Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Is the March Massacre coming to the Steelers ?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I know it is not the 'Steeler Way', but would Keisel or Ike have trade value for draft picks? If trading Ike allows us to sign Lewis I would do it. We have Heyward to take Keisels spot. If we could land a 3rd or 4th for each I would do it.
    @_Hellgrammite

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh View Post
    I know it is not the 'Steeler Way', but would Keisel or Ike have trade value for draft picks? If trading Ike allows us to sign Lewis I would do it. We have Heyward to take Keisels spot. If we could land a 3rd or 4th for each I would do it.
    I wouldn't trade Keisel, heck, he's our best D-lineman, but I would give it a shot with Ike Taylor. All the Steelers have to do is call Denver who would be open to a trade like that. Bailey got hammered when the Rats played them, so I'm sure they want immediate help.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

If we lose Troy, Deebo, Foote, Ike, Lewis and Casey we better hope the O can put up 35 a game or we will be trying to keep up with the Browns to stay out of the division cellar.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sugar View Post
    If we lose Troy, Deebo, Foote, Ike, Lewis and Casey we better hope the O can put up 35 a game or we will be trying to keep up with the Browns to stay out of the division cellar.
    Having those players this past season resulted in 8 losses and no play offs. Its not like they were what put us over the top.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

What I haven't seen listed anywhere is the marginal cost of keeping each of the players in question. A guy's specific cap hit seems less important than how much his cap hit would be reduced if we cut him. The guaranteed money is already spent (in a sense).
    In response to his pleas, an officer said: "You think we've never arrested somebody that's made national media? ... We deal with the Bengals all the time."

[url="http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3880848"]http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3880848[/url]

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Having those players this past season resulted in 8 losses and no play offs. Its not like they were what put us over the top.
    However, they might be what kept us off the bottom...

You want to tell me that defense shares in 8 losses...but, I disagree...

I can think of two losses where the defense did not allow a TD...

I can think of another where the offense turned the ball over 8 times and the defense scored a TD...

There is no doubt that the defense had some bad games, but, overall, they were not the problem...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by snarky View Post
    What I haven't seen listed anywhere is the marginal cost of keeping each of the players in question. A guy's specific cap hit seems less important than how much his cap hit would be reduced if we cut him. The guaranteed money is already spent (in a sense).
    You are absolutely correct.

Colon is a great example. Cutting him would save $1.2 million against the cap, but there is also the cost of a replacement. Figure 400k or so for a rookie making the minimum, and the cap savings there is not great.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    However, they might be what kept us off the bottom...

You want to tell me that defense shares in 8 losses...but, I disagree...

I can think of two losses where the defense did not allow a TD...

I can think of another where the offense turned the ball over 8 times and the defense scored a TD...

There is no doubt that the defense had some bad games, but, overall, they were not the problem...
    If we are missing the play offs, I could care less whether we are 8-8 or 4-12. Those players you list are part of our past not out our future. Let's get the "generation change" we need to make done, fix our cap situation and lay the groundwork for the next 5-7 years. Everyone you list is gone within two years so don't postpone the inevitable and hang on to them to maybe get one or two more wins, which BTW they couldn't do this year.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    If we are missing the play offs, I could care less whether we are 8-8 or 4-12. Those players you list are part of our past not out our future. Let's get the "generation change" we need to make done, fix our cap situation and lay the groundwork for the next 5-7 years. Everyone you list is gone within two years so don't postpone the inevitable and hang on to them to maybe get one or two more wins, which BTW they couldn't do this year.
    Did you actually enjoy any of the last decade of Steelers football? For as long as I've seen you post, dating back to the Trib days, you've wanted to scrap the defensive system and have complained non-stop about the defense and the older players. This during a time when the Steelers won 2 SBs and went to a third.

Younger is not always better. A great example is Ryan Clark and the safety from Syracuse - Anthony Smith I believe. Everybody assumed that Clark must be holding him back. Well, I'm pretty sure that he is now out of the league while Clark has been a mainstay on the defense.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Our defense isn't the problem, overall they were consistent over the last several years. Consider the injuries to Harrison,Woodley, Troy,Taylor, and even Clark missed a game and we still were near the top in defense.
    I expect our defense to be still top 10 this coming season, lets fix the real problem.....the offense.

My mock has 2 defensive positions in the first three rounds, I wouldn't be opposed to drafting the first three on offense cause we need some help there big time. 21 a game ain't doing it!