Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: The Truth!!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub View Post
    They are currently ranked 10th (25th in run defense), after playing the Titans and Bengals. Where would they be ranked if they had played the Broncos and Packers?

But...see what you want to see, I guess?
    I don't care about ranks. I watch. AJ Green was as shut down as you're gonna get. Two big plays were all the yards they had

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

You do not know your Steeler history all that well, do you? This too is not correct.

The last 4 years of Chuck Noll's career where 5-11, 9-7, 9-7, and 7-9. Bill Cowher inherited a bad football team that had 1 Pro Bowler on the roster.
    No you do not know the history here was Bill roster that he got from Noll
    [url]http://www.footballdb.com/teams/nfl/pittsburgh-steelers/roster/1991[/url]
    I made a glance and there are ten players who either made Pro Bowls / All Pro
    and at least Three Hall of famers. Now try again
    Last edited by Steelhere10; 09-18-2013 at 01:03 PM.
    [url=http://img525.imageshack.us/i/steelers2010.jpg/]http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/2...eelers2010.jpg[/url]

Legend

User Info Menu

They are currently ranked 10th (25th in run defense), after playing the Titans and Bengals. Where would they be ranked if they had played the Broncos and Packers?

But...see what you want to see, I guess?
    It's hard to have good stats on D when the offense has SEVEN 3 and outs and the other team runs 30 more plays...

I'm seeing a D that is tired and can't get any rest because the O has stats like ZERO yards in the 3rd quarter vs the Bengals.

Steelers have 75 yards rushing TOTAL in 2 games.. IN 2 GAMES.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

This just isn't a very good football team. And it starts from the top. The decision to bring in Haley as the coordinator, and ask Ben to fit what he does into Haley's system, was a huge mistake. I said it when Haley was hired...his lack of never playing any football at any level was going to be what it is. A major disconnect with the players he is coaching. The management of the Steelers made a huge mistake asking their franchise QB to change his style and fit what Haley runs. It was suppose to keep Ben healthy. To protect him. To get rid of the ball quicker. Well it hasn't worked. Ben is being hit just as much as he ever has. Then to think that this team could run the football behind a line that isn’t built to run the football is another mistake this management has made. Look at the line. They have 4 guys who are generally smaller than the guys they are trying to block. David DeCastro is getting abused. The only O-lineman with some size, is Foster. Adams, Gilbert, DeCastro, and even Pouncey are all built to pass block more so than run block. And they don’t even do that well.

Then to put all your marbles into a 2nd round RB (Bell), as if he is going to save your team is ridiculous.

This team has two play makers on the entire team. Troy Polamalu and Ben Roethlisberger. To get rid of Ben’s only playmaker ( Mike Wallace), was a mistake regardless of what Steeler fans thought of him. Antonio Brown and Emmanuel Sanders are decent receivers at best. Neither one of them are play makers. Neither one of them can find the end zone. And to continue to try and stretch the field with these two, when neither of them can get separation, is ridiculous. Why do they insist on throwing the deep pass to Antonio Brown? He cannot get the needed separation for that. Makes no sense.

Who’s idea was it for Cameron Heyward to lose weight? We get on players all the time for them showing up out of shape, why does Cameron Heyward get a break? He is not suppose to be a pass rusher. He is suppose to be a run stuffer/gap plugger. Now at his current weight, he isnt going to stuff anything. But it isn’t his fault. It is managements fault because their defensive coordinator has gotten so far away from the 3-4 zone blitz. LeBeau was quoted as saying he wanted more of a pass rush from his D-line this year. Why? That goes completely away from the whole 3-4 zone blitz scheme. He now wants a pass rush from the front 3 and his OLB drop into coverage more than they go after the QB. Look at last night’s game. Hardly any pass rush what so ever on Andy Dalton. And they couldn’t stop the run either. LeBeau, as great as he’s been, as fallen in love with trying to be creative and as a result he has gotten away from what his 3-4 zone blitz is suppose to be. It is sad. This isn’t working the way he is running this defense. He is now allowing opposing teams to dictate what he runs. Can you imagine Aaron Smith showing up to camp 15-20lbs lighter, and being ask to go get the QB? Makes no sense. Standing up Heyward or Keisel and even having them stand up outside of the tackles is mind boggling. Once in a while as a wrinkle is one thing but to change the scope of your 3-4 defense is ridiculous. Plain and simple, LeBeau is allowing teams ( and the league), to dictate what he does on defense. He is no longer running a 3-4 zone blitz at it's core.

This team has gone as far as it can under Mike Tomlin. Not being a good football team is one thing but to also lose its toughness is hard to swallow. This would have never happened under Bill Cohwer. The Steelers need to get him back as their head coach. He will regain the identity of this franchise. Whenever his teams were bad, he guaranteed in his press conference’s that he would get it right. And every time he did.

If this team is headed for a re-building ( and I see no way they aren’t), then trading Ben in the offseason is something that has to be considered. A Herschel Walker type trade. Getting the first, second, and maybe the third round picks along with Patrick Peterson of the Arizona Cardinals would be a huge step in re-building. A.J. McCarron is a winner. And he is the perfect QB to have in a run first/power attack offense. As important as an offense is, if the Pittsburgh Steelers do not have a dominating defense, then they are not the Pittsburgh Steelers. A shut down defense and a power running game will always work for this franchise. Regardless of what the rest of the league is doing.

