Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 LastLast

Thread: Harrison's Agent Would Welcome Call from Steelers

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fezziwig View Post
    If Worilds was ready to start, why did the Steelers make Harrison an offer ? Have the Steelers given any interviews to FA linebackers this season ? I don't see the Steelers that comfortable with Worilds a this time. As I said before, I'm a bit torn with Harrison not comeing back but, be it Worilds or whomever that takes his spot, I'd like to know as soon as possible if the guy can handle the job.
    They made Harrison an offer because he had two years and signing bonus dollars in his pocket and the fact that they have no depth. Harrison still has value if you cut down on his snaps. With his release, the Steelers are an injury away from having Carter or Robinson or a rookie start. Not where they want to be. They wanted Butler to compete and add depth hence the 3 mil reported range. You would have seen decreased snaps for Harrison & increase snaps for Worilds if Harrison was retained. I think the Steelers are fine with the thought of Worilds getting his shot to prove he is capable. I think the Steelers are uncomfortable with the lack of depth and competition behind Worilds & Woodley. Woodley isn't exactly standing on thick ice after that 2012 season. They need someone to call on during the season if he doesn't respond. Putting all your hope on the current guys on the roster and 1 or 2 rookies isn't exactly smart football. I understand the process & urgency they are going through. It just leaves alot of questions until everything unfolds after the draft.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY View Post
    They made Harrison an offer because he had two years and signing bonus dollars in his pocket and the fact that they have no depth. Harrison still has value if you cut down on his snaps. With his release, the Steelers are an injury away from having Carter or Robinson or a rookie start. Not where they want to be. They wanted Butler to compete and add depth hence the 3 mil reported range. You would have seen decreased snaps for Harrison & increase snaps for Worilds if Harrison was retained. I think the Steelers are fine with the thought of Worilds getting his shot to prove he is capable. I think the Steelers are uncomfortable with the lack of depth and competition behind Worilds & Woodley. Woodley isn't exactly standing on thick ice after that 2012 season. They need someone to call on during the season if he doesn't respond. Putting all your hope on the current guys on the roster and 1 or 2 rookies isn't exactly smart football. I understand the process & urgency they are going through. It just leaves alot of questions until everything unfolds after the draft.
    great post! $$$$

if I were the Steelers I also would feel uneasy about the depth at OLB with Worilds and Woodley's injury histories...
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Bravo. An individual who remembers how it really was and applies rational thought. Refreshing.
    LOL. So only people that agree with you are able to apply rational thought.

Maybe you both missed the preseason games that myself and many others watched, that had people calling for James to start over Hagans or Foote. He stood out in preseason at both ILB and OLB.

I really hope you guys are right about Worilds. Maybe he will finally show the ability to beat an OT. I've seen him get to QBs unblocked and against RBs. And again, he looked average against scrubs in preseason games.

Another AS masterpiece.

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Harrison was definitely not unblockable last year or the year before. Hence his departure because he isn't going to get better.
    We were talking about the comparison of their early careers.

There's no arguing Harrison's decline the last 2 years. I just haven't seen anything that inspires confidence that Worilds is anything more than average as his replacement.

Another AS masterpiece.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I would feel uneasy about our safties. our corners, our tightends and the ever lovable offensive line in addition our aging and the youthful linebackers. What the heck, might as well throw the defensive line in the mix also.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by blacknblue80s View Post
    LOL. So only people that agree with you are able to apply rational thought.

Maybe you both missed the preseason games that myself and many others watched, that had people calling for James to start over Hagans or Foote. He stood out in preseason at both ILB and OLB.

I really hope you guys are right about Worilds. Maybe he will finally show the ability to beat an OT. I've seen him get to QBs unblocked and against RBs. And again, he looked average against scrubs in preseason games.
    I watched every pre, reg, & post season game since I was single digits. Nobody was calling for Harrison because of James Harrison early on. They were calling for an upgrade because Porter & Haggans put up 7 & 6 after coming off a combined 19.5 in the regular season in '05 SB win and then finishing 8-8. They had no intensions of giving Porter another contract or his 1 mil roster bonus and Porter wasn't going to play out his final year. Release Porter enter Harrison. Haggans has a 4 sack '07 while Harrison has 8.5 in his starting role. Some rookie named Woodley comes in on limited snaps and get 4 sacks in the regular season while notching 2 in 1 post season game spelling Haggans. Haggans leaves via FA the following year. That is what got us to 2012.

