Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast

Thread: I thought this day would never come

Rookie

User Info Menu

They piss me off Feltdizz and they know how I feel. I don't hate them but I don't like what they do nor can I operate like they do. I'm not programmed to live my life that way. They have to look at themselves in the mirror not me. All I can do is live my life the best way I know how. Words like honor and code mean nothing to some and they never will.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
    I'll take big business over big government any day dizz...
    LOL, but you're crying because most of it's shut down

Rookie

User Info Menu

Sanantoniosteelers fan. You are very welcome. God bless you and yours as well. We will get through this mess.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BradshawsHairdresser View Post
    My response was poorly stated...I should have said, "Too bad your government seems to be working against you."

My job has been cut from full-time to part-time, and the biggest reason is Obamacare. My employer couldn't afford to pay for the insurance mandated by the ACA. Lots of others have, or will have, similar stories.
    You couldn't have been a very good employee. The penalty for not providing insurance is $2k a year -- or about $170 a month. If your employer decided to cut you down from 37 hours a week to 30 hours a week, then he figured you weren't doing enough to earn $170 in the 28 hours (7 hours per week, 4 weeks a month) that he reduced your time by.

If my employees were that bad, I'd fire them outright. I guess this law is helping separate the wheat from the chaff.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bostonsteeler View Post
    You couldn't have been a very good employee. The penalty for not providing insurance is $2k a year -- or about $170 a month. If your employer decided to cut you down from 37 hours a week to 30 hours a week, then he figured you weren't doing enough to earn $170 in the 28 hours (7 hours per week, 4 weeks a month) that he reduced your time by.

If my employees were that bad, I'd fire them outright. I guess this law is helping separate the wheat from the chaff.
    Damn shame when you crunch the numbers...

I believe PapaJohns said something similar and when they ran the numbers they could cover all cost by raising pizza prices by .25 to .50 cents.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Sorry to hear about your plight Big J. My brother was a team guy for many years. While I won't get into the mix with all the idiocy I see in these posts, I will say that I am more of your mind when it comes to ACA. Fortunately, I already have more than enough Steeler gear around and I don't need to buy any more. I still support the team even if I wish Dan Rooney wasn't tying the team to this crap. Like most of us, I wish we were just able to separate sports from politics and have some fun with it.

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    Damn shame when you crunch the numbers...

I believe PapaJohns said something similar and when they ran the numbers they could cover all cost by raising pizza prices by .25 to .50 cents.
    Funny you mention that, because last year PapaJohns offered a large pizza special for $8 a pizza. I saw the same deal this year for $10 a pizza... And I believe that Subway is another company that cried about paying for healthcare. Did you notice the new commercials for the $4 lunch special? All they did was take the potato chips out of the combo meal and reintroduce it as some new great value for suckers to buy... LOL These companies make BILLIONS on the backs of their employees and can't pay living wages or "they will go out of business." What a joke...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bostonsteeler View Post

Wow. That's real big of you, knowing nothing about me or my situation. You speak pretty freely, but if you were on my end of the stick, I wonder if you would be so glib about it all.

As I understand it, it's not just the penalty, it's also the rising cost of the mandated insurance. Multiply that by enough employees, and it represents a significant cost. So the company made a decision to do away with most full-time employees.

BTW, I get consistently great reviews for my work. Fortunately, my wife has a good job, and I have picked up other PT work, so we're doing OK for now.

Legend

User Info Menu

Looks as though there are lots of others with a similar story:

September 21, 2013 by [URL="http://www.westernjournalism.com/author/guest-writer/"]Adrienne Erin[/URL]

It seems that every week or so, we discover a new casualty of the Obama administration’s healthcare law, known more popularly as Obamacare. Every week, there’s new evidence that the suite of healthcare laws is hurting or outright destroying portions of the industry, and indeed the nation, that it claims to be protecting.

The latest development in America’s march toward socialized medicine is a veritable landslide of claims from across the country from employees that have had their hours drastically cut and their health benefits packages gutted. This isn’t isolated to a particular industry, either; this is happening in a tragically diverse selection of industries.

There is overwhelming anecdotal evidence of this alarming trend, but let’s take a look at something a little more empirical. The Bureau of Labor Statistics has released data indicating that the ratio of full- to part-time jobs has essentially flipped this year, as compared to years past. Just one year ago, there were about six full-time jobs for every part-time job. This year, there is only one full-time job for every four part-time jobs.

Employers both large and small are beginning to feel the pressure that Obama’s health care law has caused in a variety of industries. The best known of the law’s many provisions is the employer mandate, which states that any business that employs 50 or more people must provide health care to those employees. Businesses that do not or cannot comply can face fines of up to $3,000 per year for each uninsured employee.

In order to cope with the penalties, employers such as Loren Goodridge (owner of 21 Subway restaurants) and St. PetersburgCollege have had to dramatically cut the hours of their employees.

Employees of Goodridge’s sandwich shops have seen their hours reduced to just 29 per week, which falls below the cutoff for full-time employment in many establishments. St. PetersburgCollege also has reduced the hours of 250 of its employees, confirming that they cannot afford to provide them with heath care.

Joseph Hansen, the president of the United Food and Commercial Workers Union, has added his voice to the many now decrying the employer mandate. Those in his camp originally backed the President’s legislation but have come to realize the danger that it represents not only for their industry, but for every other industry as well. Hansen confirms that the health care law will have a “tremendous impact as workers have their hours… and incomes reduced.”

If the president of a labor union has turned his back on Obama’s unpopular law, it’s safe to say there’s cause for alarm.
    This is only the latest example of how the Obama administration continues to be penny-wise and pound-foolish. In their exalted march toward what was billed as a fair, affordable, and universal health care system, they seem to have been largely ignorant of the larger repercussions that will last much longer than President Obama’s two terms in office. While there’s no denying the scope or severity of the collateral damage of this healthcare legislation, there’s also no way to tell just where it’s going to end.

Consider an eerily similar and basically perennial cause championed by the left: the minimum wage. There is quite simply no version of this country in which every employee in every position of employment can be paid a so-called “living wage” – not without significant blowback. By demanding that employers raise the wage of their employees to the proposed $10 per hour, the government will be guaranteeing layoffs and decreased hours on an unprecedented scale.

Further increases in the minimum wage, along with the employer mandate in Obamacare, are going to be devastating to a wide range of industries, causing employers to cut hours and lay off employees to account for the increased payroll burdens (a fact that seems to elude many in Washington.) Even worse, many left-wing voters seem to be willing to gladly follow their favored politicians into oblivion.

The minimum wage debate and the Obamacare debacle-in-progress confirm for good and all how fond the current administration is of leaping before they look. Frankly, both initiatives reek of pandering; after all, nobody really wants to vote against higher wages and “free” healthcare, right? The public was pulled in by the administration’s fairy tale version of the United States where the government can quite suddenly legislate equality into being.

Thankfully, most of America is beginning to realize that the fairy tale we were sold – once in 2008 and once in 2012 – was a lie.

Read more at [URL]http://www.westernjournalism.com/obamacare-fallout-continues-america-part-time-nation/#teiIU5kj1ZoIgBHh.99[/URL]

Legend

User Info Menu

See also:
    [URL]http://news.investors.com/091913-671677-obamacare-mandate-behind-301-employers-cutting-hours-jobs.htm?ven=djcp&src=aurlabo[/URL]
    [URL]http://www.forbes.com/sites/richardsalsman/2013/08/13/obamacare-will-foster-a-part-time-jobs-bonanza-for-our-limp-economy/[/URL]