Wanna know just how bad this team is right now? Wait until they actually play an upper-echelon team. Tennessee and Cincinnati are not.
    Haley's problem is not that he has never played football (though that certainly does not help). He has been coaching for long enough to overcome that. His problem is that he is an arrogant, self-righteous person, and, most importantly, he's been unsuccessful here. The more of the offense that he changes, the more we struggle. That does not inspire confidence. I don't know what Jack Bicknell does on a daily basis for this offensive line. I can't imagine them playing worse under any circumstances. I can't think of a single thing he has improved. DeCastro doesn't even look as good as he did post injury last season. Gilbert gets worse with every game. Adams is a RT only in this league. Velasco has only been here a week (and because of that and that alone, he may be our best OL).

Mike Tomlin has never been a football genius type. He is a leader who relies on a talented staff to do the fine tuning. Unfortunately, Haley is failing. I love Tomlin the person. He is a positive, charismatic, steady leader. But, he needs to make some tough changes to keep his job.

Colbert has survived for a long time on his reputation as a guy who never misses in the first round. Right now, Hood, DeCastro, and Heyward look like poor choices. The 2008 draft was a complete disaster. And, by continually and irresponsibly restructuring contracts, we've left this team with no real wiggle room for the foreseeable future (without creating an even larger problem). Colbert should go at the end of the year. Ozzie Newsome and even the Benglas FO have outworked him over the last 5 or so years.

Even if this team rights the ship and competes for a wild card spot (which is highly unlikely), the Super Bowl is out of reach.

The Rooney strategy of not panicking and staying the course is commendable. Their commitment to stability is great. However, they must realize that this ship is sinking and only drastic measures will save it. Simply executing better is not the answer. This team is one of the thinnest (talent/depth wise) in the NFL. The cupboard is relatively bare and the older players that won for us are either gone or just about over-the-hill (with the possible exception of Ben -and possibly Troy). I know that they will not want to say or acknowledge that we are rebuilding. But, in order to be successful in the near future, we must.
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steelhere10 View Post
    [URL]http://www.footballdb.com/teams/nfl/pittsburgh-steelers/roster/1991[/URL]
    Two HoFers for sure:

Rod Woodson

Dermontti Dawson

Numerous All-Pro players...

Cowher's roster was no weaker...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Steelhere10 View Post
    [URL]http://www.footballdb.com/teams/nfl/pittsburgh-steelers/roster/1991[/URL]
    Are you serious? These players were not pro bowlers or hall of famers when Cowher inherited them. Only Woodson was a pro bowler. They all became pro blowers and hall of famers under Cowher's offense and defense.
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelblood View Post
    Haley's problem is not that he has never played football (though that certainly does not help). He has been coaching for long enough to overcome that. His problem is that he is an arrogant, self-righteous person, and, most importantly, he's been unsuccessful here. The more of the offense that he changes, the more we struggle. That does not inspire confidence. I don't know what Jack Bicknell does on a daily basis for this offensive line. I can't imagine them playing worse under any circumstances. I can't think of a single thing he has improved. DeCastro doesn't even look as good as he did post injury last season. Gilbert gets worse with every game. Adams is a RT only in this league. Velasco has only been here a week (and because of that and that alone, he may be our best OL).

Mike Tomlin has never been a football genius type. He is a leader who relies on a talented staff to do the fine tuning. Unfortunately, Haley is failing. I love Tomlin the person. He is a positive, charismatic, steady leader. But, he needs to make some tough changes to keep his job.
    In a nutshell, that's the problem... Haley's inability/unwillingness to call plays that will allow the team's best offensive asset (Ben) to succeed. The o-line isn't great, but, I contend that Ben has never had a pro-bowl 5, and usually has a few solid guys with a pro bowler sprinkled in here and there. His biggest asset is the ability to scramble, avoid the pressure that he ALWAYS has and make the team succeed.

Tomlin is a Cowher clone - isn't really a play caller, but, a decision maker that motivates players in his own way. Haley is the issue - whether it's sports or your job, you know it's hard to get on board with a plan if you feel the guy leading you is an idiot. This is where we are right now....

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    Two HoFers for sure:

Rod Woodson

Dermontti Dawson

Sorry but the 1991 team (Noll's last), had one player make the pro bowl (Rod Woodson). Dermonti Dawson didn't become a pro bowler till 1992.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    Two HoFers for sure:

Rod Woodson

Dermontti Dawson

Then you add players like
    Bettis
    K Green
    Chad Brown
    Kirkland
    Steed
    Perry
    whom he all had on the roster at one point and it makes this comparison even dumber, if you ask me. Like I said Cowher had all that talent and it still took him forever to win the Big Game
    But he came somehow make a comeback and be the savior of the team. I'm still laughing.
    [url=http://img525.imageshack.us/i/steelers2010.jpg/]http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/2...eelers2010.jpg[/url]

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by birtikidis View Post
    I don't care about ranks. I watch. AJ Green was as shut down as you're gonna get. Two big plays were all the yards they had
    Maybe you should have watched something other than A. J. Green? The Bengals had 22 first downs and 407 total yards versus the Steelers Monday night.

Again, what would the outcome have been for this defense had it been Green Bay or Denver they were playing? 600 yards? 5-6 TD's?

It's ok, by the end of the year, you and the others will come around and see it for what it really is.