Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Mendenhall Suspended

Administrator

User Info Menu

How about showing up to support your fellow teammates?

This is the equivalent to Cam Newton pouting on the bench when he was benched after a horrific day. And his fellow teammate (i.e. Steve Smith) didn't appreciate it and called him out on it. Smith's comments towards Cam would hold true in this scenario as well.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    How about showing up to support your fellow teammates?

This is the equivalent to Cam Newton pouting on the bench when he was benched after a horrific day. And his fellow teammate (i.e. Steve Smith) didn't appreciate it and called him out on it. Smith's comments towards Cam would hold true in this scenario as well.
    Excellent point. The first game on the sideline, Mendenhall seemed somewhat disengaged, but he could at least have the decency to show up.

He is paid to be part of the team and part of that is showing up. He's paid to be there.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by eniparadoxgma View Post
    There's obviously more to this than just the fumbles. Since his return from injury he has shown nothing at all. Suspend him and let him walk this year. It definitely doesn't seem as if we're losing anything.
    That's what I was going to say. Y'all are acting like it's all about the fumbles. That may be the impetus, but who knows what else there is involved--maybe the way he reacted, maybe actions that preceded it, maybe it's an attitude that has always be an issue...

Everyone else can call it petty, etc. But in the grand scheme (i.e. if Dwyer can stay healthy), who cares about his fumbling-in-the-Super-Bowl-@s$.

(And BTW lloydroid: Don't hurt yourself patting yourself on the back.)

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Disappointing. Sad, really. I imagine the background has more to it than will be known here. It's been an uncomfortable fit between the Steelers and Mendy. Hope he finds a better fit elsewhere.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelCrazy View Post
    Cant believe someone is calling it an action

Why should he show up when he is healthy and they do not dress him. That seems childish to me....not dressing your best back because he fumbled twice, all the while the rest of of your RB's did the same thing
    uhh, maybe it has something to do with the fact that the Steelers are paying him millions so he should be interested enough to follow team rules and show up as required, whether dressing or not.

Starter

User Info Menu

They have to set an example, for one thing. 1. Even if inactive, for home games, you are expected to be there. 2. If they let Mendy slide on this, then they are that anyone inactive is okay not to show up. Have to keep discipline.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by spyboots View Post
    They have to set an example, for one thing. 1. Even if inactive, for home games, you are expected to be there. 2. If they let Mendy slide on this, then they are that anyone inactive is okay not to show up. Have to keep discipline.
    Agreed exactly. The same guys here complaining about this suspension, are the ones complaining about the Steelers lacking focus, discipline, etc. Set rules, expect them to be followed, or move on to a team that doesn't care about rules (like the Raiders).

Legend

User Info Menu

Fine him 5,000 bucks, but dont suspend him. I really dont want the guy back next year (or Dwyer for that matter), but suspended for 1 game seems excessive to me. However its apparent I'm wrong.
    2019 Mock

1. ILB
    2. CB
    3. ILB
    4. S
    5. CB
    6. ILB
    7. S

Legend

User Info Menu

Maybe this is the move that lights a fire under these slackers butts.
    Mendy was a 1st round pick
    Mendy is in his contract year
    He needed to perform and failed to do so.
    Probably a lot more going on than we know about.
    Reminds me of Ricky Williams situation except Mendy is high on life

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chadman View Post
    There's a real feeling of pettiness this season in Pittsburgh- most notably in the reaction to Wallace not signing his contract offer, and then seeing Brown offered essentially mike's money in a "well, if you won't sign, we'll give it to this guy" kind of deal... and now having Mendenhall sit as a healthy inactive even though he wasn't the Lone Ranger in the fumbleathon.

Does he deserve suspension? Yeah, why not. He's gone next year. So is Wallace. But the treatment both have recieved from the FO has been really petty, and not overly proffesional.
    I disagree.

To say that the Steelers "gave Brown Mike's money" would imply that the Steelers had no other reason to sign Brown and only gave him a contract out of spite. I don't think that's accurate. I think that the Steelers wanted to keep Brown regardless of their situation with Wallace. If Wallace doesn't want to sgin a contract, why would they want to deal with their top 3 WR in free agency in 2013? Brown would have been a RFA along with Sanders and Wallace an UFA. By giving Brown a contract, you've dealt with 1/3 of the problem already. I don't think that's petty...

Mendenhall received a game check for Sunday and didn't show up to the stadium. They paid him for not coming to work. Why should they not recoup that loss? To accuse the Steelers of pettiness in this situation but eaving Mendenhall blameless doesn't make any sense to me...