Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Will the Steelers distance themselves from Franco Harris?

Legend

User Info Menu

Will the Steelers distance themselves from Franco Harris?

With the new report shedding light on the PSU cover up by senior official's how can Franco say this...

"A lot of people are taking it as gospel, that this is the truth. I don't think there's absolute truth to the Freeh Report. There's no way it can be unless you have [former president Graham Spanier, Curley and Schultz] as part of that. I've mentioned that for months now. I've been waiting for that part of it more than anything else," he said.

and expect Steeler fans to respect him? I know he is loyal to PSU but isn't this the main reason people are angry with the program? I wonder if the Steelers will distance themselves from him if he continues this denial of the obvious.

I'm more of a PITT fan but I root for PSU as well... still think this isn't a position one should be so public about given the info that is being released.

It sounds like Franco will always ask for more info or more evidence...
    Last edited by feltdizz; 07-14-2012 at 01:21 PM.

Legend

User Info Menu

Franco has always been a staunch supporter of Joe Paterno and he is entitled to his opinion. I don't happen to agree with Franco but still respect him for his loyalty...
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

If Goodell ran the NCAA, he would have closed down PSU by now.

I think everyone will distance themselves from PSU to a degree for a while. I think it crosses more than just football. I suspect companies will be less likely to hire a PSU grad just because they don't want to be associated with this scandal in any way.

Nothing can return the innocence back to those kids. And JoePa allowed Sandusky to win a coach of the year award after finding out about this. That's downright disgusting. This guy's legacy is done. How nice of him to die and leave his family to deal with this mess. What a knucklehead.

I guess this just proves you have to be a little crazy to get ahead of others in this world. Nice job JoePa.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    I suspect companies will be less likely to hire a PSU grad just because they don't want to be associated with this scandal in any way.
    Are companies less like to hire Catholics because there have been priest after priest after priest (not just one single former defense coordinator) who have sexually abused young boys, and they were just simply transferred to new (unknowing) parishes to continue their disgusting vile behavior with all new innocent children without prosecution of any kind?
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

The only people supporting JoePa at this point are either blind, stupid or family. Franco is clearly in the stupid category. At this point he looks like a complete moron. I'm embarrassed for him.

Legend

User Info Menu

Individuals are at fault for what happened at Penn State not the institution. To punish the current students, teacher and thousands of alumni is stupid
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Ovid.. that's the case with every college who gets the death penalty or a bad rep for athletic corruption.

I understand loyalty to PSU football but not to the people who were directly involved. I don't have any problem with Catholics in general but those who defend priest who hid the corruption are sick... and I think anyone defending the officials and JoePa are showing the public exactly how easy it is to put loyalty and corruption ahead of crimes against children

Legend

User Info Menu

Hasn't everyone involved in this fiasco been fired, retired, died, or in prison by now? I'm not following this really at all (I'm not reading the FBI guy's report because I don't need to make myself ill), but isn't there a new college president, a new athletic director, new coaches, new players, new everything at this point?
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    Are companies less like to hire Catholics because there have been priest after priest after priest (not just one single former defense coordinator) who have sexually abused young boys, and they were just simply transferred to new (unknowing) parishes to continue their disgusting vile behavior with all new innocent children without prosecution of any kind?

JoePa is like the Pope of Happy Valley.

This whole thing was swept under the rug. PSU is almost run like the Vatican. It's eerily similar.

If you had to list your religion on a job application, then probably Catholics would get discriminated against? Unfortunately for PSUers, they've got to list the degree and education on an application. And I suspect with people being people, someone would look at a resume from someone who went to PSU and would think ewww and might associate that person with child molestation. Unfair? Sure. Just suggesting it could happen.

There are employment laws that don't allow companies to discriminate. So clearly companies have discriminated for various reasons. People who went to PSU don't fall under a protected class, so I'm just guessing someone will discriminate against them.

The alumni don't have anything to do with the scandal, but they have given $208M last year. And $1.6B over the last 5 years. Why did they give all that money? A lot of it probably has to do with JoePa and the football program at PSU putting it on the map.

The Catholic church rakes in the tithes, so again, it's pretty similar stuff.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    Hasn't everyone involved in this fiasco been fired, retired, died, or in prison by now? I'm not following this really at all (I'm not reading the FBI guy's report because I don't need to make myself ill), but isn't there a new college president, a new athletic director, new coaches, new players, new everything at this point?
    I started reading some of the stuff when the news first broke, but had to stop. It got too graphic for me.

There are new people, but I'm not sure the people involved have been punished to the degree that you would expect for these types of violent acts. And even though there are new people, it just seems the program/school should take a massive hit for allowing this to happen.

But at the end of the day it's about the money and that's more important than doing the right thing.