Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How about Worilds?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelblood View Post
    I don't have a problem with Worilds. He is ok. But, his total of 3 sacks in 3 games is very misleading. 2 of Worilds sacks (in earlier games) came when he was schemed open on blitzes. He was unblocked on both.
    Exactly. I obviously want him to succeed, but nothing I've seen from watching him play makes me very excited. Adjepong needs to show he can a) stay healthy and b) be a difference maker. He has not shown that yet.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steelerphile View Post
    I knew there would be people who would make an issue about how he supposedly gets sacks unblocked, like he now should not get credit for them. That is a talent in itself. The good ones find the opportunity to come in unblocked and the not-so-good ones dont. Did you see Carter getting sacks unblocked? No Worilds reads those situations well. He sees that opening, delays just enough and then has a good burst so that he can get to the QB. That is a an attribute to be praised not to discredit him. Other LBs could find those if they were aware enough, but they don't.
    Worilds sacks are a legitimate stat. However, he was not beating a man to the QB on two of them. It was not his technique nor necessarily a "talent" but the play design (and corresponding offensive mis-step) that freed him up. This is not to say that he didn't do his job. He did, which is good. However, in general, Worilds is not providing regular pressure through his individual play. When Worilds (or any linemen or linebacker for that matter) starts pressuring the QB regularly without the aid of a stunt or a blitz, I'll be ecstatic about that player. Right now, our pass rush is pathetic. Without blitzes, we get no pressure on most plays. That really exposes our CBs.
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Worilds sacks are a legitimate stat. However, he was not beating a man to the QB on two of them. It was not his technique nor necessarily a "talent" but the play design (and corresponding offensive mis-step) that freed him up. This is not to say that he didn't do his job. He did, which is good. However, in general, Worilds is not providing regular pressure through his individual play. When Worilds (or any linemen or linebacker for that matter) starts pressuring the QB regularly without the aid of a stunt or a blitz, I'll be ecstatic about that player. Right now, our pass rush is pathetic. Without blitzes, we get no pressure on most plays. That really exposes our CBs.
    I think I will disagree with you. Why would it not be his "technique", That is your value judgement. Whether it was a play design or not is also speculative on your part, since you were not in on the call of the play. Recognition of an opportunity to get to the QB, is a "talent". It is more a talent from the mental side, a sense of how to set up that opportunity and how best to exploit it. All of sports is mostly mental. The best athletes use guile and their understanding of the game to get the most of a play. Sports is not all physical just beating someone across from the physical side. So I think Worilds shows a good grasp of how to exploit and opening, which I call a "talent" even if you don't. He gets to the QB and when he gets there, he doesn't miss or let the QB slip away and puts him down. That is something I think also is a talent.

I think Worilds probably still is being affected by the wrist injury. He didn't play the preseason. He very well might not be able to lift weights as much as he should. I don't think he is playing outstandingly. The defense overall isn't. But I think he is being as effective as any of their outside LBs have been, that includes Woodley, Harrison and especially Carter.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Giving Adrian Robinson some PT...now that's an idea.
    It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust & sweat & blood...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steelerphile View Post
    I think I will disagree with you. Why would it not be his "technique", That is your value judgement. Whether it was a play design or not is also speculative on your part, since you were not in on the call of the play. Recognition of an opportunity to get to the QB, is a "talent". It is more a talent from the mental side, a sense of how to set up that opportunity and how best to exploit it. All of sports is mostly mental. The best athletes use guile and their understanding of the game to get the most of a play. Sports is not all physical just beating someone across from the physical side. So I think Worilds shows a good grasp of how to exploit and opening, which I call a "talent" even if you don't. He gets to the QB and when he gets there, he doesn't miss or let the QB slip away and puts him down. That is something I think also is a talent.

I think Worilds probably still is being affected by the wrist injury. He didn't play the preseason. He very well might not be able to lift weights as much as he should. I don't think he is playing outstandingly. The defense overall isn't. But I think he is being as effective as any of their outside LBs have been, that includes Woodley, Harrison and especially Carter.
    Running free to the QB (unblocked) requires little to no pass rushing "technique." Claiming that his first two sacks were a good indicator of his talent is silly.

Again, I'm not saying Worilds doesn't posses talent or potential, only that two of his sacks were scheme related, not necessarily an indication of skill.
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

Legend

User Info Menu

Running free to the QB (unblocked) requires little to no pass rushing "technique." Claiming that his first two sacks were a good indicator of his talent is silly.

Again, I'm not saying Worilds doesn't posses talent or potential, only that two of his sacks were scheme related, not necessarily an indication of skill.
    If it is so easy why haven't we seen Woodley or Harrison do it? Are they never unblocked? Part of being unblocked is being in a position and reacting quick enough to make it impossible to block you. I think Worilds does that better than either Woodley or Harrison both of who seem to think the only rush technique is a bullrush through the OT.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

You are also ignoring that Worilds was the only OLB putting pressure on the QB Thursday. Harrison was a non-factor. Let's see what kind of year Worilds has before we throw dirt on him all of the way.