Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: What level of celebrations bother you by Steelers?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BradshawsHairdresser View Post
    No need to play the race card. It's not about "being like the white guy." It's about doing your job as a professional. That's what I want to see--I don't care what the player's skin color is. Walter Payton was one of my all-time favorite players...I don't remember him having to do these idiotic chicken dances or whatever you call them after he scored a touchdown. Do we really need some kind of celebration every time a guy makes a good tackle, or a first-down? It's supposed to be a team game, but so many of the antics we see are all about "look at me, look at me." I can see a spontaneous show of emotion when you've just made a crucial play...but this other crap just gets old with me.
    Yes a lot of players do need to celebrate, its good for business. Getting recognized and standing out makes the player recognizable and therefore marketable, which leads to endorsement deals. Not to mention its fun, this is entertainment, a show, a spectacle and players should ham it up out there. If my doctor celebrated after a successful surgery that would bother me, but if a young kid makes an athletic play during a game and does a little dance, as a competitor I can appreciate that.

Legend

User Info Menu

If my doctor completed a successful that cured an illness he or she could do the running man while beatboxing Purple Rain.
    Seriously tho..like Wizard said. Its entertainment. People pay for a show...watching robots isnt fun.

Legend

User Info Menu

Well, I can only speak for myself...I'm a fan that pays to watch professional football. Not a bunch of self-promoting crap. If I wanted to see dancing, I'd tune into "Dancing With the Stars."

But the way things are going, that's about all that the NFL will be before long...no more hitting, just a bunch of grown men gyrating and prancing around...to borrow from a famous Steeler of old, might as well start putting dresses on all of 'em.

Legend

User Info Menu

Well, I can only speak for myself...I'm a fan that pays to watch professional football. Not a bunch of self-promoting crap. If I wanted to see dancing, I'd tune into "Dancing With the Stars."

But the way things are going, that's about all that the NFL will be before long...no more hitting, just a bunch of grown men gyrating and prancing around...to borrow from a famous Steeler of old, might as well start putting dresses on all of 'em.
    Well... this is professional football. A game... its a freaking game. Unfortunately some people forget its a game and part of the game has entertainment and celebrations.

Tiger fist pumps after a nice shot
    Tennis stars scream like crazy when they swing and fist pump on nice shots
    Soccer players flop and do crazy things after goals
    Basketball players show out after a dunk
    Baseball players clear dugouts when a player hits a HR and shows up the pithcer

I say all this to remind you and others that professional football is a bunch of 20 year olds and a few 30 year olds who play a GAME.

You can always turn it off or turn to CSPAN.

Legend

User Info Menu

Well PROFESSIONAL football is about promoting ones self, endorsements and fame are all part of the professional part. The more famous a player is increases his value, not just for him but for the franchise and networks as well.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    If my doctor completed a successful that cured an illness he or she could do the running man while beatboxing Purple Rain.
    Seriously tho..like Wizard said. Its entertainment. People pay for a show...watching robots isnt fun.
    Lol, I kind of want a doctor who acts like "he has been there before", would make me feel better.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I think it's all about situational celebration. I enjoy the Antonio Brown end zone dance, but I'm not a fan of the commonplace first down ball point and drop. But I do enjoy the crucial first down ball point and drop. Not to say that every first down isn't important, but there are just some that are worth celebrating.
    [URL=http://s227.photobucket.com/user/AAFiorini/media/jigsignewplate_zpsgmcgfc1q.jpg.html]<a href=http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd207/AAFiorini/jigsignewplate_zpsgmcgfc1q.jpg target=_blank>http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/d...psgmcgfc1q.jpg</a>[/URL]

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

It's a team game. I'd favor team celebrations ....... except I think Goodell's people have made team celebrations an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty (or do I have that wrong?).

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    Well... this is professional football. A game... its a freaking game. Unfortunately some people forget its a game and part of the game has entertainment and celebrations.

Tiger fist pumps after a nice shot
    Tennis stars scream like crazy when they swing and fist pump on nice shots
    Soccer players flop and do crazy things after goals
    Basketball players show out after a dunk
    Baseball players clear dugouts when a player hits a HR and shows up the pithcer

I say all this to remind you and others that professional football is a bunch of 20 year olds and a few 30 year olds who play a GAME.

You can always turn it off or turn to CSPAN.
    I like to watch the GAME, just not all the extraneous garbage that goes with it these days.

I guess football wasn't entertaining 40 years ago, before anyone was performing pre-planned sack celebrations and doing first down antics?

I understand it's a game. And as I said, I'm not against spontaneous displays of emotion. But I could do without the constant showing off.

Do I expect it to change? Nah. Our whole society is growing more and more "me first." I don't expect football to get better in this regard. But I don't have to like it. Just as you don't have to like all the things the Commissioner or the league decides/does.

So because I dislike one aspect of what's going on in the NFL, I have to turn it off completely or watch something else? Come on.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.wizard View Post
    Well PROFESSIONAL football is about promoting ones self, endorsements and fame are all part of the professional part. The more famous a player is increases his value, not just for him but for the franchise and networks as well.
    Yeah, I guess I'm just too gullible to have swallowed that thing my coaches always told me about football being TEAM first. I understand that it's getting less and less that way, especially with the NFL. But as I said, I don't have to like it.

If you do, hey, by all means enjoy every first down drop and point, etc..

Perhaps in the not-too-distant future, they'll start awarding points to teams for celebrations. I can see it now: Team A nd Team B each score 4 touchdowns and 2 field goals, but Team B wins because they have 5 celebrations points to Team A's 4. (Whoops...I hope Goodell & Co. aren't reading this...)