Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Defense, defense, defense...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Summers is a starter for the Bills...just saying
    http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w226/angryasian07/SIGNATURES/DOS2.jpg
    Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, hear the lamentations of their women.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NJ-STEELER View Post
    there's plenty of 4-3 teams that might give him a try inside.

and if im hood, im probably going to a team where i can show off my talents the best. try to set up a big contract

I agree. "Occupying blockers" does not play to Hood's strength's. If he goes to a 4-3 team that allows him to attack, he will do very well.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NJ-STEELER View Post
    when has our 3-4 succeeded without great talent?

i posted (a couple weeks back) that carolina's only high picks on D were last year's and this year's 1st rounders. and they were a physical defense near the top of the league
    While Greg Hardy was a 6th round pick, he is also a FA...let's see what the Panthers can do to keep him...

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Discipline of Steel View Post
    Summers is a starter for the Bills...just saying
    I would rather have the streaking "Frank the Tank" from Old School than Summers. He was horrible.
    1. C.J. Mosley LB Alabama
    2. Jordan Matthews WR Vanderbilt
    3. (comp) Philip Gaines CB Rice
    4. Arthur Lynch TE Georgia
    5. Ross Cockrell CB Duke
    5. (comp) Derrick Hopkins DT Virginia Tech
    6. Josh Mauro DE Stanford
    6. (comp) Shaquil Barrett OLB Colorado State
    7. Quincy Enunwa WR Nebraska

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    When the coaching staff put Heyward into the starting lineup, Ziggy Hood went to the bench. He only started again because of injury. I can't think of a clearer indication that they thought Keisel was performing better.

As for the comp pick formula, I know that signing your own does not factor into the formula. But if Hood leaves and signs elsewhere, that does become a factor in the formula. He could offset a signing; Keisel would not offset a signing.

Given his age, I think Keisel could be had for a veteran minimum contract. If not, then thank you for the memories and good luck elsewhere.

Finally, you don't need a high draft pick to replace Hood. Go with Keisel/Woods, and draft somebody like Brent Urban, DeAndre Coleman or Taylor Hart in the middle rounds. Or draft a NT and kick McClendon into the mix at LDE.
    Heyward is athletic. Keisel is still athletic and knows his way around this defense. Hood is not athletic. I'd keep Keisel around another year for a reasonable price, draft an athletic replacement for Keisel to share the spot and learn to defense. Hood can go and play elsewhere, maybe find another defense that suits his strengths. 3-4 does not fit for him.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    While Greg Hardy was a 6th round pick, he is also a FA...let's see what the Panthers can do to keep him...
    They will probably lose him.... but they drafted Star in the first and another DT in the 2nd last year. The word around town is franchise tag and try to trade him for picks.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DukieBoy View Post
    Heyward is athletic. Keisel is still athletic and knows his way around this defense. Hood is not athletic. I'd keep Keisel around another year for a reasonable price, draft an athletic replacement for Keisel to share the spot and learn to defense. Hood can go and play elsewhere, maybe find another defense that suits his strengths. 3-4 does not fit for him.
    agreed... and to add to this....even if they do not draft DE, keeping Keisel around another year would allow one of the guys on the roster a chance to rise to the top (ie Arnfelt, Woods, McClendon, etc) as his eventual replacement...without actually throwing them into the fire this year.
    Keisel is still a solid player, and rotating those guys in will allow them to develop..while keeping Keisel fresh by limiting his reps. Theres also a ton of value in keeping Keisel around as a mentor to the younger guys.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
    agreed... and to add to this....even if they do not draft DE, keeping Keisel around another year would allow one of the guys on the roster a chance to rise to the top (ie Arnfelt, Woods, McClendon, etc) as his eventual replacement...without actually throwing them into the fire this year.
    Keisel is still a solid player, and rotating those guys in will allow them to develop..while keeping Keisel fresh by limiting his reps. Theres also a ton of value in keeping Keisel around as a mentor to the younger guys.
    I keep hearing the idea of keeping these old vets around as mentors and guess what happens? 2 or 3 games in thats all they are because they are old and injured.

I would prefer he coached instead of using the mentor angle.. that way we can have 2 youngsters at DE learning from Keisel.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    I keep hearing the idea of keeping these old vets around as mentors and guess what happens? 2 or 3 games in thats all they are because they are old and injured.

I would prefer he coached instead of using the mentor angle.. that way we can have 2 youngsters at DE learning from Keisel.

In Keisel's case...the dude is still a baller...and I'd be willing to bet we'd get more than 2 or 3 games of production out of him next year...especially if he sees reduced reps. It all depends on what he is willing to sign for.
    I think you keep Keisel around as long as he is the best you have...and until someone beats him out.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
    In Keisel's case...the dude is still a baller...and I'd be willing to bet we'd get more than 2 or 3 games of production out of him next year...especially if he sees reduced reps. It all depends on what he is willing to sign for.
    I think you keep Keisel around as long as he is the best you have...and until someone beats him out.
    I agree. If he stays for a minimum contract then I think they should keep him. The guy is still one of the few Def Linemen on the team that can pressure the Qb
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"