The only players that stood out in that time period at LB from the reserve role were Woodley & Timmons. The staff injected them on the field to take reps from Haggans & Foote because their talent had to get on the field. They pushed the vets out the door. Harrison & Worilds shared a different situation. They both were two back-up OLBs sitting behind aging high priced vets who showed enough promise in their limited snaps to warrant a shot at starting. That gave/gives the Steelers flexibilty with the vet and his future/current contract situation. The Harrison-Porter swap turned out great for the Steelers. We can only hope the Harrison-Worilds does the same. To be honest, I feel exactly the same way I did when Porter was released....Upset but cautiously optimistic.

Legend

User Info Menu

I watched every pre, reg, & post season game since I was single digits. Nobody was calling for Harrison because of James Harrison early on. They were calling for an upgrade because Porter & Haggans put up 7 & 6 after coming off a combined 19.5 in the regular season in '05 SB win and then finishing 8-8. They had no intensions of giving Porter another contract or his 1 mil roster bonus and Porter wasn't going to play out his final year. Release Porter enter Harrison. Haggans has a 4 sack '07 while Harrison has 8.5 in his starting role. Some rookie named Woodley comes in on limited snaps and get 4 sacks in the regular season while notching 2 in 1 post season game spelling Haggans. Haggans leaves via FA the following year. That is what got us to 2012.

The only players that stood out in that time period at LB from the reserve role were Woodley & Timmons. The staff injected them on the field to take reps from Haggans & Foote because their talent had to get on the field. They pushed the vets out the door. Harrison & Worilds shared a different situation. They both were two back-up OLBs sitting behind aging high priced vets who showed enough promise in their limited snaps to warrant a shot at starting. That gave/gives the Steelers flexibilty with the vet and his future/current contract situation. The Harrison-Porter swap turned out great for the Steelers. We can only hope the Harrison-Worilds does the same. To be honest, I feel exactly the same way I did when Porter was released....Upset but cautiously optimistic.
    I agree. I feel the same way as you.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

I must be missing something about the Steeler defense last year and maybe those who know the X's and O's can help me out or correct my misremembering.

Early in the season (first 4 games, maybe 5), Polamalu and Harrison are on the sideline or just coming back and the run defense is getting gashed pretty good. Harrison starts playing and they are still getting it handed to them for a few games, Polamalu re-injures calf muscle and is now out until week 11 or 12. Harrison continues to play, Woodley is dinged and/or ineffective, but as the games go on the run defense is becoming more stout. When Polamalu returns with 3 or 4 games to go the defense as a whole becomes the dominant unit and is turning in performances that keep them in games.

I'm sure I missed a few things here and there, but for the most part that's it, the D-line was healthy, Timmons and Foote were healthy, Ike was healthy until the 15th game and Lewis and Clark were playing really good football. The twio differences are Harrison and Polamalu are now healthy. I guess Im not seeing this steep decline in the play of Harrison that many see. If Harrison's play declined to the point that he can't get a job, then what was the difference in the defense form the beginning of the year to the end?

Pappy

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    I must be missing something about the Steeler defense last year and maybe those who know the X's and O's can help me out or correct my misremembering.

Early in the season (first 4 games, maybe 5), Polamalu and Harrison are on the sideline or just coming back and the run defense is getting gashed pretty good. Harrison starts playing and they are still getting it handed to them for a few games, Polamalu re-injures calf muscle and is now out until week 11 or 12. Harrison continues to play, Woodley is dinged and/or ineffective, but as the games go on the run defense is becoming more stout. When Polamalu returns with 3 or 4 games to go the defense as a whole becomes the dominant unit and is turning in performances that keep them in games.

I'm sure I missed a few things here and there, but for the most part that's it, the D-line was healthy, Timmons and Foote were healthy, Ike was healthy until the 15th game and Lewis and Clark were playing really good football. The twio differences are Harrison and Polamalu are now healthy. I guess Im not seeing this steep decline in the play of Harrison that many see. If Harrison's play declined to the point that he can't get a job, then what was the difference in the defense form the beginning of the year to the end?

Pappy

First six games of the season the Steelers were 3-3 and the last six they were 2-4. Guess I don't see what a difference maker Harrison was those last six games that everyone cites as evidence he was "coming on." The fact is that Harrison hasn't been a difference maker for two seasons now and the Steelers were right not to hope he was this year for millions of dollars more than he should get.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Starter

User Info Menu

I was actually talking about preseasons between 2004 and 2006. It was just myself and a few other posters over at the Trib board calling for James to start over Foote and or Hagans. I'm surprised he didn't make an impression on you too. He was a beast playing at ILB in particular but also some at OLB. He dominated lesser competition and I just didn't see that from Worilds.

I'm trying to be optimistic but despite Worilds stats he just hasn't been impressive to me. I am feeling a bit better after reading yours and Oviedo's posts though.

Another AS masterpiece.