Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Is the March Massacre coming to the Steelers ?

Legend

User Info Menu

The Steelers went all in to try and win another Super Bowl and along the way injuries began to become an issue with the players that were being relied on the most, Troy, Harrison and Ben. Throw in Pouncey, DeCastro, Mendenhall, Colon, Adams and Gilbert and the the other teams drew a straight flush on the river to beat your 4 of a kind.

Now, with an 8-8 season in the rear view mirror the Steelers are in cap hell and getting out will not be easy. Harrison and Polamalu are not coming back at discounted rates, IMO, if cut (almost a certainty) they will either retire or sign a short term contract elsewhere, I just don't see either playing for the Steelers for peanuts just to be a Steeler, it would be nice, but unlikely.

I doubt that Ike and Lewis will be the starting corners, it is more likely that Taylor and Allen or Lewis and Allen will be the starters, but I don't see a stable of cornerbacks involving Taylor, Lewis and Allen being on the 2013 team.

Starks, Mendenhall and Wallace probably won't be wearing black and gold either, so our most consistent OL, best running back and best wide receiver will in all likelihood be departing as well.

Unless, some young guys (Worilds, Golden or journeyman Allen, Adams and/or Gilbert, DeCastro, Heyward, Hood) play to the potential that the Steelers saw when they drafted them look for another 8-8 season, IMO. Ben will be able to hold things together to a point, but winning more than 8 games without the young guys beginning to play above the line will make for a long year. The draft could bring a player or two that sees the field, but as we all know, it is rare that a rookie makes any kind of real impact.

All-in and outdrawn on the river, it happens, the odds were in the Steelers favor, its time to move on, I'm really going to miss some of these players, they visited the Super Bowl three times and brought home two Lombardis, it would have been nice for this season to play out better, but it didn't. Even if the year would have gone as hoped these players were going to have to be released, cut or take pay cuts anyhow.

Lets hope the young guys step up and start another generation of great Steeler football.

Pappy
    Last edited by papillon; 02-08-2013 at 09:14 AM.

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    The Steelers went all in to try and win another Super Bowl and along the way injuries began to become an issue with the players that were being relied on the most, Troy, Harrison and Ben. Throw in Pouncey, DeCastro, Mendenhall, Colon, Adams and Gilbert and the the other teams drew a straight flush on the river to beat your 4 of a kind.

Now, with an 8-8 season in the rear view mirror the Steelers are in cap hell and getting out will not be easy. Harrison and Polamalu are not coming back at discounted rates, IMO, if cut (almost a certainty) they will either retire or sign a short term contract elsewhere, I just don't see either playing for the Steelers for peanuts just to be a Steeler, it would be nice, but unlikely.

I doubt that Ike and Lewis will be the starting corners, it is more likely that Taylor and Allen or Lewis and Allen will be the starters, but I don't see a stable of cornerbacks involving Taylor, Lewis and Allen being on the 2013 team.

Starks, Mendenhall and Wallace probably won't be wearing black and gold either, so our most consistent OL, best running back and best wide receiver will in all likelihood be departing as well.

Unless, some young guys (Worilds, Golden or journeyman Allen, Adams and/or Gilbert, DeCastro, Heyward, Hood) play to the potential that the Steelers saw when they drafted them look for another 8-8 season, IMO. Ben will be able to hold things together to a point, but winning more than 8 games without the young guys beginning to play above the line will make for a long year. The draft could bring a player or two that sees the field, but as we all know, it is rare that a rookie makes any kind of real impact.

All-in and outdrawn on the river, it happens, the odds were in the Steelers favor, its time to move on, I'm really going to miss some of these players, they visited the Super Bowl three times and brought home two Lombardis, it would have been nice for this season to play out better, but it didn't. Even if the year would have gone as hoped these players were going to have to be released, cut or take pay cuts anyhow.

Lets hope the young guys step up and start another generation of great Steeler football.

Pappy
    Definitely time to move on. Need to complete the "generation change" we started last season.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Definitely time to move on. Need to complete the "generation change" we started last season.
    Unfortunately, the young guys that are part of this transition aren't close to being able to perform at the level of the player they are replacing, except possibly Lewis if the Steelers can find a way to keep him. His best friend is probably gone and he's a UFA, so he'll probably test the waters and he'll probably be offered silly money.

Pappy

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I think the Steelers tried to keep the core players intact as long as they could, as you said Pappy to win another Super Bowl.
    Now, changes have to be made. They can't rely on older vets anymore and have to turn the page to a younger football team, sometimes it works out and sometimes the process involves mixed results.

