Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Pro Football Focus disagrees with you ****ers, says its not the LB'ers, agrees its DL

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigRob View Post
    So you disagree with PFF? I would say they are usually pretty spot on with their grading and are well respected. They have been universal in their disdain for Ziggy Hood as a 3-4 End and grade him consistently low.
    I believe what I said. The 3-4 zone blitz D-line isnt put into a position to make plays. What should we expect? As long as they are taking on their blocks and freeing up the LB's they are doing their jobs. And when LeBeau continues to drop his LB's into coverage you are asking 3 men to beat at least 5 men in pass rush. Odds are stacked against them in regards to making many splash plays. Do you know how many years it took Aaron Smith to become what he was at his best? More years than what Ziggy Hood has had.
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    You can continue to have blinders on, live in a dream world, and let PFT tell you something kind of BS. I prefer to watch every single game and re-watch most games and believe my own eyes.

My own eyes tell me that Foote is a stop gap and that Timmons is being outplayed by the stop gap. My own eyes tell me that... not just from the Oakland game but from watching Timmons throughout his career.
    You can feel free to disagree with PFF (Pro Football Focus), but there is no need to insult their integrity by referring to them as PFT (Pro Football Talk)...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub View Post
    I believe what I said. The 3-4 zone blitz D-line isnt put into a position to make plays. What should we expect? As long as they are taking on their blocks and freeing up the LB's they are doing their jobs. And when LeBeau continues to drop his LB's into coverage you are asking 3 men to beat at least 5 men in pass rush. Odds are stacked against them in regards to making many splash plays. Do you know how many years it took Aaron Smith to become what he was at his best? More years than what Ziggy Hood has had.
    Aaron Smith averaged 31 tackles and 12 assists over the first ten years of his career (I excluded the last three in which injuries kept him ion the bench more than on the field) and in year 2 he had 4 sacks, 28 tackles and 14 assists. He was productive the moment he was inserted as the starter. The reason everyone believes it took a long time is because it took a long time for the media (Pittsburgh's included) noticed that he was a great player. No one even knew he replaced Orpheus Roye in 2000, because the position isn't glamorous. Fans only started to realize the impact he had when he wasn't in games and opponents had some success running the football.

So, Aaron Smith was productive in his career long before Ziggy is going to be productive. At this point, if we stretch productivity to new limits and consider Hood productive right now it has taken him twice as long as Aaron Smith to be productive, which is about right, because Smith is/was twice the player that Hood is right now.

And, remember, I'm not sure we can call Hood productive right now, he may not be productive until next year.

Pappy

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    You can feel free to disagree with PFF (Pro Football Focus), but there is no need to insult their integrity by referring to them as PFT (Pro Football Talk)...
    damnit. I missed the details
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    damnit. I missed the details
    May be you shouldn't trust your lying eyes? Just saying

Here's the truth about the Steelers and the run versus the Raiders ala PFF and BTSC:

In fact, according to them, [URL="http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/16797/lawrence-timmons"]Lawrence Timmons[/URL], [URL="http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/16799/lamarr-woodley"]LaMarr Woodley[/URL], Chris Carter, and [URL="http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/1596/larry-foote"]Larry Foote[/URL] all played reasonably well, against the run in particular.

They tracked the quintuplets as having 12 stops and having missed only one tackle.

Outside of a [URL="http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/34385/darren-mcfadden"]Darren McFadden[/URL] 64-yard touchdown run in the first quarter, the [URL="http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/teams/oakland-raiders"]Raiders[/URL] only rushed for 55 yards on 20 carries - incidentally, only one more yard than the [URL="http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/teams/pittsburgh-steelers"]Steelers[/URL] rushed for on the same amount of carries.
    The big difference was McFadden's run, obviously, and while that can't be discounted in the grand scheme, the run defense was solid throughout the game.

The Mcfadden run was on the DL as much as the linebackers. Soo, maybe get some contacts?
    Last edited by BigRob; 09-27-2012 at 12:05 PM.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    Aaron Smith averaged 31 tackles and 12 assists over the first ten years of his career (I excluded the last three in which injuries kept him ion the bench more than on the field) and in year 2 he had 4 sacks, 28 tackles and 14 assists. He was productive the moment he was inserted as the starter. The reason everyone believes it took a long time is because it took a long time for the media (Pittsburgh's included) noticed that he was a great player. No one even knew he replaced Orpheus Roye in 2000, because the position isn't glamorous. Fans only started to realize the impact he had when he wasn't in games and opponents had some success running the football.

So, Aaron Smith was productive in his career long before Ziggy is going to be productive. At this point, if we stretch productivity to new limits and consider Hood productive right now it has taken him twice as long as Aaron Smith to be productive, which is about right, because Smith is/was twice the player that Hood is right now.

And, remember, I'm not sure we can call Hood productive right now, he may not be productive until next year.

Pappy
    Smith also had a very effective Hampton next to him. Hood doesn't have that and it no longer takes two men to control Hampton which means a Guard is free to help the OT with Hood.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Smith also had a very effective Hampton next to him. Hood doesn't have that and it no longer takes two men to control Hampton which means a Guard is free to help the OT with Hood.
    Even still, wouldn't you expect someone with his supposed strength/speed to blow up plays on occasion? Dee Dub made the point about the 3-4 and DL, which we all know. But you still have opportunity to distinguish yourself. You know how you do? By seeing a LB corp who always seems to be around the ball. It shows that you are correctly eating up blockers, for the LBs to flow. Do you see that with our current D?

What you see is holes, sometimes gaping, with maybe one guy running to the hole (i.e. not in position)... that's partly what makes people think our D is "old/slow". If he were exceling at his job, it would be tough to run on us. It was something I prided on watching our D. I haven't had that "pride" in a few years now TBH. (Looking back, it coincided with #91's demise.)

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Timmons came in to the league listed as being 6'1" and 234 lbs. I think those days are long gone. I also think the days of Timmons having the burst to put up 5-7 sacks, let alone do it as a part time player, are also gone.

Administrator

User Info Menu

My comment about Timmons isn't specific to the Raiders game.

It's an opinion of his run defense throughout his entire career.

Like many here have previous stated, his best year was when he split time w/ Foote. Why do you think that is?

Is it because he had Farrior... a true 3-4 ILB playing next to him. Absolutely, that helped.

Let's not forget one simple fact. Foote played the majority of the time on 1st down. On 1st down, we are typically in our 3-4 base defense. 1st down is typically a "running down". It's not a big coincidence that Foote (the superior run defender) replaced Timmons on running downs in in our base 3-4 defense.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Backup

User Info Menu

[/B]The Mcfadden run was on the DL as much as the linebackers. Soo, maybe get some contacts?[/QUOTE]

Also add "Mundane" Mundy to your list on that play...