Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Name two areas the Steelers must improve on the most for 2013

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Name two areas the Steelers must improve on the most for 2013

I would say pass rush and running game.

We couldn't run the ball effectively when we wanted to and most of the season our pass rush was MIA.
    Now take into account our two best OLB's were missing in many games and we didn't have them both on the field at the same time till at the end.

We only had two or three games out of the entire season where our run game played well, other than that they wern't very good.

I would like a strong OLB,ILB, too but I believe we need more help on the offense beside RB. we also could use a good TE, WR, and o-line help.
    I keep thinking of all the positions and the outcome of last season and it keeps coming up inability to score enough points , thats the problem folks, and its the main problem.

Look at the Ravens, their defense isn't as good like they use to be, but they did play excellent in the Pat game. They also gave up over 400 yrds, against the Colts but still won. The reason is their offense is coming together and Flacco is playing good.
    We are going to duplicate this season unless we get this offense working to score more points.

You average 21 points a game and you will be sitting at home for years......GET THIS DAMN OFFENSE IMPROVED and FAST!

Legend

User Info Menu

Offensive line and Pass rush.

Want to improve the running game and get the offense going then get more talent on the OL.

Want to improve the pass rush become more innovative, blitz more and quit rushing the predictable OLBs most of the time. Need to send pressure from multiple directions.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Lot of areas need improvement. On defense, the pass rush improving should lead to more mistakes and more turnovers. It would also be nice to see the DBs make more plays on passes.

On offense, everything needs to improve with the exception of Heath. The WRs need to play better. The running game obviously needs to improve.

The offensive line played well and even had a very good stretch. Tough when you're down to your third sting RT and backups all along the line. Beachum simply cannot be an option to start at LG, and more depth is needed there.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

It's amazing what our defense accomplished with no pass rush.
    I think a healthy Troy roaming around helps b/c it makes QBs think more when he's out there.
    I also think our DL is the weakest it's been in a long time.

As for our running game it comes down to the O-line. We saw vs. the Giants and Bungles what happens when you have good blocking up front.
    But i also partly blame our lack of continuity at the RB position.
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I agree with the OP. We simply need to score more, period. The D was plenty good enough to win, even in the post season. And our rushing game was simply pathetic, 26th in the NFL and a paltry 3.7 avg per rush. Just lame. And there are many things needed to make it better: OL play, a better RB and better play calling - all 3 are needed.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by supersteeler View Post
    The reason is their offense is coming together and Flacco is playing good.
    I disagree that Flacco is playing good, and that leads me to the area that I believe we need to improve. If you watch the way the Ravens have been playing on offense, Flacco is putting the ball up and his receivers have been making plays. He has two big, strong wide outs that have been going up and getting the ball and making the corners look like amateurs.

I think that this could be the future of offense in the NFL. Protect the QB and give him time. Allow the receiver an opportunity to use his body control and fight for the ball. The receiver has the advantage as far as rules go so let him have at it. As far as CBs go, it is no longer good enough to run with the receiver. You must also physically out battle him for the ball, and you are being scrutinized a lot closer in how you do it.

So that brings us back to the original question. Find big strong receivers. Boldin and Smith are ideal for today's game. You cannot go with a nucleus of Wallace, Brown, and Sanders at WR.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post
    I disagree that Flacco is playing good, and that leads me to the area that I believe we need to improve. If you watch the way the Ravens have been playing on offense, Flacco is putting the ball up and his receivers have been making plays. He has two big, strong wide outs that have been going up and getting the ball and making the corners look like amateurs.

I think that this could be the future of offense in the NFL. Protect the QB and give him time. Allow the receiver an opportunity to use his body control and fight for the ball. The receiver has the advantage as far as rules go so let him have at it. As far as CBs go, it is no longer good enough to run with the receiver. You must also physically out battle him for the ball, and you are being scrutinized a lot closer in how you do it.

So that brings us back to the original question. Find big strong receivers. Boldin and Smith are ideal for today's game. You cannot go with a nucleus of Wallace, Brown, and Sanders at WR.
    Actually, the correct phrasing would be "I don't think Flacco is playing 'well.'" Any who, I know he actually is playing well - his #s in the post season all support that assertion. And, there isn't any ONE way to form an effective WR unit; the league has vacillated between small speedy guys and bigger WRs. Either style can work. Back in the day Marino had small fast guys, as did Warren Moon. You just have to use them differently than when you have big dudes. You have to find open space and let your speedy guys get there. With bigger dudes, you can throw into coverage and they still make the play. I would take a Steve Smith in his prime any year on any team. He is small, but it doesn't matter - he balls and makes it work. But, the prototypical wide out these days are EJ Green, Julio Jones and Andre Johnson. No way does Mike Wallace get mentioned here; he is a one trick pony who can't catch when a DB has any contact with him. He is just a big wussy - no heart, no strength. No wonder we got him in the 3rd round.

Legend

User Info Menu

LOL... Flacco is in the SB. He's been to 3 AFCCG's and he outplayed Brady last year and if not for a dropped TD pass who knows. Even if all he did was throw hailmary's he's throwing them where the WR has a chance to make a play.

Our WR's are fine... the real problem is the running game and short routes our WR's are running. It's much easier to defend blazing fast speed when most of the passes are being made in front of you. Force DB's to chase our speedsters and watch them flourish.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    LOL... Flacco is in the SB. He's been to 3 AFCCG's and he outplayed Brady last year and if not for a dropped TD pass who knows. Even if all he did was throw hailmary's he's throwing them where the WR has a chance to make a play.

Our WR's are fine... the real problem is the running game and short routes our WR's are running. It's much easier to defend blazing fast speed when most of the passes are being made in front of you. Force DB's to chase our speedsters and watch them flourish.
    Our best, remaining passing attack is when Ben hits Brown in stride, in the middle of the field, allowing him to jack up the old YAC. With Wallace gone, I expect the attitudes to be much improved and that was half our problem.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

The 2 areas of improvement are the pass rush (should help get us more turnovers) and the offensive line play (should help both the run and pass game). I'm not sure that we have to draft another beast to improve the offensive line. I think if we keep the guys we currently have and get them to stay healthy so they can play together throughout the season we will see a marked improvement.
    As many on this site think ... The Rooney's suck, Colbert sucks, Tomlin sucks, the coaches suck, and the players suck.

but Go Steelers!!!