The hope is the 2nd and third year draft picks step up, add a rookie or two and groom the rest of draft picks for the near future.
    I look back to last season before the injuries and see our offense was doing pretty good, so a second year in haley's offense may produce good results provided we don't get the injury bug again.
    Finding a feature back, add a receiver, TE, and we might be better than expected.

On defense, if we can keep Lewis, we might still be pretty good. Harrison is expected to be gone, so we plug in Worlids, he's not James Harrison but the little time he played he did get 5 sacks. In the meantime we could draft another OLB to groom in case it doesn't work out with Worlids. The other position is ILB. Foote can still play and he want's to remain a Steeler so I believe they will work something out and give us a chance to groom the replacement for Foote.

Its not going to be doom and gloom people, I prefer to say the Steelers will make room to groom.
    The Steelers can still be a good football team, as we move forward I think everyone involved with the team will be very serious and focused to reverse last seasons record.

Go Pittsburgh

Legend

User Info Menu

Probably going over old ground here, but...

The Steelers can still continue their 'youth drive' by focussing on selecting starters from their younger players & draft picks, while signing older players to fill lesser roles.

Case in point- Brown & Sanders will be WR's 1 & 2, and the Steelers will most likely draft another WR, but the addition of a Plaxico Burress to round out the WR corps, on a vet minimum, doesn't hinder the youth development- it might even enhance it. So while the Steelers focus on getting younger starters, it might be a good time, both for roster, developmental & financial reasons, to include a number of aged vets.
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Darius Robinson DT
    2. Malachi Corley WR
    3. Mike Sainristil CB
    3. Beaux Limmer OC
    4. Jordan Travis QB
    6. Travis Glover OT
    7. Josh Proctor S

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chadman View Post
    Probably going over old ground here, but...

The Steelers can still continue their 'youth drive' by focussing on selecting starters from their younger players & draft picks, while signing older players to fill lesser roles.

Case in point- Brown & Sanders will be WR's 1 & 2, and the Steelers will most likely draft another WR, but the addition of a Plaxico Burress to round out the WR corps, on a vet minimum, doesn't hinder the youth development- it might even enhance it. So while the Steelers focus on getting younger starters, it might be a good time, both for roster, developmental & financial reasons, to include a number of aged vets.
    It would be easy to go with a youth movement, the trick is get young and be competitive. Brown and Sanders aren't as good as Wallace and Brown; Woodley, Foote and Worilds aren't as good as Woodley, Foote and Harrison; Lewis, Allen, Golden and Clark aren't as good as Taylor, Lewis, Polamalu and Clark; Dwyer and Remond aren't as good as Mendenhall and Dwyer. Getting youthful is easy, getting youthful and competitive is an entirely different animal.

Pappy

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    if he is unwilling to take a serious pay cut he won't be a Steeler next year.
    It's not only the money. It's also the fact that, after getting over the initial adjustment, the Steelers defense actually played quite well without Troy. To me, that is the most telling sign that the Steelers could be ready to move on with life without Troy.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Pappy
    Pappy, I agree with all of this. But you know what would be refreshing and fun? So the hell with it and become a young, hungry team, like the Seahawks. We may not be successful year 1 but if we ended up being a young and hungry team that contends in a few years, I'd take it. Anything is better than watching a team get old and over-priced across the board. With the young teams, you just don't see the injuries like we have (although much of the OL is young and still gets injured far too often, but that is being discussed in another thread.)

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    It's not only the money. It's also the fact that, after getting over the initial adjustment, the Steelers defense actually played quite well without Troy. To me, that is the most telling sign that the Steelers could be ready to move on with life without Troy.
    Totally agree. I love Troy, or at least the one of a few years ago. But there is nothing more depressing than seeing him in a T-shirt on the sidelines every week. Plus, Clark admitted then when TP limps off the field, the entire D gets depressed. Not any more. They proved they can play lights out D without him, so why pay his insane salary when it's likely he is going to get hurt again?

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

It would be easy to go with a youth movement, the trick is get young and be competitive. Brown and Sanders aren't as good as Wallace and Brown; Woodley, Foote and Worilds aren't as good as Woodley, Foote and Harrison; Lewis, Allen, Golden and Clark aren't as good as Taylor, Lewis, Polamalu and Clark; Dwyer and Remond aren't as good as Mendenhall and Dwyer. Getting youthful is easy, getting youthful and competitive is an entirely different animal.

Pappy
    No one is good every single year, although the Steelers come about as close to anyone at pulling that off. If we have a semi-down year to get younger, so be it. I think it will be fun seeing a bunch of young guys get after it, instead of old guys falling apart with injuries and a cap that is blown up. Just look at what Pete Carrol did in Seattle. I would love a team like that.