Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Steelers Chances of Retaining Keenan Lewis look Promising

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerOfDeVille View Post
    that subject line is SO misleading.. it's like posting, "TRACY PORTER SIGNS WTH STEELERS" then clicking inside and find it's someone's hope... LAME. Just saying.
    I explained that it looks promising because Keenan stated he wasn't greedy, likes it here, has a good rapport with Carnell lake. I also stated I have a gut feeling he would be signed, he's young, the Steelers put the time in to develope him, making him a good asset to the team.
    That said, there is no guarantee no matter how promising it looks.
    I would think the Steelers would have a contingency plan in place, whether we sign him or not.

I'm thinking if we sign him, the Steelers may attempt to either trade Ike Taylor to get an extra draft pick, or release him to save some money.
    If we don't sign him we pick a CB in round one to groom for Taylor's replacement which could be the near future. You can't have enough of good corners in this pass happy league so either way CB was my choice in round one.

Sorry about the post, never intended to mislead anyone, if it came across that way my apologies.

Legend

User Info Menu

That's OK, it's not like there's never been anything like that happen here before...it's more common than some of these people want to let on.

Legend

User Info Menu

Anyone remember when the delusional Keenan talked about being the best CB in the draft when we took him? He looked the part, but I always had this feeling he was a bit of a headcase.

I remember after his first season thinking I wish he took the approach of his good buddy Mike Wallace and just work hard on his game.

It's kinda weird how the paths for these 2 have played out. Lewis has become everything I thought Wallace was and vice versa. And looking back on it all, he just needed the right coach to thrive.

Could the same be said for Wallace? Does he need another coach to excel? And is coaching a systematic problem for the Steelers? It looks like our strength coach, OLine, and ST coach have been other underperformers. Is it a systematic problem? Are the coaches a bigger problem than the players?

Keenan Lewis suggests it very well could be.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    Anyone remember when the delusional Keenan talked about being the best CB in the draft when we took him? He looked the part, but I always had this feeling he was a bit of a headcase.

I remember after his first season thinking I wish he took the approach of his good buddy Mike Wallace and just work hard on his game.

It's kinda weird how the paths for these 2 have played out. Lewis has become everything I thought Wallace was and vice versa. And looking back on it all, he just needed the right coach to thrive.

Could the same be said for Wallace? Does he need another coach to excel? And is coaching a systematic problem for the Steelers? It looks like our strength coach, OLine, and ST coach have been other underperformers. Is it a systematic problem? Are the coaches a bigger problem than the players?

Interesting thought. You very well could be right. Guys WANT to play and play well for Lake and Lebeau. Maybe we need more of that on offense. Difficult to say if anyone really "likes" Haley. But maybe we need to try something new at the positional level.

When you think of former players that could become a coach, I know many have suggested Hines Ward. I just don't know if he could be coaching material. He certainly had the right work ethic/attitude. How about a guy like Swann? Imagine having both Swann and Lake on the team !

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eich View Post
    Interesting thought. You very well could be right. Guys WANT to play and play well for Lake and Lebeau. Maybe we need more of that on offense. Difficult to say if anyone really "likes" Haley. But maybe we need to try something new at the positional level.

When you think of former players that could become a coach, I know many have suggested Hines Ward. I just don't know if he could be coaching material. He certainly had the right work ethic/attitude. How about a guy like Swann? Imagine having both Swann and Lake on the team !
    I think a former QB would make a good WR coach. I think that's the reason guys like Ward and Stewart were natural WRs. How bout bringing back a guy like Tommy Maddox?

It would be fun to have a roster of former players as coaches. It might be a complete disaster, but it would be interesting.

How bout bringing back James Harrison as our strength coach after he retires. Guys would be afraid to not be in shape.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Could the same be said for Wallace? Does he need another coach to excel? And is coaching a I don't know if coaching is a systemactic
    problem for the Steelers? It looks like our strength coach, OLine, and ST coach have been other underperformers. Is it a systematic problem? Are the coaches a bigger problem than the players?

I don't know if coaching is a systemactic issue, it appears it just took Keenan a little longer to develope his skills. Since Carnell lake took over I would think the entire secondary improved except in one catagory....interceptions.
    Our secondary is coached to not give up the big play, and making the tackle. I'm wondering if the players are concentrating so much on not giving up the play they don't focus as much on making INT's.

Sometimes players say things to motivate themselves, like when Keenan said at the beginning of the year he'll be a pro bowl corner.
    As for Mike I would say he's better suited for the deep passing game, maybe Haley's style of offense isn't the right fit for him as his numbers went down.
    I still think Wallace will return to form with the right offense, usually have a high YPA average, even in Haley's offense he was still our most productive receiver catching 8 td's and leading the team in receptions. I f I remember correctly most of those TD's were made from deep passing routes, something Ben Likes but Haley has other idea's.

Legend

User Info Menu

I think a former QB would make a good WR coach. I think that's the reason guys like Ward and Stewart were natural WRs. How bout bringing back a guy like Tommy Maddox?

It would be fun to have a roster of former players as coaches. It might be a complete disaster, but it would be interesting.

How bout bringing back James Harrison as our strength coach after he retires. Guys would be afraid to not be in shape.
    I love both ideas !

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BradshawsHairdresser View Post
    That's OK, it's not like there's never been anything like that happen here before...it's more common than some of these people want to let on.
    "look promising" isn't misleading at all...