steelers were missing key pieces that Lebeau likes to utilize?

Aldon Smith started struggling when Smith went down with his injury. How come he gets a pass? He wasn't injured and he didn't "fill the void."

Timmons was the best player on our defense this year period along with Clark.

Timmons will always be a player fans either love or hate depending on how they felt on draft day about the pick.
    Last edited by BigRob; 02-14-2013 at 01:27 PM.
    Here comes the BOOM!

Legend

User Info Menu

Timmons is quiet, professional, does whatever the team asks (playing whatever position they need him in that day), never complains, is one of the top pure athletes on the D, and puts up good stats that are being recognized nationally by multiple sources. I'm glad he's a Steeler. He represents himself, the city, and the team well and is a much better player than given credit for because people believe him to be Tomlin's "pet pick".

Legend

User Info Menu

step up to fill the void when 2 stars where out? What kind of opportunity does a player have when 2 stars are out? He is supposed to put up numbers for all 3? Do their job and his?

C'mon.. that makes no sense at all and smells like hate that has aged like a fine wine. How many games did we get blown out by 20 when Harrison and Troy were out?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigRob View Post
    Aldon Smith started struggling when Smith went down with his injury. How come he gets a pass? He wasn't injured and he didn't "fill the void."
    Aldon Smith did have a shoulder issue.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    step up to fill the void when 2 stars where out? What kind of opportunity does a player have when 2 stars are out? He is supposed to put up numbers for all 3? Do their job and his?

C'mon.. that makes no sense at all and smells like hate that has aged like a fine wine. How many games did we get blown out by 20 when Harrison and Troy were out?
    He is supposed to be a star - he's certainly paid like one. And he comes up with 12 tackles and 1 pass defensed in 3 games? That is not a star caliber performance in the least. He doesn't need to do their jobs and his. But with 2 big playmakers out, the plays need to be made by somebody, don't they? And shouldn't a star player step into that void and make the plays?

If he needs James Harrison on the field to perform, then he isn't a star. He is a good complimentary player.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Aldon Smith did have a shoulder issue.
    Please, this is weak, who doesn't deal with some type of injury issue during a long season? His shoulder didn't keep him from producing, not having Justin Smith next to him was his biggest detriment.
    Here comes the BOOM!

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

He is supposed to be a star - he's certainly paid like one. And he comes up with 12 tackles and 1 pass defensed in 3 games? That is not a star caliber performance in the least. He doesn't need to do their jobs and his. But with 2 big playmakers out, the plays need to be made by somebody, don't they? And shouldn't a star player step into that void and make the plays?

If he needs James Harrison on the field to perform, then he isn't a star. He is a good complimentary player.
    You can take a slice of the season to try and prove your point. It's just false and poor statistical reasoning. Too many uncontrolled variables. It is pure speculation and confirmation bias.

Timmons was the best and most consistent defender all season along with Clark.

Haters gonna hate no matter what he does.

He impacted plenty of games this year and some will never get over him being selected 15th. Without Timmons, this defense would have completely collapsed this year.

He is an integral part on that side of the ball.
    Here comes the BOOM!

Legend

User Info Menu

Its much easier to isolate or avoid "the star" when 2 other stars are out.