Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CB Shaquille Richardson: 'I want to play against the best'

Legend

User Info Menu

CB Shaquille Richardson: 'I want to play against the best'

Richardson: 'I want to play against the best'

Teresa Varley
    Steelers.com

Rookie cornerback Shaquille Richardson is not afraid of a challenge.

If you want to be the best, you have to go against the best, and rookie cornerback Shaquille Richardson is getting to do that during the Steelers’ OTAs.

Richardson, a fifth-round draft pick, has had to cover Pro Bowl receiver Antonio Brown during OTAs, and it’s a challenge he loves.

“I want to play against the best,” said Richardson. “I am playing against Antonio out here. I am trying to work against him. He is a great receiver. I just try to go against the best players here and make plays.

“I talk to some of the other corners and some say they have been to other teams and Antonio is the most complete receiver that they have seen, speed, routes, intelligence, everything that you need. The first day that I tried to cover him I was like he is slick. He got away from me, but I am doing better.”

Richardson also loves having to defend quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, and even challenged himself to shine against him.

“I told him I was going to pick him off before the end of this is over,” said Richardson. “He said you might get me once before I leave out of here. We’ll see.”

Richardson also weighed in on the following topics:

On how things are going so far in OTAs: “It’s going great. I am having fun with the team, trying to make as many plays as we can.”

On how he is picking up the defense: “We put in a lot of plays but you start grouping plays together, where this play is like this play, so I have been picking it up pretty well.”

On what he thinks of the defense: “It’s super fun. When we add plays I am like man that is tight and I can’t wait to do that. When you see how it’s supposed to work and it works like that on the field, it’s so much fun as a defense to work together like that.”

On his impression of the defense: “It’s a fly around defense, make plays, be aggressive. Our fire zones are crazy. We get a lot of pressure on the quarterback and we just make plays.”

On if he is leaning on the veterans for help: “A lot. When I come off the field I talk to them about plays I’ve done, plays that they do or why they did something. Will Gay has been helping me out a lot, Robert Golden, Will Allen. Everybody is. I talk to everybody.”

[URL]http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Richardson-I-want-to-play-against-the-best/11ad9316-2aea-45c6-9373-878af848f26a[/URL]

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

"Now that's how you be great." - Santonio Holmes.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Now the question is: How did he do against him? Did he hold his own? I'd love to hit on a mid-round CB since Ike and Gay and Allen.

Starter

User Info Menu

I sure like everything this kid said.

Seems to have a good head and seems to want it.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Regardless of how he looks in shorts we are not going to know until the pads go on. IMHO cb is our weakest link. He'll be someone I'm going to be watching at Latrobe along with Blake (4.18 at Texas El Paso) I think the 40 there is only 39 yds. sorry poor attempt at humor. Blake is lightning but only 5'9".

Legend

User Info Menu

I like that he challenged Ben and told him he was going to get him once before it's over. I hope Ben picks on him, so he sees what its like playing corner in the NFL.

Pappy

1.20 - JC Latham, OT, Alabama
    2.51 - Xavier leggette, WR, South Carolina
    3.84 - Sedrick Van-Pran Granger, OC, Georgia
    3.98 - Andru Phillips, CB, Kentucky
    4.119 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

What was it that ended up making this kid a 5th round pick?
    I wasn't hired for my disposition.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shoe View Post
    What was it that ended up making this kid a 5th round pick?
    CBSHAQUILLE RICHARDSON ARIZONA PAC-12

DRAFTED BY: STEELERS ROUND5 PICK17 OVERALL157

OVERVIEW

2013: Started all 13 games. Second on team with 3 INTs. 2012: Played in 13 games, starting 11. Led team with 14 PBUs. Had 1 INT. 2011: Played in 10 games, starting all 10. Led team with 4 INTs. 2010: Played in 13 games, starting 3. Recorded 2 INTs at Washington State in first career start. High School: No. 26 CB nationally (Scout).

ANALYSIS

STRENGTHS Quick and agile and is aggressive jumping routes when he sees it. Can make spectacular plays look easy -- produced one of the most sensational highlight-reel plays of the season vs. Oregon when he acrobatically tipped the ball back into play to a teammate for an interception on the first play and closed the game with an interception of his own vs. Marcus Mariota to key a surprise upset. Outstanding pro day workout, posting a 4.43-second 40, 38 1/2-inch vertical jump and 6.95-second three-cone drill time, indicating good speed, agility and explosion.

WEAKNESSES Very lean build. Tends to squat on routes. Lacks eye discipline to sort out run-pass reads -- is late to locate the ball and support the run. Benched in 2012 for lapses in coverage and needs to become more consistent recognizing/supporting the run and securing open-field tackles. Marginal physicality. Character will invite close scrutiny -- was arrested on suspicion of felony theft as an incoming freshman and released from UCLA program.

BOTTOM LINE A lean, leggy, underdeveloped press corner who has shown big-time flashes but must prove more consistent in coverage, a greater willingness to tackle and more maturity than he demonstrated early in his career to be given an opportunity to compete.

[URL]http://www.nfl.com/draft/2014/profiles/shaquille-richardson?id=2543779[/URL]

Legend

User Info Menu

In other words, he's got a lot of potential, but he's raw and needs a lot of work.

Hope he fares better than last year's 5th-round CB selection.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    CBSHAQUILLE RICHARDSON ARIZONA PAC-12

DRAFTED BY: STEELERS ROUND5 PICK17 OVERALL157

OVERVIEW

2013: Started all 13 games. Second on team with 3 INTs. 2012: Played in 13 games, starting 11. Led team with 14 PBUs. Had 1 INT. 2011: Played in 10 games, starting all 10. Led team with 4 INTs. 2010: Played in 13 games, starting 3. Recorded 2 INTs at Washington State in first career start. High School: No. 26 CB nationally (Scout).

ANALYSIS

STRENGTHS Quick and agile and is aggressive jumping routes when he sees it. Can make spectacular plays look easy -- produced one of the most sensational highlight-reel plays of the season vs. Oregon when he acrobatically tipped the ball back into play to a teammate for an interception on the first play and closed the game with an interception of his own vs. Marcus Mariota to key a surprise upset. Outstanding pro day workout, posting a 4.43-second 40, 38 1/2-inch vertical jump and 6.95-second three-cone drill time, indicating good speed, agility and explosion.

WEAKNESSES Very lean build. Tends to squat on routes. Lacks eye discipline to sort out run-pass reads -- is late to locate the ball and support the run. Benched in 2012 for lapses in coverage and needs to become more consistent recognizing/supporting the run and securing open-field tackles. Marginal physicality. Character will invite close scrutiny -- was arrested on suspicion of felony theft as an incoming freshman and released from UCLA program.

BOTTOM LINE A lean, leggy, underdeveloped press corner who has shown big-time flashes but must prove more consistent in coverage, a greater willingness to tackle and more maturity than he demonstrated early in his career to be given an opportunity to compete.

[URL]http://www.nfl.com/draft/2014/profiles/shaquille-richardson?id=2543779[/URL]
    Describes the ideal late pick. 1st round talent, shows flashes of it in actual games (not JUST a track guy), love the "can make the spectacular look easy" quote. However, he has lapses, and does not get nuances (coachable weaknesses). Can get stronger, easy to do in your 20s.

Eager and hungry to learn, wants to take on the best, I really like this kind of late pick.

Potential quality number 2 corner starter in the 5th.
    Last edited by Captain Lemming; 06-06-2014 at 10:06 AM.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher