Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: If the Steelers draft Warmack then.....

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    M.P.--a couple of years ago I was singing that song loud and clear too but I think the increased emphasis on passing over running and more passing on first down has changed that. You need better talent across the OL for pass protection against better pass rushers. Mid to late round guys rarely help now unless you get lucky.

I won't say we drafted bums because I don't think we have an adequete sample size of these guys staying healthy to say anything. But I don't think we can ignore the position just hoping all wil be well. If there is top OL talent at #17 we have to consider that for the long term and depth.
    By bums I just meant the Tony Hills of the world....like these dudes...

6 196 Keith Williams G Nebraska
    5 151 Chris Scott T Tennessee
    7 226 A.Q. Shipley C Penn State
    4 130 Tony Hills T Texas

5 156 Cameron Stephenson G Rutgers

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub View Post
    Wow..Eddie you beat me to it. I am watching the tape of today's practice (Senior Bowl), and Eric Fisher is a stud. He is the guy that the Steelers may have a shot at. Great feet. Good hands. Long arms. Bonafide NFL LT.

I was just about to post about him.
    Fishers a top ten pick. Lane Johnson would be the Tackle available at 17. I would take him as well.
    Here comes the BOOM!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I dont think we know that fisher is a top 10 pick. Coming from central michigan is going to push him down a little.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    Which player do we NOT resign when the time comes for their second contract?

DeCastro
    Pouncey
    Warmack

If DeCastro and Warmack perform like we expect, I guarantee we won't be able to keep all three especially considering their 2nd contracts will be huge and we can't allocate all that money to just the o-line (2 being G)

Additionally, how can you wrap up all that money in two guards and a center without including a high-priced position like T (especially LT).
    If those guys all pan out and you have to pay the tackles, the offensive line will take up far more of the salary cap then is feasible. A more realistic approach is resigning Foster to a reasonable deal or signing a mid-level free agent or drafting a mid-round guard. At OT, I'd prefer to see Max return, but if he doesn't, the Steelers absolutely need to add depth at OT.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    If those guys all pan out and you have to pay the tackles, the offensive line will take up far more of the salary cap then is feasible. A more realistic approach is resigning Foster to a reasonable deal or signing a mid-level free agent or drafting a mid-round guard. At OT, I'd prefer to see Max return, but if he doesn't, the Steelers absolutely need to add depth at OT.
    That is a good problem to have. If you have multiple good one you have trade bait or just let the one you don't want walk. You aren't forced to keep them all in the long term but we want options in the short term because we still have lots of unknowns. More and better talent is never a bad problem to have.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

You guys are killing me with this OL draft talk. Warmack won't change our OL. We have the guys on our team already it's just getting them to lose weight, get stronger and avoid the Gilbert injury bug. A rookie isn't going to come in and change this OL... same thing said about Warmack was said about DD.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Spaghetti View Post
    I dont think we know that fisher is a top 10 pick. Coming from central michigan is going to push him down a little.
    Bet on it. Fisher will be gone in the first 10 picks. Teams know they missed on Joe Staley and won't make the same mistake twice.
    Here comes the BOOM!

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    You guys are killing me with this OL draft talk. Warmack won't change our OL. We have the guys on our team already it's just getting them to lose weight, get stronger and avoid the Gilbert injury bug. A rookie isn't going to come in and change this OL... same thing said about Warmack was said about DD.
    Different players. DD was athletic and could be a very good center. Warmack is the next guard with a combination of athletic ability, power, and will destroy everyone from day one.

All that being said....the Steelers are not taking him.

Not so sure why everyone is in love with our average players on the o-line.
    Here comes the BOOM!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigRob View Post
    Bet on it. Fisher will be gone in the first 10 picks. Teams know they missed on Joe Staley and won't make the same mistake twice.
    hey, I'm not saying he won't, you seem to know more about the college game than I do. I'm just saying we don't know for sure he will go top 10 as you stated earlier. I bet he is gone before we pick though.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I also don't think we know what we have in DD. Everyone here assumes he is going to many pro-bowls, but nobody knows that for certain. In the small sample size we have, he hasn't jumped off the screen in a great way. I think he will be fine, but lets not send him to canton just yet.