Page 27 of 28 FirstFirst ... 1725262728 LastLast

Thread: Louis Nix III

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY View Post
    I don't think nix is a Ngata or a Poe. He definitely doesn't command the double teams on tape that Hampton did either. Nix would improve the rushing defense in situational football...But I would also say you could get that player in this draft with less investment. If Nix was a 3 down player....I would pull the trigger. But he is coming off the field when the Steelers go nickel or dime. He will not push Heyward to the bench & he won't push Hood to the bench if he returns. He wouldn't push the fall back plan of Keisel to the bench either.
    I didnt see this before, but before you say this please watch some of Poes tape from memphis, he was not even able to dominate in the C-USA. He was not a good player, he had a ton of potential, was freakishly strong and fast but as far as his tape...easily some of the worst tape ive ever seen from a first round pick.

Nix, imo isnt one dimensional...not poes level as an athlete, but far superior to him as a football player at this stage.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    I didn't see this before, but before you say this please watch some of Poes tape from memphis, he was not even able to dominate in the C-USA. He was not a good player, he had a ton of potential, was freakishly strong and fast but as far as his tape...easily some of the worst tape ive ever seen from a first round pick.

Nix, imo isnt one dimensional...not poes level as an athlete, but far superior to him as a football player at this stage.
    First I will say...I did extensive research when Poe came out. I do every draft with many prospects. I was one on the Poe bandwagon in the 1st. If you knew me...You might know that. Since you are under 100 post I could only assume you are new & won't say you are a regular hiding under another created name. I saw what I need to see on tape & was hoping he would fall to the Steelers. Experts & perhaps 32 teams had a 1st round grade on Poe...KC had a high enough grade on him to take him 11th overall. If you say that was the worse you ever saw...Well that says you were off with your assessment. Speaks volumes against your "not a good player" tag.

Poe has done it in the NFL. Saying "but far superior to him as a football player at this stage" really hurts a persons intellect when you are trying to compare a college prospect to a distinguished NFL player. Right now...Poe would be "Far Superior" on every level because he has done it in the NFL. Nix is just a "projection". Nix could turn out to be great...He could be a bust. He has to do something in the NFL before you could crown him anything.

Nix will come off the field in subs. There is limited evidence to suggest otherwise in his college tape. Nix is a space eater with limited range. He's more Hampton than Poe. That's not a knock on the guy...That's just the animal he is. If you are looking for comparison...Ta’amu was a little better as a pass rusher. Ta'Amu showed a better motor on tape. There isn't a big separation between the 2 in pass rush. Nix plays with better leverage on tape against the run. Ta'Amu played more as a penetrator rather than staying engaged. This is the bigger difference between the two. Nix shows me more ability to anchor than I saw in Ta'Amu. If his knees are healthy...He should get pretty darn close to what Hampton gave us. But just like Hampton...Nix wears down late. That's the two sided sword. You are going to want to get him off the field in subs because you may need him late. So even if he shows a sniff of pass rush ability at the next level...You can find better options in sub. Keeping Nix fresh for the 4th will have to be the focus. If the Steelers are playing from behind...You will need Nix playing like he did coming out of the tunnel. You will have to keep his snap count down to keep him effective late in the game.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY View Post

First I will say...I did extensive research when Poe came out. I do every draft with many prospects. I was one on the Poe bandwagon in the 1st. If you knew me...You might know that. Since you are under 100 post I could only assume you are new & won't say you are a regular hiding under another created name. I saw what I need to see on tape & was hoping he would fall to the Steelers. Experts & perhaps 32 teams had a 1st round grade on Poe...KC had a high enough grade on him to take him 11th overall. If you say that was the worse you ever saw...Well that says you were off with your assessment. Speaks volumes against your "not a good player" tag.

Poe has done it in the NFL. Saying "but far superior to him as a football player at this stage" really hurts a persons intellect when you are trying to compare a college prospect to a distinguished NFL player. Right now...Poe would be "Far Superior" on every level because he has done it in the NFL. Nix is just a "projection". Nix could turn out to be great...He could be a bust. He has to do something in the NFL before you could crown him anything.

Nix will come off the field in subs. There is limited evidence to suggest otherwise in his college tape. Nix is a space eater with limited range. He's more Hampton than Poe. That's not a knock on the guy...That's just the animal he is. If you are looking for comparison...Ta’amu was a little better as a pass rusher. Ta'Amu showed a better motor on tape. There isn't a big separation between the 2 in pass rush. Nix plays with better leverage on tape against the run. Ta'Amu played more as a penetrator rather than staying engaged. This is the bigger difference between the two. Nix shows me more ability to anchor than I saw in Ta'Amu. If his knees are healthy...He should get pretty darn close to what Hampton gave us. But just like Hampton...Nix wears down late. That's the two sided sword. You are going to want to get him off the field in subs because you may need him late. So even if he shows a sniff of pass rush ability at the next level...You can find better options in sub. Keeping Nix fresh for the 4th will have to be the focus. If the Steelers are playing from behind...You will need Nix playing like he did coming out of the tunnel. You will have to keep his snap count down to keep him effective late in the game.
    At this stage in the draft process is what I meant, not at this level of football. I was a big Poe advocate, I would have loved him to fall to the steelers he was such a rare athlete I thought he could make up for his short arms and lack of production at Memphis. He was extremely raw, an extremly big, fast, and strong raw piece of clay though and that why he justified that 11th overall pick. He had horrible tape at memphis though, and memphis was an exceptionally bad team (which at the time i recognized) i was just commenting on your "He definitely doesnt command double teams on tape" comment. Basically whay i meant was just because that is the case doesnt mean they cant be used in a way that makes them wildly effective, but if you liked poe when he came out and see what hes become you know that.

I do not know you, I was just commenting on an earlier post as i was reading through the thread. My first post was my overall assessment of Nix and that post i quote preceded my first post. Had a lot of good debates about poe as a prospect, I do think Nix is the better football player now than poe was back then though (obviously poe turned out to be a stud in only his second year, but my analysis of him was spot on...lacked the dominance and production youd like to see at a smallish school, but had all the tools in the world).

If the steelers did take him I imagine he would have even seen the field yet, John Mitchell HATES raw players...hence the reason why Al Woods took 4 years to see the field

Legend

User Info Menu

The forgotten man in this debate is Nick Williams

[URL]http://www.steelers.com/team/roster/Nick-Williams/cbc84adf-f54b-43db-9b51-8e7b35f62915[/URL]

He was the kid they drafted in the 7th round last year. They knew he was raw but apparently had great athletic ability. Can't discount him from the Def Line discussion. With Woods, Arnfeldt and Williams we have some young Def Line talent that hopefully can be developed.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Id rather roll the dice on Nick Williams (maybe bring in Carriker or Alex Carrington) than resign hood

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post

[URL]http://www.steelers.com/team/roster/Nick-Williams/cbc84adf-f54b-43db-9b51-8e7b35f62915[/URL]

He was the kid they drafted in the 7th round last year. They knew he was raw but apparently had great athletic ability. Can't discount him from the Def Line discussion. With Woods, Arnfeldt and Williams we have some young Def Line talent that hopefully can be developed.
    With those 3 I don't see a need to draft a 5-tech this year unless a guy drops. I think a 2 gap NT should be what they look for starting in round 3
    1. CB – Marcus Peters – Washington – 6/190
    2. OG – Josue Matias – Florida State – 6-6/320
    3. OLB – Geneo Grissom – Oklahoma – 6-4/250
    4. DL – Ellis McCarthy – UCLA – 6-5/330
    5. TE – Jeff Heurman – Ohio State – 6-5/255
    6. FS – Adrian Amos – Penn State – 6/200
    7. DT – Terry Williams – East Carolina – 6-1/340

UDFA
    DB – Justin Cox – Mississippi St. – 6-2/190
    OLB – Davis Tull – Chattanooga – 6-2/242

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post

I agree about N. Williams and the other young talent.. Just looked Williams up on Youtube and watched some of his highlights. Looks like an athlete for sure.

Legend

User Info Menu

Al Woods is the guy to keep an eye on.
    Trolls are people too.

Legend

User Info Menu

Was Steve McLendon That Bad? And What About Louis Nix?

February 17, 2014 by Alan Robinson

Was Steve McLendon good, bad or in between?

And do the Steelers really need to upgrade at nose tackle after just one season of McLendon starting there — and with two more seasons left on his $7.25 million contract?

Of all the Steelers’ starters, McLendon is the most enigmatic, at least in the eyes of the multiple evaluation services that assess NFL players’ performances.

McLendon, in his first season replacing long-time starter and run game-stopper Casey Hampton, played 355 snaps last season, or only about one-third of all those by the Steelers defense.

McLendon was given a positive grade by Pro Football Focus both as an overall defender and as a run defender. He ranked 33rd among all NFL defensive tackles, and 25th against the run, by a service that grades every player on every play, much like a player’s own position coach would do.

For comparison’s sake, Hampton ranked 77th among the 85 most-used defensive tackles, and 37th against the run, in 2012. Hampton was not signed after that season and did not play in 2013.

However, in McLendon’s first season on the nose, the Steelers plummeted from second against the run in 2012, allowing 90.6 yards per game, to 21st, giving up 115.6 yards. In comparing him to others at his position, Pro Football Focus judges him as “average, a solid starter.”

McLendon’s move into the lineup wasn’t the only reason for the Steelers’ falloff, and the worst performance they’ve had against the run with Dick LeBeau as defensive coordinator.

They also missed linebacker James Harrison, who signed with the Bengals, safety Troy Polamalu was forced to play as an undersized inside linebacker at times following inside linebacker Larry Foote’s season-ending injury in Week 1; and first-round draft pick Jarvis Jones had an uneven rookie season at outside linebacker.

But, overall, the Steelers’ defensive line was better overall in 2013 than the season before; defensive end Cam Heyward became a playmaker and Brett Keisel was steady until getting injured late in the season. Ziggy Hood was about the same, but he yielded his spot — and quite a few snaps — to Heyward.

When I asked Steelers general manager Kevin Colbert about McLendon last week, here’s what he said:

“He did OK. He was OK,” Colbert said. “He fought through some injuries and gave us some good work. But, again, to say that anybody was good enough, including myself, when you’re 8-8, I think that’s a disservice to the organization.”

McLendon’s play is being judged more harshly by others. Football Outsiders calls nose tackle the Steelers’ greatest position of need, based on McLendon’s average tackle following a gain of 3.0 yards, the worst of any starting tackle in a 3-4 defense.

As multiple NFL analysts begin posting their mock drafts, quite a few are predicting the Steelers will take Notre Dame defensive tackle Louis Nix III with the 155h pick.

Such a pick would appear to be a reach for several reasons. One, Nix played only eight games for Notre Dame last season before needing surgery to repair a meniscus tear. Second, the Steelers would appear to have far greater needs at cornerback, safety, wide receiver and inside linebacker to take Nix — despite their struggles against the run.

With Ryan Clark likely leaving, the Steelers will be precariously thin at safety as Shamarko Thomas becomes a starter. And if Ike Taylor hasn’t already played his final game at cornerback — if he’s coming back, it’s almost certainly at a lower salary– he probably will in 2014. And that means another position that needs help in a hurry.

It’s also difficult to foresee the Steelers investing such an important pick on a defensive lineman after Colbert said that it’s their job to surround Ben Roethlisberger with weapons — and one of them, wide receiver Emmanuel Sanders, has been a virtual lock to leave via free agency since he failed to sign a multi-year contract last summer.

Nose tackle and run defense might be a concern, but the Steelers have far bigger ones in what is shaping up to be yet another crucial draft for a team that easily could go in either direction — back up the standings or further down them — in 2014.

[URL]http://blog.triblive.com/steel-mill/2014/02/17/was-steve-mclendon-that-bad-and-what-about-louis-nix/#ixzz2tiy0Ov96[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

My IT guy...
    Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

If the DL was better in 2013 it means we really need to pick Nix.