Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Based on Personnel, we should play a 4-3

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sick beats View Post
    As far as I know, Dick Leboo is still our DC and he won't ever change and go to a 4-3. As long as he is our DC we are stuck with a 3-4, regardless of whether our personnel fits it or not. And even though the entire league has figured out DL "zone blitz" scheme, the Steelers seem unaware of that fact.
    Now this sounds more like Ovi.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    The Steelers are talent deficient right now and until some of the younger guys really begin to play higher level football the scheme is irrelevant. Jarvis Jones was supposed to be plug and play in a 34 at OLB, not so much, Woodley had three good years, signs a big contract and then falls off the face of the earth, Heyward has taken 2-3 years to begin to look like a really good player, Hood hasn't materialized into what they hoped when he was drafted, Clark and Ike saw a precipitous drop in their play during the last 8 games of the season, Allen improved, the rest didn't get a whole lot of playing time.

The simple matter of fact, IMO, is that the Steelers need players to play better, maybe they're not capable, then its back to the drawing board, the Steelers have invested in defensive players, but the investments aren't paying off...yet.

No need to change the scheme, half the league plays a 34 and the other half plays a 43, both schemes have been figured out, the Steelers need better production and/or players.

Pappy
    I agree, it boils down to execution by the players.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chadman View Post
    Who told Ovi it was ok to have 2 accounts here?
    There is only one OVI. This is obviously a brilliant poster who can see the obvious too.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    you must be worried about that...
    You will never know

Molon labe

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

?We're not going to apologize for winning.?
    Mike Tomlin

American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hardesthittinglbever View Post
    The 3-4 scheme might be good for blitzing LB's off the corner, if you can find guys that can get there. But a 4-3 will help stop the run, collapse the pocket, hurry the qb, and still allow for a LB to blitz off the edge.

We have talented DL's, but they would be more effective in a 4-3. We have a couple talented LB's, but not so much that they can play the 4-3 scheme.

I think we would do well with Ziggy, McClendon, Fangupo, and Heyward as front four, with Jones, Worilds, and Timmons at LB.
    I'd blitz Worilds and Jones off the edges, and use Timmons to spy the other teams RB.
    If we can get a top CB in the draft, and the DB's continue to improve, we would be contenders.

A 3-4 works if you have a great edge rushing LB, and 3 goons who can collapse the pocket. Steelers don't have that personnel.
    Sorry, but that lineup sounds terrible. You are taking Worilds, who would be an undersized DE, and putting him as a 4-3 OLB, where he doesn't fit at all. You have no depth behind that front four and no real defense end. There is also no pass rush from that group outside of Heyward.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

our 3-4 personnel does NOT have a true 4-3 DE other than WOODLEY (maybe Worilds). Heyward, Hood & McClendon are all 3 Techniques
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SidSmythe View Post
    our 3-4 personnel does NOT have a true 4-3 DE other than WOODLEY (maybe Worilds). Heyward, Hood & McClendon are all 3 Techniques
    McLendon and especially Hood would be DT in the 4-3 not DE, you would also have Fangupo and Woods. Woodley and Worilds both played DE in college so its not like they couldn't do it again as part of a three or four man rotation, add to that Arnfeldt and Nick Williams (Could be DT or DE).

Clearly going to the 4-3 would require that pieces need to be added, but don't we also need to add pieces now just to stay with the 3-4? Isn't that why some are praying we use 90% of this draft on defense? The difference is we wouldn't have to draft 2 year conversions projects and hope they work out. That is the benefit of the 4-3. A more natural transition from college to the NFL because you are staying in position. That is how we could keep the pump primed versus continually missing on DE to OLB conversion projects.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SidSmythe View Post
    Heyward could be a 4-3 DE...

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    McLendon and especially Hood would be DT in the 4-3 not DE, you would also have Fangupo and Woods. Woodley and Worilds both played DE in college so its not like they couldn't do it again as part of a three or four man rotation, add to that Arnfeldt and Nick Williams (Could be DT or DE).

Clearly going to the 4-3 would require that pieces need to be added, but don't we also need to add pieces now just to stay with the 3-4? Isn't that why some are praying we use 90% of this draft on defense? The difference is we wouldn't have to draft 2 year conversions projects and hope they work out. That is the benefit of the 4-3. A more natural transition from college to the NFL because you are staying in position. That is how we could keep the pump primed versus continually missing on DE to OLB conversion projects.
    Except 4-3 players need to acclimate to the NFL as well....

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    Except 4-3 players need to acclimate to the NFL as well....
    Yup. Throughout the league, regardless of team, position, system or side of the ball, one constant that you see is that it generally takes rookies time to adjust to the NFL. Most young players don't excel until their third seasons.