Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Eying the draft

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    When I look at this team, we still have the same 2 needs this year that we have had for the last several years.

1. Pressuring the QB
    2. Scoring/RedZone Production

I want my first round pick to address one of those 2 needs or just be BPA when we pick. To pressure the QB, you either need better coverage or a better pass rush. I'd consider the best DB or NT.

To help scoring, we should be looking at another TE to compliment Heath. I've wanted us to think about this since we drafted Heath. Now that Haley's using Heath, maybe someone inside the organization will start to consider going this route.
    NT in our system doesn't help with pressuring the QB. I would get an outside pass rusher and hope it doesn't take two years for him to get onto the field.

I would also consider the best TE if he is on the board; Ertz (sp?) from Stanford would be a great compliment to Heath.

Anyone else think we still may need another OT? How long can "The Savior" Starks go?

Extremely deep draft at the Saftey position. We could probably go Round 2 and 3 or 2 and 4 and get two very good players.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Reid has struggled this year, but has shown a lot of skills. I wouldnt take him in the 1st at all with the talent coming out. In fact Texas' Vaccaro is the best S out there. He's good in run support and good in Pass coverage. I'd take him all day long over Reid, who needs top notch talent around him to play top notch.
    2019 Mock

1. ILB
    2. CB
    3. ILB
    4. S
    5. CB
    6. ILB
    7. S

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

When I look at this team, we still have the same 2 needs this year that we have had for the last several years.

1. Pressuring the QB
    2. Scoring/RedZone Production

I want my first round pick to address one of those 2 needs or just be BPA when we pick. To pressure the QB, you either need better coverage or a better pass rush. I'd consider the best DB or NT.

To help scoring, we should be looking at another TE to compliment Heath. I've wanted us to think about this since we drafted Heath. Now that Haley's using Heath, maybe someone inside the organization will start to consider going this route.
    They like that 7th round pick TE, Pauslon. I don't think our redzone scoring is weak from the players as much as the plays called. I really think it will eventually improve with Haley. Plus we have a real FB now.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    I disagree... the passing attacks in the SEC are horrible. if we are talking run support I agree... but coverage? NAH... I have to look and the individual over conference reputation.
    You are right, the SEC isn't really a strong passing league. Some, like FL, are downright pathetic at passing the ball. But if you want big, fast, terrors on D, they got that.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SidSmythe View Post
    I say we go backup QB
    In the later rounds, for sure. I know you were kidding, but we desperately need a young back up QB. Should have kept one this year, although Charlie was awesome last week.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    NT in our system doesn't help with pressuring the QB.
    I think it's the most important position for the pass rush. If you have a dominant NT that can drive the C/G deep in the pocket, there's no room for the QB to step up to avoid pressure. This helps the edge guys get to the QB deeper in the pocket and harder for the tackles to run them out of the play.

Plus the more dominant the NT, the more help the C needs which frees up the ends and OLBs.

It's not a coincidence the Steelers pressure decreased in line with Casey's play.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lloydroid View Post
    They like that 7th round pick TE, Pauslon. I don't think our redzone scoring is weak from the players as much as the plays called. I really think it will eventually improve with Haley. Plus we have a real FB now.
    I think they like him too, so I doubt we'd grab a TE. But Miller is getting older and NE has proven how difficult 2 great TEs can be when they're on the field together.

I'm still not sure why we can't score in the RedZone. I think it's a combination of things - players, play calling, and Ben. And the latter may be the hardest to overcome. As good as Ben is, his flaws are more evident in the RedZone. I think it's a combination of his decision making and risk taking and he doesn't have the room for error on the short field. I'd like to see Haley take more shots at the endzone once we reach the 40 or 35.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

great points flip.

safety has to be one of the first two picks, IMO.

Starter

User Info Menu

I think it's the most important position for the pass rush. If you have a dominant NT that can drive the C/G deep in the pocket, there's no room for the QB to step up to avoid pressure. This helps the edge guys get to the QB deeper in the pocket and harder for the tackles to run them out of the play.

Plus the more dominant the NT, the more help the C needs which frees up the ends and OLBs.

It's not a coincidence the Steelers pressure decreased in line with Casey's play.
    I was going to say the same thing. With the uncertainty of Ta'amu and Hamptons age, getting a guy who can step in day 1 is a necessity. Plus this is a great year to get a NT of the future

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelCrazy View Post
    Reid has struggled this year
    that worries me, when a college safety struggles against college QBs, TEs and WRs how can he be expected to play well versus NFL caliber players?
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha